What's new
What's new

Wanting to get a cross slide rescraped

Peroni

Cast Iron
I'm looking to get the cross slide on a 12" Pratt & Whitney rescraped. It's definitely worn and the wear is causing binding with the gib. Gib has some brass glued onto the non moving side, I suspect the cross slide may already have been reworked once before. Is there anyone around central NC who could do the job, either in my shop or theirs?

20220608_193140.jpg20220608_193146.jpg20220608_193439.jpg

I have a friend in Christiansburg Virginia who is a retired rebuilder. Private message me your info and I'll pass it on to him. Also Lance Baltzely down in Jacksonville Florida could do it for you

Richard I'd love to attend a class and learn more about the art of scraping but so far they've just been too far away. It's hard for me to be able to get away for more than just a day. Sent you a message with my contact info.

Bringing this back up to the top as no one has gotten back to me. Is there anyone else who wants to take a stab at this or a reputable company I can contact for a quote? Was going to go with Schmiede Corp until they quit responding. Got another quote from Machine Tool Rebuilders in Ohio. I'd like to get a couple more quotes before sending the parts off.

If you've got a quote from an outfit that you have reasonable confidence in and the quote isn't outrageous, just go with it. More and more quotes will eventually turn up the guy with the lowest quote who'll do a crappy job, taking way too long, and you'll almost be back at the start - except for the lost money and time, of course. Life's too short for the other crap.

Bringing this back up to the top as no one has gotten back to me. Is there anyone else who wants to take a stab at this or a reputable company I can contact for a quote? Was going to go with Schmiede Corp until they quit responding. Got another quote from Machine Tool Rebuilders in Ohio. I'd like to get a couple more quotes before sending the parts off.
Please contact us at Morrall Machine Service, we would be happy to help you out with this for a low price.

Back