What's new
What's new

Way OT: Microwave oven Xfomer water pump ?

Read the comments on the first video - it's a fake. That section of tubing where the magnets are is empty, then the device is plugged in, there's a surge in the plastic hose, and a gusher pours forth? Nah, something like that has no self-priming capacity.

Jeez, Doug - I though you were the cynical one...

Read the comments on the first video - it's a fake. That section of tubing where the magnets are is empty, then the device is plugged in, there's a surge in the plastic hose, and a gusher pours forth? Nah, something like that has no self-priming capacity.

Jeez, Doug - I though you were the cynical one...
I watched it all the way, he put water in to prime it. Has a check valve on the bottom end as well.

How about the permanent mag one running D.C. ?

Last edited:
Slow day, ehh? Whip one up this afternoon, let us know how it works.
We have all the water we need right now thank you.
Maybe you could use one eh ?

How about for coolant ? Might be good idea to handle
dirty coolant that the swarf would clog/damage a impeller
pump.

When someone can suggest a sensible theory for the operation, I'll consider thinking about it.

Meanwhile, no. I'll go with the fake as explanation. Clickbait for views.

The DC one is really the killer on the entire deal. It is self-cancelling.

Induction pumps are legit. They produce a moving magnetic field much like the stator in an induction motor, and an eddy current forms in the conductive fluid which makes an opposing magnetic field which follows the original moving field. They don't work that well with water, but work great with liquid metals.
Homopolar motors cause a conductive fluid to swirl around a permanent magnet. These work reasonably well with water. You could make one with the coils shown in the video, but that's not what they did.
The pump shown in the video is fake and nonsense.

They are pretty standard for use in certain types of electric furnace, or used to be, anyway.

Water is a problem, as the resistance is high, and the phase shift would be small as a result. Also the duration of an eddy current is small in high resistance material.

A homopolar motor is constructed totally differently from the video.

Yep, bogus clickbait

Induction pumps are used in moving molten solder in wave soldering machines, so yeah, that's legit. In THEORY, if they created a super conductive brine for that demo, it MIGHT have worked a little. But the lack of a suction vortex or even turbulence on the inlet pipe where it goes into the ditch is proof that he connected to a pipe going to a real pump somewhere out of frame.

Induction pumps are used in moving molten solder in wave soldering machines, so yeah, that's legit. In THEORY, if they created a super conductive brine for that demo, it MIGHT have worked a little. But the lack of a suction vortex or even turbulence on the inlet pipe where it goes into the ditch is proof that he connected to a pipe going to a real pump somewhere out of frame.
It still wouldn't have worked because the magnetic field is stationary or oscillating instead of moving in a line. It would need three phase or at least a run capacitor.

Back