What's new
What's new

Vactra #2 for spindle lube

Mobil Vactra is a way lube, not a spindle oil. It contains a tackifier, where a spindle oil doesn't. Even the lowest viscosity way lube, is too thick for a spindle oil.

Try Fuchs Renolin SP series for spindle oils. Typical spindle oils range in viscosity from 3 to 22.

Mobil Vactra is a way lube, not a spindle oil. It contains a tackifier, where a spindle oil doesn't. Even the lowest viscosity way lube, is too thick for a spindle oil.

Try Fuchs Renolin SP series for spindle oils. Typical spindle oils range in viscosity from 3 to 22.

Why not just use the right stuff? Mobil Velocite #10 spindle oil...

Hi all,

After reading this thread, I went for Mobil One 5w30 in my SB 9A. Can't beat picking up a quart at Autozone, right?

But the lathe would seize whenever I tried to run it at top speed. After this happened a few terrifying times, and after fiddling with the shims, adding the roller thrust bearing, tightening and loosening the bearing bolts, measuring and re-measuring the deflection of the spindle, etc, I gave up and bought a gallon of Velocite 10.

Runs smooth as butter now at all speeds, with no heat.

Hi all,

After reading this thread, I went for Mobil One 5w30 in my SB 9A. Can't beat picking up a quart at Autozone, right?

But the lathe would seize whenever I tried to run it at top speed. After this happened a few terrifying times, and after fiddling with the shims, adding the roller thrust bearing, tightening and loosening the bearing bolts, measuring and re-measuring the deflection of the spindle, etc, I gave up and bought a gallon of Velocite 10.

Runs smooth as butter now at all speeds, with no heat.

Wow - it actually seized :eek: ??

I guess the detergents help to suspend the particles, which is why they always say to avoid that type. Again, wow, I learned something here.

Wow - it actually seized :eek: ??

I guess the detergents help to suspend the particles, which is why they always say to avoid that type. Again, wow, I learned something here.

This actually seemed like simple lubrication failure, where the bearings just went dry and it would crash to a halt. After letting it cool down and loosening the bolts, I could get the spindle moving and it would turn freely again at the slower speeds.

I was really surprised at how thin and watery the Velocite 10 is. The Mobil 1 (and any engine oil I've ever handled) seems much much thicker.

It sucks, I'm sure I did decades worth of wear/damage to the bearing surfaces in those seizures.

I will admit: You guys have totally confused me! :willy_nilly:

I have a chart that I downloaded from one of the links I found here. It shows A, B, and C oils. The A is for the spindle, the B is for the quick-change gearbox, and the C is everything else.

I understand the Veloctite #10 for the Spindle Oil. (A)

I understand the Vactra #2 for the "everything else." (C)

What is correct for the B? The rating on the chart shows 150-240 Sec.

Also, what should I use for the open gears? I've seen a number of suggestions. What about no-sling motorcycle chain oil? That seems clean, and doesn't gum up.

Thanks,
Mike

As a new South Bend owner I found this thread very helpful. It took me a while to find it and to be confident in what to buy. Lucky me all I need to buy is the DTE 32 and 68.

edit: So i guess I never figured out what to put on the gear train (Magnalube G)?

so here is my bump to the top

Travis

So after reading this,iam still stuck.i live in a small town,limited availibility of common lubricants,nevermind the odd stuff.so i dont know what i can do to get my 9a running on workable lube.nearest i found was nutoa22,data sheet refers to it as hydraulic oil.the reference to mobil1 5w30 seemed promising til i read more.

i am leaning toward compressor oil,as i have seen how long air compressors run and they commonly have bushings on the cranks in some of the older pumps.

guess i could try it and monitor the bearing temps.
i dont really want to start a debate here,i am simply looking for advice.
thanks for reading.
Frank
new to lathes,old to forums.

