What's new
What's new

Valve Core (Schrader) Drill/Ream/Tap?

VFCNC

Plastic
Anyone have a bead on a tool to do a standard valve stem seat?
It seems like I can find the 5v1 (.210-36) tap pretty easily, but thats like 20% of what makes a valve core seat and seal.

I've done enough research to find the spec, so I guess I need to find a tapered reamer, send it to the right depth, and thread above that. This feels like you could have a fancy tapered reamer/tap tool in one to do these in brass and aluminum, super fast after predrilling the two sizes.

The lead for the tap would be a poor choice for feed rate for the reamer, impossible if forming a tapered seat
Possibly the drill as a form tool would work. Would you post the specs?

This begs the question 'why would you want to machine something complex when you can buy it for a few pinnies' but here's hoping you have a real need...

This begs the question 'why would you want to machine something complex when you can buy it for a few pinnies' but here's hoping you have a real need...
To bastardise George Mallory's reason for climbing Everest "because it's there"

"Because I can"

I think a lot of posts on this forum fall into that category. Maybe we need a version of the verification process like on Alibaba where they rate suppliers.

1. Curently machine for a living. Excluding my buddy gave me a six pack to skim the head of his V8 on my Atlas lathe which is in my kitchen currently being used to bbq a pig on the spit or more appropriately a piglet. Also excludes button pushers, I can teach the checkout chick how to be a button pusher.
2. Used to machine for a living. Cutoff dates apply, we don't run line drive anymore.
3. I have some half decent machines in my workshop and actually know how to use them properly.
3. I'm an apprentice, welcome aboard our rapidly sinking ship.
4. I'm an engineer. Fuck off back to your office before I stab you through the eyeball with a screwdriver.
5. I've subscribed to Abom/Titans/PM and I wear my cap backwards like Ian Sandusky so I'm qualified.
6. I know someone from category 5.
7. I met someone who knows someone from category 5.
6. I once dreamt I was in category 1 in a past life. Dream on its an exclusive club.

All categories to be verified by a grumpy current/recent category 1 person. No certifiers who start a conversation with "back in the day" or "real men use manual machines"

To bastardise George Mallory's reason for climbing Everest "because it's there"

"Because I can"

I think a lot of posts on this forum fall into that category. Maybe we need a version of the verification process like on Alibaba where they rate suppliers.

1. Curently machine for a living. Excluding my buddy gave me a six pack to skim the head of his V8 on my Atlas lathe which is in my kitchen currently being used to bbq a pig on the spit or more appropriately a piglet. Also excludes button pushers, I can teach the checkout chick how to be a button pusher.
2. Used to machine for a living. Cutoff dates apply, we don't run line drive anymore.
3. I have some half decent machines in my workshop and actually know how to use them properly.
3. I'm an apprentice, welcome aboard our rapidly sinking ship.
4. I'm an engineer. Fuck off back to your office before I stab you through the eyeball with a screwdriver.
5. I've subscribed to Abom/Titans/PM and I wear my cap backwards like Ian Sandusky so I'm qualified.
6. I know someone from category 5.
7. I met someone who knows someone from category 5.
6. I once dreamt I was in category 1 in a past life. Dream on its an exclusive club.

All categories to be verified by a grumpy current/recent category 1 person. No certifiers who start a conversation with "back in the day" or "real men use manual machines"
You are such a creative dickhead.
Can we be friends ?
Wow. You are my internal voice when people at work
say stupid shlt, and I have to keep quiet to keep my job.
I bow to you. 10-Q.

-Doozer

• Haha
Reactions: ???
The Schrader valve is one of the few components that have been fitted to every automobile in one application or another since the times of the Model T.
I have a four way "reconditioning service tool" in my kit. Likely something from K-D. Thread restorer and taper seat reamer, core removal split screwdriver , and external cap tread restoring tool.

I imagine they are common, but not up to the task of producing a new valve from raw stock.

I do machine for a living! I'm just new, and have had no formal training or worked under anyone who knows more than I do.
I learned on my machines after I bought them, and still stumble my way through the learning process.

In this case, I'm been given an RFQ for a custom hot rod AC service port/firewall mount. It acts as both the service ports (hence the need for valve core machining) and a bulkhead that passes through the firewall.

Cool part, they would like 100 of them. Worth my time to figure out the best way to machine these.

Congrats on training yourself. It's not impossible of you've got a head on yiur shoulders, and you're not afraid of study.

You'll probably have to have someone make a porting tool for you. A little searching and I couldn't find any. It's common for the tool to make the tap drill size and the seat in one shot. But, as gbent says, you can't tap at the same time.

Normally I don't try to second guess tolerances and designs when I quote a job. At least it's not the first thing that pops into my head, like some of the folks round here. But this does seem like reinventing the wheel. Schrader bulkhead fittings are pretty cheap, and time tested. It sounds like this might be a logical way to go this time.

Back