What's new
What's new

Wanted 7" shaper and Sanford SG-48 grinder

Richard Morton

Plastic
I have a desire to add two “new” machines to my shop. A 7” shaper and Sanford SG-48 3rd. Serial numbers 1612356 onwards surface grinder. I prefer later models, but the shaper must have an auto-oiler. I am 50+ years novice machinist, took high school metal shop classes, and started working in a machine shop (Crest Machine in Elmhurst, IL), but other needs and wants got in the way. I ended up with another career along with paraplegia when I was 24, and that changed my trajectory. Today I fear I don’t have the time or ability (scraping is beyond me) to manage a full restoration on my own. I wonder if there are any resources that members of this forum might suggest. I’m open to almost any kind of process that results in obtaining as close to factory spec and condition as possible grinder and shaper.

7" shaper and auto oiler would be one of the later models of South Bends. One way to easily identify an early from late model SB shaper that would have the internal oil pump is to look at the width on the front of the base casting. The earlier one's were cast with pretty much parallel sides, the later with a distinctive widened area on the front of the base casting. That was added to provide a better and longer support for the tables vertical support foot. I believe that change was also when SB added the internal oil pump. Afaik and with what I've see on mine, the SB shapers were never hand scraped, ground yes but there's no evidence of scraping or even oil flaking. So finding one with a lot of wear, it would just need a trip through a good surface grinder with someone decent who understands machine tool rebuilding. There's still used parts showing up for them on Ebay from time to time, but I've learned to hard way to buy the most complete machine you can without any missing parts or it will turn into a serious money pit.

The Sanford 48 surface grinders are out there, fairly hard to find now and almost always quite expensive when you do because of how many with home shops want one. I wish you better luck than I've had trying to find one.

As far as the basics of understanding machine tool rebuilding, I'd start here. https://kupdf.net/download/testing-machine-tools-dr-schlesinger_5b0cc838e2b6f50e76ce06f8_pdf He literally wrote the book about the basic alignment checks. And in one way or another, every half decent machine tool manufacturer in the world today still bases there alignment tests and methods on his work. In my opinion the required 3 dimensional alignments machine tools require isn't quite as intuitive as some seem to think. There also some fairly small and subtle mis alignments the factory's use that are well worth understanding about why that's even done.

But your already ahead since you at least understand that a few mechanical repairs, re polishing a few parts and a new coat of paint isn't and never will be a proper machine tool rebuild. At a minimum I'd suggest you need a good quality ground cylindrical square, surface plate, straight edge, 10ths capable DTI, machinist level and maybe a micrometer or two.

This might be too far away, but on Facebook marketplace there is a seller that has several shapers available in Bricktown N.J. No connection except I grew up there.

Back