What's new
What's new

Van Norman History (currently owned by?)

I assume RPI acquired Van Norman from Atlantic as they also did rebuilds of Atlantic Jig Bore machines. The RPI auction was July 2015.
I'm wondering if Atlantic acquired VN from Gulf and Western or whether G&W acquired Atlantic along with VN and then Atlantic just built the mills. Pretty sure G&W got bought by Textron but I don't know when. Haven't had time to research it yet. I already found that Myron Bowling auction and downloaded pictures of the VN machines. So did RPI acquire the VN tech specs from Atlantic or Textron? Just thinking out loud here, I'll eventually look into it.
That "Wayback Machine" website is a wonder. I was browsing through the Wikipedia and one of the references on the article was to a website belonging to a fellow called John M. Kasunich. It is no longer in service but the archive software saved this part of his website on the Van Norman machines: https://web.archive.org/web/20160320155341/http://jmkasunich.com/vannorman/VN_Home.htm

I don't know if he had anything like blueprints on there, but there is some technical data from a range of the machines that they produced.
The Kasunich website is a well know resource to the few VN collectors for looking up serials. Good idea about using Wayback to perform searches.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Freedom of Information Act request to the Army and Navy for all technical documents, schematics, prints, records, etc pertaining to Van Norman milling machines. I was never in the service so I don't know what type of documents they would have on hand. I would think the navy would have a lot of info as their on board shops had to be self sufficient? Pretty sure Ive seen 1r3-22's with government property tags. I think the army had them. Any thoughts on how to see if the military has any documents?

That "Wayback Machine" website is a wonder. I was browsing through the Wikipedia and one of the references on the article was to a website belonging to a fellow called John M. Kasunich. It is no longer in service but the archive software saved this part of his website on the Van Norman machines: https://web.archive.org/web/20160320155341/http://jmkasunich.com/vannorman/VN_Home.htm

I don't know if he had anything like blueprints on there, but there is some technical data from a range of the machines that they produced.

I want to say he was a member of this forum back in the early days.

We have a press where I work that has two tags riveted on the frame. The top one says "Van Norman Machine Company, Division of Universal American Corp. Springfield 7, Mass. U.S.A. Manufactured By" and on a seperate tag underneath it says "F. A. Nugier Co.,6374 Arizona Circle, Los Angeles 45, Calif. Model H80 14, Capacity 80 Tons, Serial Number VN1147"

Obviously built by Nugier and marketed by Van Norman. Even has Van Norman orange paint. No date on it but before ZIP codes were used so maybe 50's or very early 60's ? Also has VN serial number so clearly built for Van Norman. Don't know if anyone has mentioned presses before but I figured I would share it as part of Van Norman history.

We have a press where I work that has two tags riveted on the frame. The top one says "Van Norman Machine Company, Division of Universal American Corp. Springfield 7, Mass. U.S.A. Manufactured By" and on a seperate tag underneath it says "F. A. Nugier Co.,6374 Arizona Circle, Los Angeles 45, Calif. Model H80 14, Capacity 80 Tons, Serial Number VN1147"

Obviously built by Nugier and marketed by Van Norman. Even has Van Norman orange paint. No date on it but before ZIP codes were used so maybe 50's or very early 60's ? Also has VN serial number so clearly built for Van Norman. Don't know if anyone has mentioned presses before but I figured I would share it as part of Van Norman history.
Thanks for contributing this information

It might be Van Norman is a lost cause here (unfortunately!). Sure would be nice if drawings for other machines like K&T mills could be open-sourced. I'm not sure whether some of the remaining companies that sell parts for these (e.g. Hughs Machinery) have the drawings...

Maybe there was a link between Excello and Atlantic? There's a 1R3 on eBay right now with these tags on the side... the "XLO" might imply a connection to the Excello Corp.

Screenshot_20220704-140540_eBay.jpg

I went to the machinist school at Aberdeen proving Grounds in MD in the late 80's. We used early Van Norman horizontal mills. I don't remember which models but I would bet they were WWII vintage. They kept records on all their machines. You might try checking there. The Air Force didn't have a machinist school, we used the one at Aberdeen. We had a 60 person unit there.
I am trying to acquire a very early VN no. 2 Duplex mill probably pre 1920. It hasn't been used in in a decade or more. It is inside and hooked up to power, the guy just won't let it go. LOL
John

Hi. That would be me. That website was hosted on a computer in my basement. When the computer died so did the site. I think the hard disk might still be OK. I should attempt to retrieve all the site data and figure out a new home for it. Maybe in my plentiful spare time (ha ha). I'm hoping to retire in another year or two, I'll try to get to it eventually.
I didn't have any blueprints, just a list of serial numbers vs date of manufacture and some other random information.
I'm really bummed out to hear that the drawings, etc at RPI were trashed.

John, I would be quite happy to rehost your data if/when you get around to checking the old disk.
I just looked at the wayback machine's snapshot of my site, and they have everything. Simplest way to bring it back to life would be to just copy it from the wayback machine. As copyright holder on the original site, I hereby give permission to anyone who wants to publicly host the site to copy as needed. Please leave my original copyright notice at the bottom of each page, but feel free to take credit for the hosting and/or modify the pages as necessary, adding yourself to the copyright notice.

I have some paper manuals and catalogs in a drawer at home. I think the smart thing to do with those is to host them at Keith Rucker's Vintage Machinery site. I just registered there and will look into the steps needed to get them online.

Van Norman Rotary Broach model 570AF
Guys, I could use a hand. I just picked one of these up and it has but one set of head jaws, ( Pictured ) yet it requires 3 sets, and they are 3 different styles.
I think these, then a set that are just points, easy enough to make, but according to the literature, there is also the " Offset Jaws " and no picture to even go by.
So, I need the jaws, drawings or pictures if you can help with that.
Also, there are three and four jaw chucks that go on this thing for re-surfacing pressure plates. I have an illustration, no dimensions and think it would be nice to make or purchase those as well.
After that, I think she is fully feathered out.
I'd be awful thankful for any sort of help you may be willing to extend.
Thanks!!
Mark

Attachments

• DSC06791.JPG
    DSC06791.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 8
I know I'm late to add to this thread, and while I understand that few people associate the old Van Norman milling machines with WVN. I run into a few of the VN drawings in my archives with the WVN Drawings. most of the IP of the VN Automotive machines is held by WVN. I would say that I've always been told the old VN Industrial milling machine drawings were thrown out, to concur with the previous statements here.

not sure I'd be much help getting information on the machines though.

cheers,
Z

Back