What's new
What's new

VFD on Mill with power feed and DRO?

Zach.

Plastic
I have an acramill milling machine with some 110v receptacles on the back. The mill is equipped with a X power table feed and a DRO. I was wondering if there is any way to use a VFD to run all of it or if I need to consider an alternative.
Thanks!

My motor is 2hp 220v. Motor nameplate And my home shop has single phase.
You will need a VFD to convert your single phase to 3 phase for the mill’s motor. I like the Teco L510 VFD’s. You will need to figure out what size VFD to get. I imagine a 3HP VFD will suit your 2HP motor but I’m not an expert.
The mill’s power feed plugs into one of the outlets along with the DRO?

You will need a VFD to convert your single phase to 3 phase for the mill’s motor. I like the Teco L510 VFD’s. You will need to figure out what size VFD to get. I imagine a 3HP VFD will suit your 2HP motor but I’m not an expert.
The mill’s power feed plugs into one of the outlets along with the DRO?
Yes it does. It has a 4 prong 3 phase plug which leads to the receptacle where the dro and power feed are plugged in, then there is a wire that leads to the mill motor's original power switch, finally there is the wire that leads to a small cover on the side of the motor.

Yes it does. It has a 4 prong 3 phase plug which leads to the receptacle where the dro and power feed are plugged in, then there is a wire that leads to the mill motor's original power switch, finally there is the wire that leads to a small cover on the side of the motor.

Did you say that the mill’s motor is 220V single phase? That arrangement sounds like the mill is already setup up for single phase 220V. The power feed and dro most likely tap 115V power off one of the 220V phase wires. Does the 4 prong main plug look like a stove plug?

Last edited:
Did you say that the mill’s motor is 220V single phase? That arrangement sounds like the mill is already setup up for single phase 220V. The power feed and dro most likely tap 115V power off one of the 220V phase wires. Does the main plug look like a stove plug?
The motor says that it is 3 phase 220v. Also im pretty sure that the outlets in my garage are 120v. I attached a picture of the plug.

Thanks for the replys so far.

Attachments

• 20230102_160849.jpg
    20230102_160849.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 2
The motor says that it is 3 phase 220v. Also im pretty sure that the outlets in my garage are 120v. I attached a picture of the plug.

Thanks for the replys so far.
The DRO and the power feed should have a data plate with voltage requirements. What are the voltages? You are going to need a 220V receptacle in your garage. Stove receptacle wired to a 220v 40 amp circuit breaker is what I use.

Last edited:
The DRO and the power feed should have a data plate with voltage requirements. What are the voltages? You are going to need a 220V plug in your garage. Stove receptacle wired to a 220v 40 amp circuit breaker is what I use.
Yea, I was thinking I would need to get the 220v plug installed. The power feed says 50/60hz 120v 3.0 amps, and the DRO says 100-240v ~ 50/60hz 18VA. I attached a picture of the back of the DRO.

I read somthing that mentioned that using a vfd matched to your motors power can run with 95% + efficiency but if the vfd is rated for a higher power motor then it would be less efficient and possibly not be able to take full advantage of the VFDs overload protection features. So I'm unsure about plugging the power feed into the mills outlet because the mill's motor can draw 5.6-6.2 amps and the power feed can draw 3 amps. A 2hp vfd is usually rated for about 7.5 amps.
And I'm unsure about using a 3hp VFD for my 2hp motor from what I've heard, despite the 3hp VFDs usually being rated for about 10.5 amps.

Attachments

• 20230102_173753.jpg
    20230102_173753.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 0
I have done this conversion many times.
220 volt, 20 amp single phase to a receptacle is required for the VFD.
You'll need a VFD with a rating of 3 hp, 3 phase; it needs to be "over-rated" because you're only supplying with single phase.
Plug your power feed and DRO into separate 120 volt, single phase for simplicity.
I would recommend this VFD, exactly as I use.
Bob

I have done this conversion many times.
220 volt, 20 amp single phase to a receptacle is required for the VFD.
You'll need a VFD with a rating of 3 hp, 3 phase; it needs to be "over-rated" because you're only supplying with single phase.
Plug your power feed and DRO into separate 120 volt, single phase for simplicity.
I would recommend this VFD, exactly as I use.
Bob
Thank you for this information.

Your mill must have a transformer built in somewhere. The DRO and power feed use single phase 115V. You can simply plug those into the wall but I would take advantage of the built in transformer on mill.

Your mill must have a transformer built in somewhere. The DRO and power feed use single phase 115V. You can simply plug those into the wall but I would take advantage of the built in transformer on mill.
I wouldn't.

The transformer (and the DRO and Power Feed) is looking for 50/60Htz.

If the VFD is not going to get used for anything OTHER than a static and unchanging single speed output, the Transformer will work, but you will have spent a bunch of money on a VFD and skipped the most useful part, which is the availability to dial the speed up and down as you see fit.

Plug theDRO and the Power Feed, to a dedicated line from the wall. Run the 220 to the VFD, and wire in the speed Potentiometer, braking resistor, and/or, any of the other features. Disconnect the transformer, lest it get funky at either way too high, or way too low, a frequency.

I wouldn't.

The transformer (and the DRO and Power Feed) is looking for 50/60Htz.

If the VFD is not going to get used for anything OTHER than a static and unchanging single speed output, the Transformer will work, but you will have spent a bunch of money on a VFD and skipped the most useful part, which is the availability to dial the speed up and down as you see fit.

Plug theDRO and the Power Feed, to a dedicated line from the wall. Run the 220 to the VFD, and wire in the speed Potentiometer, braking resistor, and/or, any of the other features. Disconnect the transformer, lest it get funky at either way too high, or way too low, a frequency.
Thanks for the input

Back