What's new
What's new

Wade 8a Beds in Texas

Darren McCarley

Cast Iron
I've been working to resurrect Wade 8a #407. During my journey, I've picked up 2 other Wades that were destined for scrap. Now that mine is working, I am in a bind. I need my space back but can't bring myself to scrap these two beds. They need some TLC and I should probably throw an indictator on them to see how true they are. However, even if they are perfect, I can't imagine any use for them. Any ideas other than
* Sell locally
* Scrap
* Keep, just in case?

Cruddy pictures but you get the idea. Yes, one seems to have been scraped.

Yes, one seems to have been scraped.
Wade scraped the lathe beds rather than paint them before WW2. See photos on Andy F's website (http://www.wade8a.com/8afiles/wadebrochure03.jpg) and (http://www.wade8a.com/8aimages/factory01.jpg). The effect is striking.

The scraped lathe bed's feet have different bolt hole positions than my lathe (#473, late 1945, image below). Are the bolt hole positions the same on both lathe beds? Mine are in the middle of the lathe foot. The middle position was used on the later Wade 8As also.

Tom

Wade-8A-lathe-foot-bolt-pos.jpg

I seem to remember a member on here who had bought most of Wade inventory when things were getting cleared out. Don't know what his intentions are, but perhaps he might want to add them to his inventory? I agree it would be a shame to scrap them. Nothing gained and someone else losing a chance at a better bed. Obsolete inventory is like that though. It has no finacial value but to the right guy it's priceless. Keeping them "safe" until that connection is made is the trick.....

I seem to remember a member on here who had bought most of Wade inventory when things were getting cleared out. Don't know what his intentions are, but perhaps he might want to add them to his inventory? I agree it would be a shame to scrap them. Nothing gained and someone else losing a chance at a better bed. Obsolete inventory is like that though. It has no finacial value but to the right guy it's priceless. Keeping them "safe" until that connection is made is the trick.....
That would be Andy Fitzgibbon, he has helped me many times over the years

I'm half tempted to keep one of the beds to extend the total length of the lathe. However, leveling, parallel, and true would take that project to a whole new level of insanity....

The foot bolt holes on the scraped bed are off set, not in the middle.

Back