What's new
What's new

Way WAY OT...time to buy a new car...recommendations?

But…
That and other factors are deciding factors in the implementation of EV’s in China on a pace similar to or advanced on those timelines put forth in the U.S.

I think someone posted exhaust pipes as a foil to US policies in all I can think of as “what use is it given CHINA”..
Not supported by the facts on the ground.
I kind of don't understand what you are saying here.

wow, no proof, no evidence, just bluster
everyone lies but you, ok
Photographs, okay ? You think they are produced by ai or photoshop ? I am a talented artist who drew that with my crayons ? Every effing time I go outside for the past several years when it isn't raining, it's like that.

Reality ...

horseshit://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/
Oh wow, three days in the past ten years they have an inversion omigod, that has NEVER happened in Los Angeles, nope no sirreee, it's only in that nasty-ass commnist China that there can be a bad day here and there from weather conditions.

This is so fucking stoopid. I fucking live here. I go outside every single day. Your stuff is bullshit. Air is not as good here as blaine, worse than SF usually, better than oakland sometimes, usually better than los angeles. It's equal to california, overall.

People have been bound and determined to believe stupid-ass crap for thousands of years, this shouldn't surprise me. But at least people with an IQ over ten can look at photos and decide for themselves.

TR, that citation is shit and those dickwads couldn't find their ass with both hands. So many statements totally wrong.

Just ONE simple example because it would take me all night to do all the mistatements :

"In early 2018, six Chinese megacities with high air pollution began restricting the number of license plates issued for ICE vehicles and charging high fees for them. With their lower-cost, more-abundant “green car plates,” EVs became cost-competitive, and sales soared. To protect Chinese carmakers, the national government recently announced that it plans to end those restrictions."

The central government doesn't have a fucking thing to do with registrations. Nothing. It's all done by each city, and each one is different. Plus restrictions on plates did not "start in 2018". Depending on the city, plates were hard to get as far back as 2008 and at that time they had absolutely nothing to do with ev's.

And they sure as hell have not ended the restrictions. Plates do not grow on trees, without plates you ain't drivin' nuthin nowhere. There's only so many a year, there's a raffle to get them and they are expensive - last I heard a blue plate in shanghai was $10,000 if you could get one. Beijing is worse. Green plates, btw, go with the car, as opposed to blue plates, which go with the person. That's definitely going to have some effect but what it will be is unknown ... but those shit-for-brains don't even know the situation.

The whole thing is way complicated, these halfwit "studies" by loser academics who have no idea what is going on are just garbage. Pure unadulterated garbage.

Also can't believe they can get away with saying electric motors are more expensive than an internal combustion engine, without being laughed off the planet. Chinese car makers are strong n electrics because they are easier to build. And cheaper. Not because of subsidies, because it's cheaper to make them.

What a bunch of fuckwit retards.

Last edited:
I have to assume a modern bev has. better a battery and better battery management system then something made twenty years ago. Similar to the advances made by ice cars from 1965 to 1985 in mpg and longevity.
BilL D.
BilL D

I quote the Chinese gov't authorities, and you make crap up
You quoted an air quality warning that was in effect for three fucking days and act like it's the consistent ongoing situation. You are either ignorant or dishonest. Ignorant would be the kinder interpretation.

Guess what ? I can pull up American and Canadian air quality warnings over the past few years that went on for weeks. Much much worse air quality when whole states couldn't see across the road. But I'm not dishonest enough to do that, and claim US air is shit, which is what you are doing because you wouldn't recognize truth if it rose up out of the grunter and took a huge chomp out of your ass.

As I’ve already said, I’m all for ev cars if it works for the individual, but, sorry EG, one cannot call China’s laudable efforts with ev car percentage effective against carbon induced global warming. You must account for source of electricity. You seem to be avoiding acceptance of this fact. According to S&P Goobal, China is at 61% of its electricity being coal generated. USA is 16%. Some folks may not accept, but the simple fact is coal is incredibly polluting both as much more carbon intensive than natural gas, to say nothing of hydro or nuclear, but also liberating heavy metal plumes affecting people down wind.

