What's new
What's new

WADE 10 LATHE ???? ANYBODY WANT TO GO FOR A SUBMARINE RIDE ?

miketig

Aluminum
If this is what I think it is, then that would probably explain why it seems so unique, The guy I got this off of told me it was the most accurate lathe he has ever used, then he told me it was made specifically for navy subs, which would explain the high accuracy of it. The funny thing is my dad was a molder in the navy at the sub base in CT and I was actually born on the base. Pretty interesting how things fall into your hands. Anyways I thought I would share a few pics with some of you old time machinist, I figured you would appreciate them.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 195
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 194
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 174
  • dghfy.jpg
    dghfy.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 190
That's a 10B and a rare lathe indeed. There were only two verified to exist before you posted and you have the 3rd. There's one in Oregon, the only one found so far with threadcutting ability, and one in Boston at a museum. Pix of those 2 in this thread and maybe one of yours, too?

Yours has the later model "open" driveline used on later 94s and 98s, the other 2 have the earlier enclosed oil-bath gearbox, also used on earlier 94s and 98s.

Yours looks complete, but if you ever need parts, there were quite a few left over, cleaned out of a warehouse in Boston about ten years ago.

I'd be interested to hear the history of it if you know it.

Awesome lathe, you're a lucky guy. Thanks very much for posting!

As Neil says, the 10B are extremely rare. Each one seems to have been nearly a one-off machine. It would appear that Wade never really got the 10B past the prototype stages. They are a unique machine... sort of a mashup of an 8A and a Model 94.

I uploaded the 10B manual to vintagemachinery.org, and it can be downloaded here:

I sold all the NOS 10B parts that came out of the remaining Wade inventory to the aforementioned 10B owner in Oregon... I can put you in contact with him if you need anything.

Andy

As Neil says, the 10B are extremely rare. Each one seems to have been nearly a one-off machine. It would appear that Wade never really got the 10B past the prototype stages. They are a unique machine... sort of a mashup of an 8A and a Model 94.

I uploaded the 10B manual to vintagemachinery.org, and it can be downloaded here:

I sold all the NOS 10B parts that came out of the remaining Wade inventory to the aforementioned 10B owner in Oregon... I can put you in contact with him if you need anything.

Andy
Andy, thanks for the 10b manual, I am a retired woodworker and only started taking interest in the machinist trade recently so please excuse me for my ignorance but when they state in the manual, swing over bed being 11", am I correct in my assumption of it being the maximum diameter that is turned on that particular lathe? and when stating swing over the cross slides being 5 -1/2", they are referring to the radius capability of that particular lathe

That's a 10B and a rare lathe indeed. There were only two verified to exist before you posted and you have the 3rd. There's one in Oregon, the only one found so far with threadcutting ability, and one in Boston at a museum. Pix of those 2 in this thread and maybe one of yours, too?

Yours has the later model "open" driveline used on later 94s and 98s, the other 2 have the earlier enclosed oil-bath gearbox, also used on earlier 94s and 98s.

Yours looks complete, but if you ever need parts, there were quite a few left over, cleaned out of a warehouse in Boston about ten years ago.

I'd be interested to hear the history of it if you know it.

Awesome lathe, you're a lucky guy. Thanks very much for posting!
Neilho,
I am retired wood worker so excuse any of my ignorance of the machinist trade, I dont know much history of it, all I know is the guy I got it off of I think used it in the car dealership industry of some sort, I picked up a total of four wade lathes off him, the other three be being turret lathes, one being (I am assuming a 73 model ) and the other two being 94 models. all of them being well equipped, almost a couple dozen accessory's like a few chucks, faceplates, tooling, and some other things I am not familiar with and would like to find out what they are used for, to put the icing on the cake there were about 200 collets with them, round, hexagonal, and some as I said I would like to find out more about their use, attatched is a pic of one.

Attachments

• o.jpg
    o.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 37
  • l.jpg
    l.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 37
Cool lathe! Its fun recognizing bits and pieces from other Wade machines :) Looks like a feed rod on it- are there any threading features?
I Do not believe there is, only recently have I become interested in the machinist trade so at the moment I am not to knowledgeable of a lot of the workings things. so I could be wrong.

They look as if the majority of the "damage" may actually be just dust that has settled on them.

A cleaning, followed by an Evaporust bath may take care of many, at least the collets I could see reasonably clearly.

They look as if the majority of the "damage" may actually be just dust that has settled on them.

A cleaning, followed by an Evaporust bath may take care of many, at least the collets I could see reasonably clearly.
You hit it right on the spot, the pictures don't do them any justice, a lot of sawdust from the woodshop was stained by condensation rust from being stored unheated space. An angle grinder with 20 grit works well !!!!! ( JUST KIDDING, SOME OF THE ANAL MACCHINIST OUT THERE NEED A LITTLE LUBE TO LOSSEN UP ) Anyway, the pics do make them look like shit, but there not in bad shape at all, the lathe itself other than the condensation rust is in excellent shape.

Agree a very cool lathe and the lathe seems to be in oK restorable condition.
What are your intentions with it?

Attachments, look to be in poor condition.​

You sound like a used car salesman prepping a victim to score car for $1 on his trade in against the car he just sold the guy for $90,000.00, (Kidding around bro) I have to keep reminding myself that I might be texting to an actual machinist. The pictures do make them look like shit though, But they are actually in relatively good shape caked up with sawdust and condensation stains. In my world an easy clean with an electrolysis treatment will take care that.

I think the lathe looks in good condition. looks like surface rust on the ways from here or just dirty. It would be a very nice lathe to own if all there.
Op should have his location listed.
I think the best start with a lathe is to give it a good oil rag wipe and pick out all the chips, and oil everything.

and not spray it with WD.. rag wipe WD is not so bad but not spray..and don't wire brush the number dials.

Q: (
are there any threading features?)
the manual says yes to threading, 8 to 112 TPI, and 21 metric threads off a 127 gear.

Last edited:
I am a retired woodworker, with only recent interest of the machinist trade so my ignorance at the moment of how things work on this machine is still high, but there are electrical variable speed feed dials on the machine, it still unknown to me all the workings on the machine, so I don't know if there is a way on threading in that manner, but its nothing like my Pratt & Whitney with mechanical gearing and threading

Heres a Wade shop drawing of a 10B. I don't know what the "Morganite" reference is about... maybe a company name? The 1957 date makes sense, as that's around the time they were phasing out the 8A.

Hard to get a good photo of these, as they're pencil on translucent drafting paper.

Attachments

• 20220701_210755_resized.jpg
    20220701_210755_resized.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220701_210741_resized.jpg
    20220701_210741_resized.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 15
That's true, but of the few 10B lathes that have surfaced only one has actually been equipped with a lead screw and threading capabilities.
If I think what you guys are calling a lead screw is what I think it is, I do not believe there is one on my machine

Heres a Wade shop drawing of a 10B. I don't know what the "Morganite" reference is about... maybe a company name? The 1957 date makes sense, as that's around the time they were phasing out the 8A.

Hard to get a good photo of these, as they're pencil on translucent drafting paper.
"MORGANITE" was probably the client that the lathe was made for, it looks like the space in an architectural drawing that you would put that information!

Back