What's new
What's new

VFD for Hardinge DSM-59

Ronno6

Aluminum
A Hardinge DSM-59 followed me home yesterday.
Unloaded it and set it in place.
Time for power.
The Hardinge is 220v 3 phase 1 HP, and I have 220v 1 phase power.
I need to acquire a VFD.
Do I just need a drive for 1hp?
The lathe has a power cord connected.
Will connecting to the VFD be a matter of removing the plug, terminating the wires and connecting to the VFD ?

Will connecting to the VFD be a matter of removing the plug, terminating the wires and connecting to the VFD ?
No.
There are contacts that open and close between the plug and the motor. The VFD must be directly connected to your motor.
Then you may not need anything in your control cabinet. Keep everything, you might need a RPC one day when the VFD is out.

I suggest a 2Hp or more VFD. There price difference is so small in that hp range. Get a 5 Hp VFD.
All you may need is a 1.5 to 2 Hp VFD. A 5 Hp will give you components that won't be stressed to their extreme ends.

Last edited:
I have a RPC that was originally connected to a 5hp compressor.
It cost me too much HP to operate the compressor at high pressures, having given up 1/3 of tge 5hp motor.
Would I still lose 1/3 of the Hardinge's 1hp motor?

If I connect the VFD directly yo the motor, will I lose the speed and direction controls of the Hardinge?

"Would I still lose 1/3 of the Hardinge's 1hp motor?"
???
Use a 5 Hp RPC. That is normal with a lot of folks.

Your controls would be on the VFD or any kind of external switch or speed knob.

As I do not yet have a VFD, can I use the RPC and retain the stock lever/brake functions?
Will I lose HP ?

Early DSM-59 lathes have a spindle motor and may have a coolant pump motor. Later lathes will also have a variable spindle speed control motor. In either case, the OEM spindle motor will be a 2-speed type. A rotary phase converter is always the least complex way to power these lathes. The RPC just hooks up to the lathe's power cord. You do have to be sure you connect the three hot wires so the spindle turns forward when the lathe direction lever is in the forward position and the odd leg does not go to the lathe's control transformer. Those things just have to be done correctly once and then forgotten.

If you use a VFD to power the spindle motor, connect it so it only powers the high speed windings of the motor. The original two levers on the bed that do Fwd-Brake-Rev and Low-Stop-High will not work unless you figure out how to rewire their switches to run the VFD control terminals. If you have a coolant pump or speed control motor, they will need a separate power source. It gets complicated.

Larry

I think what I had was a static phase conteoller....dunno where it even is at present.
I may seek an RPC.......

Would this do the trick?

Last edited:
I think what I had was a static phase conteoller....dunno where it even is at present.
I may seek an RPC.......

Would this do the trick?
No thanks for that ebay stuff.

guys if the machine will run off a RPC why would it not run off the VFD?
is the concern not running the VFD at the proper frequency and burning up other componats?
thanks guys!

Last edited:
ron give a little time its Sunday :)
does the lathe have multip volatge requirments.
is everything three phase in the machine?
do you have a coolant pump if so see what it is.
when you got that machine was it under power?
if so did you look or know if there was any power supply other than the three phase?
also seems i recall the issue is not in running the machine but the interuption from the hish speed winding to the low that can cause issue with the VFD

post a pic of the controle plate it should possable say what the volatge is as well as the controle voltage
the guys around here know what they are saying for the most part i am sure they will be able to offer good advice.

Last edited:
If I can find it, I have a 5hp 3ph motor that could serve as an idler..... that would leave
me needing to purchase a controller. I am uncertain about the start procedure,tho. Maybe the control provides the starting function? i can't see myself pull starting my RPC idler..... Could I wire the idler thru a straight converter to get it up to speed, then switch to the RPC control?? So much to discover......

If I can find it, I have a 5hp 3ph motor that could serve as an idler..... that would leave
me needing to purchase a controller. I am uncertain about the start procedure,tho. Maybe the control provides the starting function? i can't see myself pull starting my RPC idler..... Could I wire the idler thru a straight converter to get it up to speed, then switch to the RPC control?? So much to discover......
A controller would be called a contact switch with three contacts.

You can just connect the 5Hp idler as shown without any capacitors and rope start it.
Later you can add push buttons for starting and stopping.
rotaryconverter.gif

Last edited:
The issue, with the VFD is as stated above, is that a)there are 115 volt single-phase controls, b) there are THREE 3-phase motors (spindle, speed control, and pump)--a VFD is not compatible with that.
so you cant grab a leg off the VFD for the 115?
so he will have to run a RPC ( what i run in my shop ) or isolate the 115v circits and run them seperate?

car2 I only have the Hardinge that needs 3 phase. I changed the motor on my compressor to single phase several years ago...... I still have the old 3ph, motor from it (somewhere) and may be able to use it as the idler for an RPC........

There is no 115V to ground from any VFD. In most cases, the voltage to ground is not a constant, because of the way VFDs work.

You "could" get a 115 output from a transformer, BUT, you would have to not use the "variable frequency" feature. You would have to just use the VFD as a 3 phase converter, and you would need to oversize it significantly to handle the motor start surge.

At that point, you may as well use an RPC, or, for some usages, a Phase-Perfect.

Back