North America is going the right direction with its electrical generation. China (and India where I’ve spent a lot of time) is still building more and bigger coal plants. Scrubbers don’t get rid of much carbon and heavy metal emissions. Both countries are now far from poor. It’s too bad they are choosing coal instead of carbon neutral.

(Edited for punctuation)

Last edited:
You quoted an air quality warning that was in effect for three fucking days and act like it's the consistent ongoing situation. You are either ignorant or dishonest. Ignorant would be the kinder interpretation.

Guess what ? I can pull up American and Canadian air quality warnings over the past few years that went on for weeks. Much much worse air quality when whole states couldn't see across the road. But I'm not dishonest enough to do that, and claim US air is shit, which is what you are doing because you wouldn't recognize truth if it rose up out of the grunter and took a huge chomp out of your ass.

Ok, EG, I’m going to have to criticize you for the Canada air quality comment. Our shitty air quality for much of the previous few year’s summers were from forrest fires. Not from our country’s coal electrical generation like China. Forrest fires directly caused by global warming. Caused by, amongst other things, burning coal. And the majority of global coal burning today is two countries: India and China.

Your three day bad air comment may be accurate for where you live but sure as heck isn’t accurate for Beijing or many other locales in China (or India)

You accuse others of distorting facts. Please examine your own comments and do better.

As I’ve already said, I’m all for ev cars if it works for the individual, but, sorry EG, cannot call China laudable efforts with ev car percentage effective against carbon induced global warming. You must account for source of electricity.
It's accounted for in the paper you said you read. Also, I don't remember if it was in that paper or another but the worst case is, with coal-fired electric plants making the electricity, it creates the same co2 as ice cars getting 60 to 100 mpg. Which is still considerably better than any of the ten million f350's out there.

china is obviously not going to stick with coal forever. There are several reasons for that which any length of watching how they do things would tell you. They don't upset the applecart. They just don't do that. But they don't put billions and billions of dollars into wind and solar just to have it sit around, either. This isn't the US, where one week solar is cool, the next week it's hydro, then a month later they decide to put people's gerbils into ferris wheels.

I don't know what their long-term plan is. Nobody does, no matter what peter zeihan says. But if you look at the history, they've done pretty damn well with the step by step method, and I have no reason to believe they'll suddenly fall apart and become the US Congress any time soon.

I agree, citing the forest fire air pollution is bee ess. But that's what gustafson was doing, pulling a few days of bad air caused by unusual situations and calling it the norm. It isn't. How many photographs does it take, one a day for the next ten years ? This is NOT 2006 anymore.

btw, as far as I know china has never had a river catch fire. Pot -> kettle, eh ? Yes it was shitty but they've put billions of dollars into changing that. Air now is pretty good.

hangzhou-air.jpg

hongkong-air.jpg

guangzhou-air.jpg

shanghai-air.jpg

beijing-air.jpg

Those are all large, industrial cities. Maybe Hong Kong not as industrial but it's ten feet away from shenzhen, so should count.

Yes, overall china is not as clean as north america, but it is not the polluted hellhole described by most people in north america, who have not been in china either ever, or in the past ten years. But they read about it in the paper, so must be true ... (the same paper that when it says stuff about unowho, they despise. But if it's about china, and bad, must be true).

btw, your buddy mexico city would seem to be quite a bit worse than any place I found in china. Maybe worry about them instead ?

p.s., no, no cherry picking. Methodology was type in city name then grab the top one of the search results. I have no idea where fredonia is, except that's the top of the list when you type in new york. Etc etc. China cities are just the ones I can think of, all big. The page layout is different, no idea why. Have to look at the label across the top.

Milwaukee is two whole parts better than shanghai and new york three whole parts better than beijing. Wow, what a difference ! Think I'll go hang my head in shame now, gustafson was right, china is a disaster.

