What's new
What's new

Wanted flat coil spiral spring , like from a gravity lift device

My son Matt said the pull start flat springs are less than 1/2" wide..but he said he would keep an eye out for wider ones. I think 5/8 to 3/4 wide would be best for my project. I think buying new stock would burden my price target, which is why I was looking for salvage. I will try new stock steel and SS to see if that might work.

I restored an old flat belt drill......spiral spring was missing,so I went to the Chinee importers......they wanted $70 for the spring...........so I raid my Harley parts stash,and sure enough Ive got some spare kickstart springs..........cut and bent to a loop,no tempering etc,and it works 100%

They will be probably on the thin&narrow side of the range you're looking for, but "constant force spring" is another set of keywords to search for surplus/liquidated spare parts.

I think buying new stock would burden my price target, which is why I was looking for salvage. I will try new stock steel and SS to see if that might work.

From what you describe needing, it looks like around $30 from Mcmasters and you will actually know what it is and what it's properties are so you can duplicate it.

How much is your time worth? You would drive to a wrecking yard and pull a rusty hinge off a vehicle instead of paying $30 plus a few bucks shipping to have new material delivered to your door?

I have a couple big tote bins filled with springs from dies springs through sheet stock, clock springs, and boxes of probably half the available sizes of music wire. Most of it has been purchased new to develop products or left over from tools I've built. The rest is all stuff that was given to me used.

My point being I have found it incredibly limiting to product development to try seeking out free shit to recycle into a prototype or proof of concept. Yeah, you don't want to spend money before you know it works, but on the flip side the more time, effort and thinking you waste on sourcing free crap the less time, effort and thought you have to put into your product.

I was trying/thinking about to make something that will sell for a couple of bucks, and not be so overpriced that China would take the market in the second week.
I can likely go to ALrosteeljust down the road and see if they have some suitable stock.
At the big shop, we were throwing away gravity lifts practically every week.

Last edited:
Why would you buy the material to make your product from Mcmasters?

Seems to be some kind of disconnect going on here.

You want a low cost product that China can easily rip off (maybe rethink that???) and you want it make it from recycled tool counterbalance clock springs? So you would drive all over kingdom come to pick up these broken parts then you would disassemble them and make them into something new that you would sell at a price less than what would interest China in competing with you?

Is that correct?

This sounds like a great episode of one of the Pakistani Youtube channels where guys with no teeth, missing digits and a cigarette on their lip take some rotten shit steel and turn it into some garbage product using machines North America scrapped 70 years ago.

Would black steel shipping banding work? The stuff I have in my tool box for parallel keepers is .026 ish but I feel like I have seen thicker.

Why would you buy the material to make your product from Mcmasters?

Seems to be some kind of disconnect going on here.

You want a low cost product that China can easily rip off (maybe rethink that???) and you want it make it from recycled tool counterbalance clock springs? So you would drive all over kingdom come to pick up these broken parts then you would disassemble them and make them into something new that you would sell at a price less than what would interest China in competing with you?

Is that correct?

This sounds like a great episode of one of the Pakistani Youtube channels where guys with no teeth, missing digits and a cigarette on their lip take some rotten shit steel and turn it into some garbage product using machines North America scrapped 70 years ago.
Yes, that is about it, I made them back in the big shop, to use and give away, Didn't think about making them to sell. It would be a small market nowadays with USA manufacturing so down.

For example, this 6"x12" x .050 spring steel (so hard enough) would be price divided by 24 parts so $3.00 each just for material ..near what I would like to sell them for.

$83 (with shipping) / 24 = $3.46 each.

But this may work.. .75 each for stock, figuring the economics likely would only produce about $25 per hour.. not bad ..but not that good

Last edited:
Look up CONSTANT FORCE SPRING. I have two of these on an old Mcculloch verticle electric log splitter. They are tightly wound clock spring looking things. The splitting bar has about a 12 inch vericle travel.The CONSTANT FORCE SPRING allows you to move the heavy bar up and down with ease,just like the old house windows with window sash weights. Edwin Dirnbeck

Back