MSC and ENCO will often run a free shipping ad on a purchase of $25 or more. Use that and buy the right fluids. I have found that when I first got the machines, I thought that I would only need a quart or so of lubricant, I quickly learned that the more time you spend on the machine, that greater its thirst for oil. Just buy a gallon and never worry about it again. If you don't want or don't think you will need a gallon, split it up like we did in the beginning of the post ,we did that a couple of years ago and it worked out good.
Here is the chart for the smaller SB
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/haplesspeanut/Main/LUBECHRT.jpg
Here is what I use for my 13x40 SB
Lubrication

Steve

Steve,i would definitely go with reccomended lubes.
its the availibility issues.
looked at the lube chart,its exactly the type of chart that makes sense to me.i want to make it poster size.hope you dont mind.
when i find the right lubes,i will be labelling the bottles,maybe color coding them as well as where they apply.
i wont be the only person using this lathe,i want to make sure its cared for properly.

Thanks again,
Frank

Well I feel dumb, I just realized your location. I know that ENCO will ship to you, I just don't know what the associated fees would be. They have great customer service, give them a call and see what they can do for you.
The chart is great but it is not mine, but I am sure the creator would not mind a print for your own machine. Good luck with the oils.
Steve

autofrite: I live in Winnipeg, if you get this way I'd give you a liter - bring your own container though. I bet you can get it at Luke's machinery here in town as well.

thanks for the offer,if i make a trip in,i would make a point of hitting lukes or spence or -well the list could grow as i thought about it.i wouldnt expect you to give away your oil but i may just drop by.cool to meet someone on the site that is almost local.

Question: I purchased a starter pack from bluechipmachineship and am trying to match up the letters A,B,C used on South bend charts with the oils I purchased.

Can you tell me which of the oils I have is ABC? (or compatible with)

Mobil vactra #2 way oil (I'm guessing SB didn't use a letter for this one)

Mobil velocite #6 spindle oil (guessing this is type A)

Mobil DTE heavy/medium circulating oil (I'm guessing I can use this wherever type B or type C is mentioned)

thanks!

BTW here's a direct link to my purchase:

Home Shop Machinist Lubrication Starter Pack - Felt - Blue Chip Machine Shop - (Powered by CubeCart)

Question: I purchased a starter pack from bluechipmachineship and am trying to match up the letters A,B,C used on South bend charts with the oils I purchased.

Can you tell me which of the oils I have is ABC? (or compatible with)

Mobil vactra #2 way oil (I'm guessing SB didn't use a letter for this one)

Mobil velocite #6 spindle oil (guessing this is type A)

Mobil DTE heavy/medium circulating oil (I'm guessing I can use this wherever type B or type C is mentioned)

thanks!

BTW here's a direct link to my purchase:

Home Shop Machinist Lubrication Starter Pack - Felt - Blue Chip Machine Shop - (Powered by CubeCart)

Just go here: South Bend Recommended Lubricants

MCRUFF-
I have been using Velocite #6 on my bronze spindle bearings on my 1930 Model O series heavy 9. Should I be using the heavier #6. I have had no problems with #6 but I noticed it is quite thin and does run thru quickly, but not that bad.

Regards.
Skipd1

MCRUFF-
I have been using Velocite #6 on my bronze spindle bearings on my 1930 Model O series heavy 9. Should I be using the heavier #6. I have had no problems with #6 but I noticed it is quite thin and does run thru quickly, but not that bad.

Regards.
Skipd1

The oil will probably work but it will go thru the spindle way to fast, I bought some by accident and found that I used nearly 4x the amout of oil over the #10 oil. The correct weight for the South Bend workshop 9" is Velocite #10. Now when I run my lathe I run it for aa bout 6 hours or more at a time with no heating problems, didn't have heating problems with the #6 but I had to add oil several times running the machine that long with the the #6.

After finding the very helpful South Bend Recommended Lubricant thread, I reformatted it to a table and added McMaster-Carr links.
Prices from 2022-August
Short NameDescription
ISO​
SAE​
McMaster-Carr
1 Gallon Jugs
MSCdirect
Way OilMobile Vactra #2
Manufacturer's #: 98458N
68​
20​
$41.54$82.22