What's new
What's new

Way WAY OT...time to buy a new car...recommendations?

It really isn't all that telling to look at the instantaneous AQI on any given day. It's more accurate to look at averages across the year. That tells it like it is, IMO.

you can play games all over the place ...

country.jpg

If you look around various sites and average things, china comes in about 30% worse than the US ... with five times the population and what, a hundred times the manufacturing ?

I actually prefer the aqi numbers because several years ago when I watched it carefully, they had the best methodology and the most accurate systems.

You can easily slant the numbers if you like - no one lives in the arctic but it's part of canada, if you like to distort the situation canada is going to have the cleanest air on the planet, except not where anyone lives. How many people in Alaska, for instance ?

But none of that matters. Generally speaking, china is no longer the "horrific" polluted air capital of the world, as mr gus would like to believe. It's just not true.

I walk outside every fucking day, shanghai is not one of the clean and pretty places - better than tianjin and beijing, worse than most other places - plus weixin is full of people from all over the country blabbing - air pollution simply is not the situation it was ten years ago and every year gets better.

Believe whatever the fuck you want because you will anyway, US people have their heads so far up their ass they can open their mouth and see the moon on a bright night - I go outside and know y'all are full of shit.

btw, didja find them weapons of mass destruction yet ?

you can play games all over the place ...

View attachment 442651

If you look around various sites and average things, china comes in about 30% worse than the US ... with five times the population and what, a hundred times the manufacturing ?

I actually prefer the aqi numbers because several years ago when I watched it carefully, they had the best methodology and the most accurate systems.

You can easily slant the numbers if you like - no one lives in the arctic but it's part of canada, if you like to distort the situation canada is going to have the cleanest air on the planet, except not where anyone lives. How many people in Alaska, for instance ?

But none of that matters. Generally speaking, china is no longer the "horrific" polluted air capital of the world, as mr gus would like to believe. It's just not true.

I walk outside every fucking day, shanghai is not one of the clean and pretty places - better than tianjin and beijing, worse than most other places - plus weixin is full of people from all over the country blabbing - air pollution simply is not the situation it was ten years ago and every year gets better.

Believe whatever the fuck you want because you will anyway, US people have their heads so far up their ass they can open their mouth and see the moon on a bright night - I go outside and know y'all are full of shit.

btw, didja find them weapons of mass destruction yet ?

That's kinda' my point. If you can't trust anyone, you can't trust *any* of their numbers. Almost *everyone* has a slant. And you walk outside every day, that's great. Do you do it all over the country there, in every industrial city? Got some long legs.

You need to take a chill pill, cut back on the ranting a bit. The not very subtle insults are getting old.

I'll let people in california deal with the rest because they are dealing with this right now and know more than me. But the above statement is wrong, as anyone who lives in California will tell you. There's all sorts of products that "big retailers" will not ship to California, money or no money. Lots.

You can still buy gas water heaters, gas stoves, gas furnaces here in California

I installed a new 40k btu gas furnace maybe a year ago in the house

As for furnaces there are models that can't be sold in CA, but many that can.

----------------------------

100% irrelavent anyway, once they eventually get scarce, 5 minutes on offerup or CL or FB marketplace will get you an appliance you need.

And what kind of a real machinist would buy a house with a 100 amp service?

Me for a start.

I have the old push-in breakers, fortunately not the ones that catch fire. At some point I'm to have to upgrade the panel to a panel that uses conventional breakers.

In theory it would have to be a new panel that is solar ready to meet code. $2500-3500 depending on how desperate the electrician is for cash.

What I haven't asked SCE is if the service can be upped to at least 200A.

Plan is too move a VMC and CNC lathe into the garage at some point. The manual machines I already know can run ok on the existing service. The VMC doesn't draw much juice, the lathe does though. So might have to run 5C/3J collets instead of the 8" chuck to cut down on starting amps.

And you walk outside every day, that's great. Do you do it all over the country there, in every industrial city? Got some long legs.
Yes, as a matter of fact. People ALL OVER CHINA put up their stuff every effing day on weixin. You can see all over the place in almost real time.

The stuff you insist on believing is crap.

And YES, shanghai is a major industrial city and YES the air here was bad and now it's a billion times better, which is true all over the country.

You need to take a chill pill, cut back on the ranting a bit. The not very subtle insults are getting old.
You need to quit making excuses and putting up stupid shit, if you don't want people who live in the area discussed to get upset at all the dishonesty spread about this place.

I DON'T LIKE LIES, never have and most likely never will.

Maybe if a few other people stood up to lies, the US could have avoided about fifty economic and humanitarian disasters, which is ALL that the US has accomplished over the past fifty years. Death and destruction and ruin, just about everywhere the liars go.

You could try that approach for a change. Should work better for everyone.

Or you can cling to that crap while the country finishes swirling the toilet. Your choice.

