What's new
What's new

Victor 400 x 750 lathe

Chrome ways on that Bridgeport by the looks of it. They don't usually wear, but the other surface that runs on it will.
The rusty handles is a sign of not much use as well, they stay polished on a machine that gets used.

If it were me, and if you weren't already planning on doing so, I think I'd make the extra effort and at least pull the table and Y axis apart on that BP. You might be surprised at how many chips you find in there. And it's then a good time to verify all the oil ports and lines are in fact open and getting oil from the one shot. Cleaning all the likely congealed and contaminated oil from the slides, nuts and feed screws with a good solvent will make it a whole lot smoother. And almost for sure the gibs haven't been adjusted in a very long time.

If it were me, and if you weren't already planning on doing so, I think I'd make the extra effort and at least pull the table and Y axis apart on that BP. You might be surprised at how many chips you find in there. And it's then a good time to verify all the oil ports and lines are in fact open and getting oil from the one shot. Cleaning all the likely congealed and contaminated oil from the slides, nuts and feed screws with a good solvent will make it a whole lot smoother. And almost for sure the gibs haven't been adjusted in a very long time.
Plan of attack was worked out yesterday. Luckily the customer has a huge factory that does steering reconditioning so lots of cleaning gear.

Pull ram.
Remove readout.
Remove and strip X axis table completely.
Same for Y axis.
Pull knee.
Remove power box and wiring.
Water blast clean the base.
Clean sump.
Reassemble with new wiring where needed.
New way seals.
New bearings if needed.
New drive belt, as usual it has been run too high and too low so is damaged.
Clear lube lines and replace any hoses needing it.
Anything else I see that needs repair or replacing during clean up will be sorted at the time.

Judging by the state of the machines and how rusty the swarf was I don't think they actually saw much work. Luckily this isn't my first rodeo but I've probably missed something on my list anyway.

I'll post pictures during and after. As I've said before these machines aren't showroom queens they need to earn there keep, so no painting or polishing unless absolutely necessary.

Just did a test cut on the Victor. .015 mm taper on diameter over 150 mm with the outboard end being smaller which indicates the head stock is probably slightly out. Took a 10 mm deep cut so 20 mm off radius just to check, fan in workshop was louder than the lathe. This is one beefy mother of a lathe. I'm happy that I will be able to significantly speed up work with the heavier lathe. On close inspection there is a little wear and all the wipers need replacing. The machine is very dirty and I am going to disassemble the apron so that I can ensure the lube is getting to were it needs to. Still a good buy seeing as a machine of similar heft and quality bought new in Australia would cost me over 30k. Came with a taper turning attachment, fixed steady, a ton of large drills, drill chucks, multiple centers, boring bars, miscellaneous tooling,extra chucks and free rust :D. Busy cleaning out the sump, I'm sure there may be some undiscovered swamp dwelling organisms in there.

Back