What's new
What's new

water well drilling opinions needed

I see the OP is in Texas so I assume he is under Spanish water laws. This means he may not be allowed to drill or use well water on his own property. Check with a lawyer before spending time or money on something you may be forced to return to original condition.
Bill D
As far as I know it's fair game to drill your own water well here in Texas. Now, I do know if you are in a area that has public water supply available, you have to use it. Most cities and towns you cannot drill your own water well or have one drilled. This is for any shallow wells to around 300 ft deep. Any deeper I suspect they fall under the Texas Railroad Commission's rules and regulations. Some areas along the Texas Gulf Coast I wouldn't want to drill too deep. You do, may drill into one of the many salt dome cavities where natural gas and oil is stored. (These are way deeper, around 800-900 feet under.)

I know growing up living north of Houston, we had a water well drilled by a local company. First well was drilled to 235 feet and drawn water at about 175 feet. Thirty years later, dad has another well drilled because the water table dropped and started sanding out. The second well was drilled to about 260 deep. To this day, that small sub-division still does not have a public water supply. Everything around it is on public water supply.

On another note, in many areas of Texas, the ground water supply is not all that great. Lots of sour water, bracksh water, and such. Rural areas with these issues now have public water systems available if you can afford to hook up to them for better treated water. So, if you are near one of these water districts, it's probably way cheaper to get hooked up to one than it is to drill and complete your water well.

Wonder if the OP ever drilled his well...........my first is 150 ft,next one was 450 ft ,the guy next door found out what I was pumping from and went to 900ft ,so I couldnt dry him out.....place is now a Mc Donalds and shops and houses.

It's impressive that you're taking on the challenge of drilling your well. However, I understand your concern about the threading and joint couplings. Personally, I had a great experience with *link removed* when drilling a well here in Arizona. They used durable thread types that were easy to uncouple and saved me a lot of hassle. Maybe it's worth checking them out for some expert advice. Good luck with your project!
Spammer????

Spammer????
4GSR when you quote a spammer, go into the quoted area, and delete the linky. Or change it up to something funny.
In your case, the spammer now has qty (2) hotlinks for google rankings to find, and spammer get's extra money for your work.

I drilled a well in the Santa Cruz Mtns many years back with one of those Deep Rock rigs . Same deal screwing pips together as we went . We had no problems but I can't say I remember any real hard spots . After Drilling we pulled everything & put on a larger bit & drilled again for the casing , I believe it was 4" casing . I wasn't there when they put the casing in but they didn't complain about the job so I reckon there weren't any issues . They used to sell carbide in a can & IIRC when the bit got dull ya heated it red hot & shoved it in the can of carbide , don't know what happens after that cause we never had to re-coat the bit . The stoping & un threading & then rethreading get's old , I think we only wen't down 70-80 feet . These new pumps from Grundfos will fit in a 4 " casing .
animal

Back