Yes, as a matter of fact. People ALL OVER CHINA put up their stuff every effing day on weixin. You can see all over the place in almost real time.

The stuff you insist on believing is crap.

And YES, shanghai is a major industrial city and YES the air here was bad and now it's a billion times better, which is true all over the country.

You need to quit making excuses and putting up stupid shit, if you don't want people who live in the area discussed to get upset at all the dishonesty spread about this place.

I DON'T LIKE LIES, never have and most likely never will.

Maybe if a few other people stood up to lies, the US could have avoided about fifty economic and humanitarian disasters, which is ALL that the US has accomplished over the past fifty years. Death and destruction and ruin, just about everywhere the liars go.

You could try that approach for a change. Should work better for everyone.

Or you can cling to that crap while the country finishes swirling the toilet. Your choice.

Just do me a favor and take a chill pill.

Yeah, but can your new thread go to 21+ pages?

Good thing PM discourages idle chit chat.

:-)

(I am curious how your ride is working out)

The CAL trains in the San Francisco are are shut down this week end. They are test running electric canternary trains. Plan is to start revenue service in September. Only took 150 years to switch. It will eliminate the fumes from burning bunker c oil in a "diesel" engine.
Bill D

Bunker C, really?
no. As usual, Bill's cheese has gone elsewhere. They haven't run bunker c since they retired the trainmasters. In fact, they may have retired the trainmasters because they quit using bunker c. I was maybe a teenager then ? so they still ran all the way to 4th and townsend, where you used to get on the daylight behind a 4-8-4 making 4500 hp.

(for a diesel, the trainmasters were impressive. They'd shit-n-git)

i'll be back later but this was too ridiculous

I guess my info was way out of date. No locomotives still use bunker. c oil, just diesel these days. They still stink, just not quite as bad. They still use bunker C in ship engines like in Baltimore.
BilLD

In North Philly, they run trackless trollies on some of the old trolly routes. Looks like a regular city bus but has a thing-o to connect to the overhead caternary. Electric power is great for trains. Who needs batteries when lots of power is always right overhead?

They still use bunker C in ship engines like in Baltimore.
no, ships have different terminology, it's "light distillate" and "heavy fuel oil" or something like that but they don't use the heavy oil in port, or within some fairly large distance of shore. Ten miles out or something ? Could look it up but no, no bunker c on ships in port either.

You'll feel this one. Maybe @eaglemike too. Probably a bunch of guys not in this thread.

Yes, very disappointed about this closing. Back in the late 1970's and 1980's I remember starting to buy stuff with their name on it. I've been buying direct from them for years now. It's been a lot harder to get stuff since the covid situation. I have s/n 1 and 2 Suzuki GS1000, and had hoped to be able to refurbish them, bought them in kind of tired shape. Sudco was a place to get some stuff for them. I bought what I could recently. Sad day.

That is a really good thing. Any time anywhere on the world cleans up any kind of emissions, it's a good thing for all of us.

But it wasn't the point.

The point was and is, for about the past ten years there has been a concerted effort to portray china in the worst possible light. In fact the state department set up a 1.5 billion dollar program to teach the press how to lie about china. Yes I better go find the item in the budget but no I am not making this up. Fuck obama and his "pivot to the pacific" this ain't 1952 no more, assbreath.

These people are liars. Proven liars. They lied about korea, they lied through their teeth about vietnam, they lied about iran, they lied about every country in south america that they hadn't destroyed yet, they lied about iraq they lied about afghanistan, they lied about kosovo they lied about syria they do nothing but lie lie lie lie lie and every one of their fucking worthless stupid lies ("aluminum tubes ! they're making nukes !") has fucked up the US worse and worse and worse. The problems the US has are problems the US made all for its self all by itself.

WHY do you people just keep following along like a huge herd of sheep, time after time after time after time ?

View attachment 442620

Anyway, the point was gus'es US propaganda about the horrific Chinese air pollution. That hasn't been true for ten years now. This particular propaganda is quite easy to discredit, for people with two eyes and a functioning brain.

It's certainly not upstate Washington and never will be (the air circulates in a giant clockwise swirl over the pacific. US air is cold and dry coming from the north, China air is hot and wet coming from the south. Hot and wet is always going to be messier than cold and dry ... anyway) but it's not 2005 anymore, either.

Point is this lying dishonest shit from the establishment should be pounded back up their ass with a giant wooden mallet till it pops out the front and dings the bell. They are the scum of the universe and should be recognized as such.

Unfortunately, while I was busy memorizing the communist party line, I accidentally clicked on the wrong links and came across a couple videos dramatically showing both the horrific pollution endemic to the country and the miserable lives of its poor downtrodden citizens. Guess I'm going to have to rethink my position :(

WHY do you people just keep following along like a huge herd of sheep, time after time after time after time ? ..L O f'n L! 🤣

Back