What's new
What's new

Vise mounting advise

usolutions

Cast Iron
Hi
I have quite a stupid situation right now. I have matsuura ra3g with pallet, that has hole pattern 80x80mm M16. No T slots. Also I have Rohm RS 160mm vise. No hole pattern on the vise aligns hole pattern on pallet. I have material to machine clamps for it, but first i need to mount the vise to the table to perform said actions. I can almost fit it between two holes in length of vise using spacers. Bolts are out right on the side of the slots, like 2/3 of diameter of engagement. I am not sure if i want to drill mounting holes into the pallet, as this vise mount is temporary, planning to use OK-vise setup in near future.

Bar stock, drill a hole at one end leaving enough between your hole and the end of the bar do as to allow it to reach the vise, get some all thread or a bolt of the required length, a block of something for the heel of the clamp, and now you have your vise clamped down so you can make your vise clamps.

For future use, you should get a standard mill clamping kit with M16 studs. It will come with T-nuts that you can toss out. I bought my Te-Co set in 1974 and it has always been totally satisfactory for holding parts and fixtures. I mostly use the Kurt vise, but have sometimes used the clamping equipment to help hold things in the vise or even just resting on top of the vise jaws if I did not want to take the vise off the mill.

Cheap one:

Good one:

Larry

Put studs in the table around your vise so it can't spin. Now rotate the vise clockwise until it is stopped from rotation. Drill 1 piece to make a strap, add it to the vise. Drill a second, add it to the vise. Now build your clamps as you see fit, the vise isn't going anywhere. Sometimes you have to lift yourself by your bootstraps.

Neither would work if i need to get operational by monday. However thank you for feedback on Te-co.
Yes, I understand you will have to improvise a solution today, but you should have a good (or even a cheap) clamping kit on hand for future use when a vise will not do the job.

Larry

Yes, I understand you will have to improvise a solution today, but you should have a good (or even a cheap) clamping kit on hand for future use when a vise will not do the job.

Larry
Got some brutal soviet strap clamps on loan from colleague's friend's friend. Trammed and fixed vise on 3 points, i do t think it is going anywhere.

Thank you for your input once again.

@gbent I cannot figure out what do you mean exactly, but thank you for your input

Clamps for your vise should be a simple, L shaped part. You can cut them with a (power) saw and file them to a workable dimension. Then they will need a hole drilled for a stud.

Make three of them a bit oversized and then you can finish them one at a time.

Back