What's new
What's new

Way WAY OT...time to buy a new car...recommendations?

At the rate things are going, that might be the better choice.

This time around, I think Pat Paulsen would have a pretty good chance.

Better idea

Steve-I for president:D
EmGo for VP:eek:

Kinda like that bonehead W with Dick Cheney running the USA behind the scenes.

Thermite as the chief speech writer
I'd be chief female intern tester (CFIT)
Steve-I would also be transportation chief.

What possibly could go wrong? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :eek:

I suspect I'd be fired after a few days.Back to obscurity in California or in jail

Tis you who are OD'ing on Kool Aid
Why not inform yourself on the law passed?
Exempts plug in hybrids
So all this gnashing of teeth for naught
Taking you behind the woodshed is getting to be exhausting.

From the CARB website, in its entirety here.

Highlights for you, written by a person who is caught up in feelings and platitudes instead of reality.

Plug-in hybrid, full battery-electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles count toward an automaker’s requirement. PHEVs must have an all-electric range of at least 50 miles under real-world driving conditions. In addition, automakers will be allowed to meet no more than 20% of their overall ZEV requirement with PHEVs.

So people in the cities will have PHEVs shoved down their throats because they don't want to have the limitations. What do the people not in the metro areas buy when PHEVs have sold their quota and the premium pricing they'll fetch prices them out of the market?

Also: I love when people codify what amounts to engineering requirements when they don't know the first damned thing about the subject. Oh we'd like transparent aluminum that is lighter than current aluminum but, maintains the strength of all current known alloys:

By model year 2030, the rules require the vehicle to maintain at least 80% of electric range for 10 years or 150,000 miles. (Phased in from 70% for 2026 through 2029 model year vehicles.) By model year 2031, individual vehicle battery packs are warranted to maintain 75% of their energy for eight years or 100,000 miles. (Phased in from 70% for 2026 through 2030 model years.) ZEV powertrain components are warranted for at least three years or 50,000 miles.

Oh, and how will we pay for all of this? I'll bulletize their points for your easy consumption. If you want to argue, the full text is linked above.
  • Governor Newsom proposed, and the Legislature has approved, $2.7 billion in fiscal year 2022-23,
  • and $3.9 billion over three years, for investment in ZEV adoption, as well as clean mobility options for California’s most environmentally and economically burdened communities.
  • Clean Cars 4 All provides up to $9,500 to low-income drivers who scrap their older vehicles and want to purchase something that runs cleaner.
  • The Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP) provides up to $7,000 for income-qualified drivers to buy or lease a ZEV.
  • The Clean Vehicle Assistance Program provides low-income car buyers with special financing and up to $5,000 in down-payment assistance.
  • The Governor’s ZEV budget includes $400 million over three years for the statewide expansion of Clean Cars 4 All and for a suite of clean transportation equity projects. The budget also includes $525 million for the Clean Vehicles Rebate Project (CVRP). In addition, there is $300 million for more charging infrastructure, especially for those consumers who may not have a garage where they can charge their EV.
The state is broke. Broke broke. Where's all that money going to come from? Drooling morons get upset at the big bad capitalists and all the rich boogymen who supposedly don't pay their fair share. Then the same morons vote in bond measures and tax increases on themselves. Whose money do they think is being given away in those programs?

1993 Suzuki RMX250
4.9 gallon tank, range >180 miles
Could be refuelled from another bike if need be

Not an Electric bike built now, or maybe for the next 10 years could get that range.

RMX250-2.jpg

1993 Suzuki RMX250
4.9 gallon tank, range >180 miles
Could be refuelled from another bike if need be

Not an Electric bike built now, or maybe for the next 10 years could get that range.
1995 BMW R100GS PD
9.0 gallon tank > 320 miles to reserve
Off road? Anyones guess

Did a loop out in Death Valley National Monument in 2001 with BMW North America. Something like 15 bikes started with full tanks at Stovepipe Wells. BMW trucked in 110 gallons of gas, in drums, up Big Pine Road, to meet us at the north end. Without them, my motorcycle was the only one that would have made it back to gas. Mileage goes to hell off road. Saline Valley road is one endless sand wash. Jeeps go in there with full tanks and multiple extra cans onboard.

We did photos at Ubehebe Crater around 6:00 PM. The gas stations at Stovepipe, Furnace creek and Trona were closing at 7:00 PM (no way I'd make it). I was basically a hostage until the next morning. They said they'd give me gas off the truck if I really needed it but, would rather I hang out with them back at Furnace Creek. They bought everyone dinner at the steak house. Steak beat sleeping next to my motorcycle in the desert so I joined them.

Lots of scenarios out west where electric won't ever work. Same motorcycle, on the road. Was going up 395 to Oregon. Ran it until I had a couple of gallons left (which is 80ish miles). Figured it was time to get gas. No gas. I'm on "US 395", not some little back road. No towns, no gas. I rolled into I forget where Oregon. A mobile home for a store, two gas pumps, regular gas, cash only. And they closed at like 7:00 as well (just made it).

Did that again two years ago, again in eastern Oregon on a different bike. Tesla supercharger my ass, they also only had Regular gas and limited hours. Limited service stations is a very current thing in the United States.

