What's new
What's new

WANTED: NOS CENTRIFUGAL SWITCH

mattya72

Aluminum
Hi, I am looking for a centrifugal switch for an old century single phase capacitor motor. Its around 1947. If anyone has one i would be intetested. Otherwise, this thing is going in the bush.

Thsnks

If just the contact plate/switch is bad ,there are plenty of them on line.There are a lot of them very similar between different motors. Get the right shaft size. If the centrifugal mechanisim is missing then that would be a little harder to find. Got a picture of what you have?

If you can't fix the centrifugal switch, you can use a timer in its place or a magnetic starter, as is used in sealed A/C compressors. To use a magnetic starter, you need to know the HP of your motor and get one for the same HP air conditioner compressor.

Really appreciate your time in responding. Both your ideas are great. I found one on ebay and negotiation on the price was amazing. He wanted 38 bucks for it and dropped the price 3 bucks. When i offered him $25, he said no and raised the price to $45. I Hope he is happy with all his switches. Thanks for listening.

This motor powers a 1940s master-mil. Its big and heavy which adds some heft to this model B. I'd like to see this through because the motor mount has a nice press fitting shaft that fits nicely into the back of the unit and allows it to swivel with the head for grinding and pull out for belt tension. Thanks.
Matt

Attachments

• 20230322_191817.jpg
    20230322_191817.jpg
    821.8 KB · Views: 17
Really appreciate your time in responding. Both your ideas are great. I found one on ebay and negotiation on the price was amazing. He wanted 38 bucks for it and dropped the price 3 bucks. When i offered him $25, he said no and raised the price to $45. I Hope he is happy with all his switches. Thanks for listening.
Why did you lowball him ?
You could have fixed your motor by now for $38.

Offer him $38 and get your motor fixed. As I mentioned in another post, what is a sellers motivation if they can't make a buck to feed themselves? The race to rock bottom pricing will lead to sellers finding other jobs, and the end result will be buying brand new, if the mfr still makes it.....

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. I did'nt know he was going to react like that. Lesson learned.
How would any of us here react with that offer.
"ignore" life is too short on these little under $100 sales to put up with it.

I don't know, am I the only one who doesn't think that negotiating a price with a seller is wrong? Why is everyone so easily insulted if someone offers you a price for something you are selling even if it's a lowball number? It's not like you are selling an item in person and you take time out of your day to have someone come a look at the item and lowball you. In that case, I might be a little upset considering I have been inconvenienced and wasted my precious time but in this case, it's eBay, the seller can simply refuse your offer or make a counter offer, takes all of 30 seconds...

That's my $.02.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited:
I don't know, am I the only one who doesn't think that negotiating a price with a seller is wrong? Why is everyone so easily insulted if someone offers you a price for something you are selling even if it's a lowball number? It's not like you are selling an item in person and you take time out of your day to have someone come a look at the item and lowball you. In that case, I might be a little upset considering I have been inconvenienced and wasted my precious time but in this case, it's eBay, the seller can simply refuse your offer or make a counter offer, takes all of 30 seconds...

That's my $.02.

Cheers,

Joe
The seller was smart enough to identify it, he took the time to list it, he has stored it lord only knows how long waiting for someone that needs it, probably been sitting at same price all that time. The bean counters at ebay think the answer to slow moving merchandise is lower pricing and they will add the "Make offer" button to your listing when it renews. How many more listings are there for that item? At $38, by the time ebay subtracts fees, he is maybe getting $25, so to offer $25 is an insult imho.

Prices everywhere have been going up for 3 years, except ebay. I killed all my listings a few months back, it was not worth my time to fool with the lowball offers, or to try undercutting everyone else. My $.02, go buy new, or buy from someone on ebay and help to drive them out of business.

It's E Bay ! Why get insulted one way or the other. Half the sellers have no clue what they have or look at a catalog price and assume their junk is worth as much. Buyers are mostly just looking for a deal. So making me a low ball offer for what something is worth to you wouldn't insult me i'd just ignore it and move on. After all it's the buyers on E Bay that determine what something is worth not a mfg's price list.
As for the op's switch plate I don't see any thing wrong with it.Can't see the contact surfaces but they appear to be there so maybe just need to clean them .