Fuck me, it's so nice having the world consistently lie about you.

Last edited:
Southern California, on Southern California Edison power (the main power supplier in the area), in a normal neighborhood, my delivered electric rate is $0.44/kWh already. I don't know where people are getting this supposedly "cheap" electricity. I don't think they read their bills completely.

Dang you just made me check. Just under $.14/kWh here in Florida.

Uhh, yeah,
much worse air quality?
Baloney

Uhh, yeah,
much worse air quality?
Baloney
As has been pointed out, talking to you is pointless, you know whatever fable you believe no matter what.

But for normal people with functioning brains, feel free to check the air quality worldwide website ever day. I am happy to put up daily photos of the air in shang, which is apparently not the best in the country. Nothing to hide. Every single day I see several quick vids from all over the country, easy enough to do screenshots. Shows same thing.

For anyone with an IQ over ten and functioning eyes, the physical evidence is pretty clear. This is not 2005 anymore.

Here ya go, gus. A baloney sammich, hold the mayo. Current, tuesday night, 10:13, not from ten years ago.

world-air.jpg

AS has been noted before, you and all your previous iterations have a mindless worship of the Chinese gov't that never quits. So yes it is not 10 years ago.
10 years ago
The US started making serious attempts to curb pollution in 1967
Coal use is growing in China

In the last 10 years or so Coal use in the US has dropped by nearly 50 percent

China is better than it was, but it was horrifically bad

AS has been noted before, you and all your previous iterations have a mindless worship of the Chinese gov't that never quits. So yes it is not 10 years ago.
10 years ago
The US started making serious attempts to curb pollution in 1967
Coal use is growing in China

In the last 10 years or so Coal use in the US has dropped by nearly 50 percent

China is better than it was, but it was horrifically bad

I've no dog in this fight... But I was just sent this article about 20 minutes ago.

Dang you just made me check. Just under $.14/kWh here in Florida.
Is that total? I meant to respond to this yesterday but, my electric provider's billing website was down.

The reason I ask: my electric bill is 6 pages long. I believe they break up the bill to confuse people. People spot a number per kWh and think that's it. Tier 1 power is used up by the refrigerator, clocks and other parasitic loads in the house. Tier 2 is the only meaningful number because that's where things like charging a car, heating the house or cooking with electricity will come from.

The distribution and power generation are on different pages and need to be added. I'm paying a solid $0.45. I'm beyond blown away that your power is that much cheaper.

SCE1.JPGSCE2.JPG

Is that total? I meant to respond to this yesterday but, my electric provider's billing website was down.

The reason I ask: my electric bill is 6 pages long. I believe they break up the bill to confuse people. People spot a number per kWh and think that's it. Tier 1 power is used up by the refrigerator, clocks and other parasitic loads in the house. Tier 2 is the only meaningful number because that's where things like charging a car, heating the house or cooking with electricity will come from.

The distribution and power generation are on different pages and need to be added. I'm paying a solid $0.45. I'm beyond blown away that your power is that much cheaper.

View attachment 442196View attachment 442197

Power website is being dumb right now, I can't get in the website or the app, so I presume they're having issues. But my power bill is only one page with about 5 line items. My usage at the base rate, my usage at the elevated rate (after 500kWh), connection fee, and taxes/fees.

To get my total delivered cost I took the entire bill with all fees and everything and divided it by the number of kWh I was billed for. I don't remember exactly but it came out to like 13.8 cents. Base rate is only like 12 cents per kWh.

My power comes from a CoOp. I earn equity for every year I'm a customer. Every 20 or so years they pay out that equity, depending on the vote of the controlling board, and you get a check back for the equity you're owed. I've been a member for about 7 years, and my equity is not quite $800. They also do things like allow you to round up your bill to the nearest dollar, and the donation is kept aside for customers who need a hand paying their own bill.

Back