What's new
What's new

Volvo front pto bolts 11 mm? And odd hole pattern?

Jim Moser

Hot Rolled
Just started making a stub shaft or PTO to mount off the front of crankshaft on a marine Volvo diesel, I've built a few before for other engines but this one has an odd bolt hole pattern, don't. Know why they wouldn't use equally spaced pattern? Also tried to get 1/2 inch longer bolts but they seem to be 11mm by 1.5 pitch, not readably avaliable at McMaster or other searches? This is basically a shaft welded to a 1/2 inch plate trued up to run a double A pully for a small hydraulic pump. Extra pulleys don't seem to be avaliable for this engine like other brands. Don't know much about Volvo's or odd metrics.
Maybe Volvo doesn't want any side load taken off the front of crank.
My old Isuzu has been running 5 B belts like this for 30 plus years 24 gallon hyd. Pump and 7 hp reefer compressor with no problems.
Any ideas
Thanks. Jim

No, I have a thread checker set and the bolt will go into a 12 mm 1.5 pitch nut but loose and it matches that thread pitch but a 12 mm bolt wont go into the crank.
I did find online 11 mm 1.5 by 1 inch, exact size as original for BMW or? Flywheel but not finding any longer ones except some connecting rod bolts that are way longer and partially threaded, so the thead size is used for some things?

Sometimes an odd BC pattern is to keep something timed.

I've used it a couple of times for example:
"1/2-14 tap (6) E.Q. spaced except as shown on 4.00 dia. B.C."
and then show the one hole that is dimensioned off.

Grr. My usual go-to is Metric and Multistandard corp, but according to their site, they can sell you M11 nuts of all three pitches, taps and dies of all three pitches, but NO M11 bolts of any kind. I've had them do specials for me in the past so it would be worth a call to them.

Is whatever that is now on the front of the crank part of the engine balanceing system. Like small block

chevy 400 and some small block Fords ? That could explain the odd bolt pattern.

Many toyota 4x4's use 11mm bolts for the driveline couplings, but I don't think any are 1.5 pitch.

Face, drill and tap another bolt pattern into the crank pulley?

So Volvo finally went metric? I bought a new Volvo 164 sedan in 1969. It had German ZF brakes and steering with German metric fasteners, but every other thread and wrench size was standard USA inch stuff. Even the rear axle was a Dana 30, that friends at the Dana plant in my city fitted with a new ring and pinion. And the transmission was a Borg-Warner automatic.

Larry

It wasn't until late 1967 that Sweden switched to right hand side roads. They switched the whole country over in one night. cars had always been standard left hand drive anyways.
I think my 1973, Volvo 145 was Inch threads.
Bill D
Dagen H - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Is whatever that is now on the front of the crank part of the engine balanceing system. Like small block

chevy 400 and some small block Fords ? That could explain the odd bolt pattern.

Well, I don't know zip about Volvo marine engines, that said I have seen a few industrial engines that had odd bolt patterns to allow the correct mounting of balancing plates.

I was leaning towards drilling and tapping the large surpentine belt pulley 11 inches, but checking out the service manual it is also a hormonic balancer with vacuum sealed silicone liquid inside of it. The Volvo dealer has some bolts coming but only has a part number no details on the length but Volvo does make accessoriy drive shafts for some of their engines so hopefully these will work.

Back