What's new
What's new

WATERJET PORCELAIN ADVICE

Been running a Flow 5axis waterjet at a public art studio the last 5 years, doing mainly metal. I get to use it on the side for personal and experimental projects and found myself winning a big commission to do a mosaic sidewalk. I have about ~700sq ft mosaic to cut which will probably be around ~15,000 pieces as small as 3”, so I need an efficient way to load/cut material ranging from 1’x2’ to 2’x4’. Looking for advice from people that have cut delicate materials. Do I run the water low? High? Waterjet brick?

So far this is what I am thinking: Grouping pieces in batches of 20 or more together so they are all tabbed as a unit (but easy to break/clean up), cutting from the edge (not sure I can pierce tile without breaking it), using waterjet brick (and screws to secure material to it), and keeping the water low in the tank (not sure it matters if I’m using WJ brick). Looking for any other advice before I start on this insanity.

Thanks

Cutting in from the edge is a big “yes”.
Tabbing is a ”yes”. But experiment with the width of the tabs.
Depending on the thickness of your tile, you may want to wrap the entire piece with duct tape. That’s been a lifesaver for us on cutting thin art glass. 😉

Good luck and post pics when you are done!

Been running a Flow 5axis waterjet at a public art studio the last 5 years, doing mainly metal. I get to use it on the side for personal and experimental projects and found myself winning a big commission to do a mosaic sidewalk. I have about ~700sq ft mosaic to cut which will probably be around ~15,000 pieces as small as 3”, so I need an efficient way to load/cut material ranging from 1’x2’ to 2’x4’. Looking for advice from people that have cut delicate materials. Do I run the water low? High? Waterjet brick?

So far this is what I am thinking: Grouping pieces in batches of 20 or more together so they are all tabbed as a unit (but easy to break/clean up), cutting from the edge (not sure I can pierce tile without breaking it), using waterjet brick (and screws to secure material to it), and keeping the water low in the tank (not sure it matters if I’m using WJ brick). Looking for any other advice before I start on this insanity.

Thanks

Back