I agree, most sellers have no clue what they are selling, but what I did find is many of them would cut/paste from my item descriptions, and ebay could care less. So if the buyer sets the price, how many of you negotiate a price at the grocery store? Gas station? With utility bills? Etc? Better yet, how many of you play "lets make a deal" with every customer that walks into your shop? If you quote $100, will you do the job for $50 because that is what the customer thinks you are worth?

All of the examples you show are retailers or utilitys that have fixed pricing. None of them sell used merchandise(whose value is dependent a lot more variables than new) but retailers are very attuned to buyers which ultimately do effect price, of course you're a business owner so you know that price above market value and you will be out of business( unless you have a one of a kind business or drug necessary for living).Entirely different business models. E-Bay is more akin to an online pawn shop, you can ask any price you want but what you sell it for is still determined buy the buyer. Try to negotiate with any of your examples and you will end up hungry with no lights and have to push your car! They are also not a service selling operation.

I agree, most sellers have no clue what they are selling, but what I did find is many of them would cut/paste from my item descriptions, and ebay could care less. So if the buyer sets the price, how many of you negotiate a price at the grocery store? Gas station? With utility bills? Etc? Better yet, how many of you play "lets make a deal" with every customer that walks into your shop? If you quote $100, will you do the job for $50 because that is what the customer thinks you are worth?
I'm not following some of what you are saying. If I have someone come to my house and quote the price of say replacement windows, I'm obligated to pay that amount and I would insult the vendor if I asked if they could do the job for less? The vendor is free to say no just like I am free to say I don't want you to do the job at your price. Why would anyone be insulted?

I'm in my 60's, I thought when people haggle over price it was called negotiating, When you walk into a car dealership, do you pay the sticker price? Probably a bad example since lately it seems dealers are charging more than the sticker but you get my drift.

I'm not being argumentative, I'm trying to understand when negotiating prices for goods and services became something that people get insulted over.

I'm not following some of what you are saying. If I have someone come to my house and quote the price of say replacement windows, I'm obligated to pay that amount and I would insult the vendor if I asked if they could do the job for less? The vendor is free to say no just like I am free to say I don't want you to do the job at your price. Why would anyone be insulted?

I'm in my 60's, I thought when people haggle over price it was called negotiating, When you walk into a car dealership, do you pay the sticker price? Probably a bad example since lately it seems dealers are charging more than the sticker but you get my drift.

I'm not being argumentative, I'm trying to understand when negotiating prices for goods and services became something that people get insulted over.

For Christ's sakes, it was only 38 bucks and the man needed it. I would not have thought twice paying that amount.

And your right, comparing it to a new auto purchase is a bad example.

What dalmatiangirl said was spot on.

If one thinks negotiating is always acceptable I'd just counter with "Hey I'll take it for free, you cover the shipping"

No reason to get insulted....

For Christ's sakes, it was only 38 bucks and the man needed it. I would not have thought twice paying that amount.

If one thinks negotiating is always acceptable I'd just counter with "Hey I'll take it for free, you cover the shipping"

You are correct, negotiating is not always proper or realistic, however, when buying used items, it is most certainly is. And, most people selling build that into their price.

If I needed a specific rare part and it was available at a reasonable price, I too would have purchased it at full price and called it a day. My point is why is it insulting to negotiate a price? The caveat is, the seller won't accept your offer but to be insulted? I have been lowballed on items I had for sale and I simply tell the person making the offer, "No." and either make a counter-offer or explain my price is firm but I certainly don't get insulted. If I had something for sale and you offered to take it for free and pay the shipping, I'd politely tell you no thanks but I would not be insulted. In fact, I'd probably laugh...LOL

Anyway, that's my take on this, I choose not to get insulted but if others do, that's their right. I have a pretty thick skin and it takes a bit more to insult me than offering me less for something I'm selling.

Cheers!

Last edited:

I agree that there are times to negotiate or haggle if you will.
I have done it myself. But as noted, there is a time to roll the dice and make that lower offer and a time to accept a good price and gladly pay it.

As far as being insulted I can't tell if it was the ebay seller or possibly the op, who needed the part. Either way he walked away without getting what he needed.

Hodge

Back