What's new
What's new

vee belt information

Metric cogged belts have the most sidewall area. They are deeper by 0.083 when new. And they are .011 wider at the top when looking at side view.
I don't think sidewall area matters all that much. The width of the reinforcement along the top determines the strength, and the wedge angle determines the slip/wear/efficiency.
The extra area may reduce wear I suppose. Just make sure you don't have a pulley where the belt sits flush with the pulley OD.
Being all 40 degree belts they should be fine either way.

My reason is that some belt sizes I use are not available in cog.
Cogged V-belts can reach 30% higher HP rating depending on motor and pulley applications, they run cooler and last longer. They maintain about 2% higher efficiency than V-belts, which in a continuous long running motor aspect would transmit to energy savings. They are less forgiving in slip or shock start/stop such as instance reverse motors. If this is a fractional HP drive system, and not continuous duty cycle, other than more pulley contact, the differences are small. If there are any doubts about application, choose the cogged belt as Strostkovy suggested.

Cogged V-belts can reach 30% higher HP rating depending on motor and pulley applications, they run cooler and last longer. They maintain about 2% higher efficiency than V-belts, which in a continuous long running motor aspect would transmit to energy savings. They are less forgiving in slip or shock start/stop such as instance reverse motors. If this is a fractional HP drive system, and not continuous duty cycle, other than more pulley contact, the differences are small. If there are any doubts about application, choose the cogged belt as Strostkovy suggested.
In a situation with a high pulley ration and the distance between pulleys is small. The contact around the circumference on the small
pulley could be 120 degrees. I'm going to get metric cogged V belts because they are deeper by 0,080". More side wall area.

Opinions on synthetic rubber EPDM belts like this one. A Gates equivalent is also made with EPDM. I don't know if real rubber is the past.
:drink:

Last edited:
In a situation with a high pulley ration and the distance between pulleys is small. The contact around the circumference on the small
pulley could be 120 degrees. I'm going to get metric cogged V belts because they are deeper by 0,080". More side wall area.

Opinions on synthetic rubber EPDM belts like this one. A Gates equivalent is also made with EPDM. I don't know if real rubber is the past.
:drink:
EPDM is a superior modern belt, but a little harder to detect long term wear. I personally use Gates belts as they are USA made and their drive and belt design docs and apps are great.
I'm almost done with a synchronous belt drive system for a CNC lathe conversion, and the POWERGRIP GT4 belts are awesome. As far as cross reference, I didn't see a 13mm width, there was 12mm (0.480 or 0.490), I crossed for you, a plain XL, (8701-9700) at 1778mm, an XPA (SPAX) (94201-1757) at 1774mm, a XPA (94201-1782) at 1802mm and a TRI-POWER AX68 (90126-068 or 90122-068) at 1778mm. These are in effective length, so check your specs for OC-IC matches.

Back