If we were serious about reducing carbon foot print the animal shelters would become all kill shelters and replacement pets would not be allowed. Think of all the energy wasted to make pet food, kitty litter etc.
Government buildings, including schools and city hall, should not be heated above say 40 degrees to stop the pipes from freezing and never cooled.
If congress can not pass a spending bill they should turn of the power until the bill is paid. That way no lights and microphones for speeches.
I would think Canada would be in favor of global warming increasing the growing season and increasing the crop land further north.
Bill D

1995 BMW R100GS PD
9.0 gallon tank > 320 miles to reserve
Off road? Anyones guess

Did a loop out in Death Valley National Monument in 2001 with BMW North America. Something like 15 bikes started with full tanks at Stovepipe Wells. BMW trucked in 110 gallons of gas, in drums, up Big Pine Road, to meet us at the north end. Without them, my motorcycle was the only one that would have made it back to gas. Mileage goes to hell off road. Saline Valley road is one endless sand wash. Jeeps go in there with full tanks and multiple extra cans onboard.

We did photos at Ubehebe Crater around 6:00 PM. The gas stations at Stovepipe, Furnace creek and Trona were closing at 7:00 PM (no way I'd make it). I was basically a hostage until the next morning. They said they'd give me gas off the truck if I really needed it but, would rather I hang out with them back at Furnace Creek. They bought everyone dinner at the steak house. Steak beat sleeping next to my motorcycle in the desert so I joined them.

Lots of scenarios out west where electric won't ever work. Same motorcycle, on the road. Was going up 395 to Oregon. Ran it until I had a couple of gallons left (which is 80ish miles). Figured it was time to get gas. No gas. I'm on "US 395", not some little back road. No towns, no gas. I rolled into I forget where Oregon. A mobile home for a store, two gas pumps, regular gas, cash only. And they closed at like 7:00 as well (just made it).

Did that again two years ago, again in eastern Oregon on a different bike. Tesla supercharger my ass, they also only had Regular gas and limited hours. Limited service stations is a very current thing in the United States.

Sound like you had an interesting experience in 2001. East of the 395 would be death for EV's enough small roads were an EV driver not paying attention could well get into trouble.

I never did any dual sport rides around the Death Valley area. There were always Countdown rides, but never fancied them.

I prefer single track, Kennedy Meadows for instance, or my favorite rides were the Dual Dog rides out of California Hot Springs. I have some of the trails we road there etched in my mind.

--------------------------------------------

I talked to friends about getting adventure bikes and doing long distance riding camping

So Muggins here bought a DR650. Got all the camping gear, got all ready and Bristol fashion, early Spring 2022 Expecting two friends in particular would follow suit as they indicated they would.

Did they like hell, still waiting for them to pull the trigger. So I might ride out to Trona and camp in a week or two, take pictures and see if it spurs their interest.

DR650 due to the reliability, and large range of stuff availible to make it a long distance mount. Nothing near the range of yours though. My backside goes numb before I get to reserve.

--------------------------------------------

To backtrack a bit-

A contractor for the electrical utility was on site in the business complex where my shop is replacing all lighting with high efficiency LED’s yesterday.

I chatted the guy up and apparently the state is aggressively preparing the grid for greater EV adoption as the 2030 transition nears (I didn’t know the state was EV by 2030).

The upgrade was done at no cost to the businesses and I now have new lighting in the shop.

Edit-

Looking it up MD is a 2035 state.
I don’t know why the guy told me 2030 as he was well informed on the issue otherwise:

Md climate initiatives

Last edited:
If we were serious about reducing carbon foot print the animal shelters would become all kill shelters and replacement pets would not be allowed. Think of all the energy wasted to make pet food, kitty litter etc.
Nah, pet stuff is just a drop in the bucket compared to the human food business.

40% of Americans are obese, 70% are overweight. That's a LOT of extra (unnecessary) food being produced....

ToolCat

"1993 Suzuki RMX250
4.9 gallon tank, range >180 miles"

Aftermarket acerbis tank, yes? I have the same one fitted to my DRZ400, 5 gallon tank, 50 mpg on that. Only caveat is the tiny radiator fan has to come out - I only ever saw the red ovetemp light come on once stuck in traffic on a 90F day, I just shut the motor off. The R100RS has a slightly smaller tank than most (not a slab-sided one) but i did manage to buy a set of Luftmeister saddle tanks at one gallon each, so two more gallons which gives at least 60 more miles range.

"1993 Suzuki RMX250
4.9 gallon tank, range >180 miles"

Aftermarket acerbis tank, yes? I have the same one fitted to my DRZ400, 5 gallon tank, 50 mpg on that. Only caveat is the tiny radiator fan has to come out - I only ever saw the red ovetemp light come on once stuck in traffic on a 90F day, I just shut the motor off. The R100RS has a slightly smaller tank than most (not a slab-sided one) but i did manage to buy a set of Luftmeister saddle tanks at one gallon each, so two more gallons which gives at least 60 more miles range.

It's a Clarke tank.

It has a nice shape, although large capacity isn't excessively wide.

Back