What's new
What's new

Way oil alternatives

drummerdimitri

Aluminum
Does anyone know what would be the best alternative to use instead of way oil on a milling machine and lathe slides?

I ask because I cannot find way oil locally so something similar would have to do.

I heard that hydraulic oil is a good substitute but I have no clue what grade to use so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Chainsaw bar oils will work well. They are fairly simple oils with a tackifier additive to make them stick on and not drain away. Motorcycle chain oils are similar, but often have friction modifiers like moly or teflon. Without the tackifiers you have to apply the oil more frequently. Hydraulic oils are resistant to oxidation.

20W-50 engine oil (for motorcycles) seems to be more sticky than regular engine oil. Could try a 80W-90 gear oil also. Or 75W-90 if you feel rich. Gear oils have more film strength than engine or hydraulic oils.

Chainsaw bar oils will work well. They are fairly simple oils with a tackifier additive to make them stick on and not drain away. Motorcycle chain oils are similar, but often have friction modifiers like moly or teflon. Without the tackifiers you have to apply the oil more frequently. Hydraulic oils are resistant to oxidation.
Bar oil is usually ISO100, so a bit thicker than your typical way oil's, but will work fine in plenty of machinery and is pretty cheap.
Just make sure you don't buy the biodegradable type.

What oils are easily available in Lebanon ?
Motor oil will work for hobby machines.
For large machines, I would seek something
close to what they ask for.
A 10" lathe can use any oil.
A 20" lathe needs something good.

-D

Vactra 2's viscosity is ISO 68 so that is the weight of hydraulic oil I would be looking for. For occasional use I think it would be just fine, just run the oilers before each use. If you are running all day you might want to re-oil during the day.

I found this chart somewhere online, so I can't guarantee its accuracy but it might be helpful.

1718207120427.jpeg

Note that SAE Gear and motor oil numbers are very different for the same viscosity. Look for tractor or bulldozer hydraulic oil suppliers.
I have read many folks saying ISO 68 and Iso 32 cover most all lathe needs.
BilL D

I would be careful with gear oil, since some of them have additives that are incompatible with copper and its alloys (i.e. bronze, brass, etc.). Again, it all depends on what machines you are using it: I would be concerned of one-shot central lubrication systems, since the plumbing would be mostly brass or copper, and would drop oil on the nuts of the lead/feed-screws (likely made of bronze).
Hydraulic fluid or automotive oil are probably the best choices. As long as you do not have re-circulation without filtering, using detergent oils would be more an advantage than a risk. Even with unfiltered re-circulation the danger of using it are mostly a red herring, since the detergents contained in motor oil are mostly to remove and keep into suspension combustion deposits and the behavior on metal particles is very similar to non-detergent oils.

Paolo

Back