What's new
What's new

Way cover for Gorton MasterMill

Froneck

Titanium
I picked-up a really nice Gorton MasterMill from HGR some time ago. As with just about everything from HGR there were a few issues.Down feed variable speed potentiometer was bad, replaced and feed works. Spindle counterbalance spring was broken, made another it too now works.Machine is in excellent condition, don't look to have been used much.
However the cross feed screw is exposed, it's in the center like a BP but there is no cover. They had a rubber sheet that covered the ways that is ripped off probably in shipping the rear cover is still in great condition. However I don't like the flat rubber sheet type cover, Cross travel is 12" ways are 12" opening is 8.5" long. Hand wheel is 6.5" from the end of the ways (insinde dimension) I purchase a few telescoping way covers from HGR to possibly alter but best I can come up with is 8.5" travel before cover conceals the dial that is mounted at the end of the 12" of ways. I was thinking of moving the dial assembly closer to the hand wheel though I don't need the dials because the machine has a Sony DRO. I'm thinking of trying the accordion type covers, has anyone used them?

I picked-up a really nice Gorton MasterMill from HGR some time ago. As with just about everything from HGR there were a few issues.Down feed variable speed potentiometer was bad, replaced and feed works. Spindle counterbalance spring was broken, made another it too now works.Machine is in excellent condition, don't look to have been used much.
However the cross feed screw is exposed, it's in the center like a BP but there is no cover. They had a rubber sheet that covered the ways that is ripped off probably in shipping the rear cover is still in great condition. However I don't like the flat rubber sheet type cover, Cross travel is 12" ways are 12" opening is 8.5" long. Hand wheel is 6.5" from the end of the ways (insinde dimension) I purchase a few telescoping way covers from HGR to possibly alter but best I can come up with is 8.5" travel before cover conceals the dial that is mounted at the end of the 12" of ways. I was thinking of moving the dial assembly closer to the hand wheel though I don't need the dials because the machine has a Sony DRO. I'm thinking of trying the accordion type covers, has anyone used them?
I use these Gortite accordion-style way covers. This is actually the second machine this set has been on so they are fairly old, but they’ve held up well. I really like the way they keep chips and even dust out.

The trade off is they’re a little harder to clean chips off of at least until I made them to be quickly removable – no tools required. It just takes seconds. I enclosed a few pictures of them mounted on my machine and a picture of them removed. The back ones are connected together and remove the same way with no tools. You just dump them. At the connection point I add a couple of oversized washers that fit over two way wiper bolts that I left a little long so that the covers can hook over them holding them in position.

These are sized for a Bridgeport. I don't know what other sizes might be available.

IMG_0668.jpg IMG_0669.jpg IMG_0670.jpg IMG_0671.jpg IMG_0672.jpg

I have 12" rated cross travel, might be a little more but can't check it at this time due to the machines location. However I did move the cross as far back as it will go and have 12" of ways exposed.
What is the total collapsed length of the Gortite cover on your BP. I have longer travel but can scale the increase on my machine as compared to your BP travel.

I have 12" rated cross travel, might be a little more but can't check it at this time due to the machines location. However I did move the cross as far back as it will go and have 12" of ways exposed.
What is the total collapsed length of the Gortite cover on your BP. I have longer travel but can scale the increase on my machine as compared to your BP travel.
The collapsible width of the Y-axis is about 1”, maybe 1 1/16” with the bracket for each of the front and back way covers. They will each expand to about 15” for a total of 30”. The front Y-axis cover uses two spacers and the existing bolts on the screw bracket. Only the back Y-axis causes any limitation on travel. On my machine it’s largely irrelevant because of the Newall reader head which takes up about the same amount of room and is mounted above the way cover. The front Y-axis and the Z-axis covers are movable based on their stationary mounting positions. What is not very adjustable is width on both knee and column – especially the dovetails. You’d have to be fairly close for these way covers. It’s been years, but it seems like they did make other sizes.

Jeff

My desire is to protect the cross feed screw. Ways are in perfect condition and it look like it has way wipers. The mill has square ways not dovetail. Center raised section is 5"wide X 12" long but does not come in contact with the carriage above similar to that of a ToolMaster mill.
My concern with accordion type is when it is completely collapsed chips will be trapped, I mill quite a but of aluminum bronze and stainless, chips being rather sharp needles. My finger will agree with that! Will the Gortite stand up to the sharp chips.

My Gorton 9-J is a war baby.
I believe it was wearing its origional leather way covers
and they were about worn out. I bought a hyde at Tandy
leather and cut some new way covers. Should be good
for another 80 years. I think the hyde cost me $40.

-Doozer

I ordered accordion type way covers on ebay made in China with shortest delivery date (Dec 19 to 23) I selected 135mm wide to cover the area that has the 3" wide X 8.5" long opening that exposes the cross feed screw. They couldn't answer my questions about me cutting the cover shorter since it will extend 60", far more than the 12" of travel my mill has. The back side still has the flat rubber sheet covering the ways so I might have enough the cover the back ways in the future.
No seller in the USA had what I wanted.
When I get the item I'll post what I did with it.
Frank

Back