What's new
What's new

Way WAY OT...time to buy a new car...recommendations?

"Todays electronics are not field repairable. They consist of manufacturer specific custom chips mounted on multi-layer PCB's and when built, they produced a limited volume of spares."

A1 cardone does ECM repairs. I've used them. The stuff's not magic. Also the ECM is a part of the emission control system and as such has a federal 100K mile warranty. Again, I've used this. Got a brand new free ECM for a corolla. zero cost. This thing here is hardly a quantum computer, it's just plain ol electronics:

Attachments

• DSC00048.JPG
    DSC00048.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 4
Just check the resale value of those machines.
Everyone is so hung up on this.....who cares???
If you had good iron up front, Fanuc control.....and the thing still runs, hold specs ....it's making money. 🤑
Granted it won't be fast.......you will need to give it some Love at times.........
So does it really make any difference if it's worth scrap value to someone else......not in my book.
I don't see any benefit for me to spend $75/100K on a "new" machine so I can get my parts done a few seconds faster.
I'll keep that money in my grimy little paws. :D
Will add, it all depends what your are doing with it, full-blown job shop?......trying for that last penny? .....nope........then you are forced to keep up.
But in my case, making parts in house for product we sell..........a non issue.
For context, my oldest is a 1984 Hitachi Seiki va-40.
Has run 4 out of the last 6 work days, flawlessly.

All of my CNC machine tools are Reagan era. All of them hold size and function just as they did when I took them out of the box. I see no reason to junk/replace them.
Parts and electronics are available and accessories are as well. Sure, I'd love a new Okuma or Mori, but the old ones are holding tenths and slugging out parts just like they did in the '80s.
All of my cars, with one exception, have gone 250k to 350k miles on the original drivetrain. The one exception was a lemon from the factory and I dumped it within two years. It comes down to taking care of things.
When something breaks, it gets fixed/replaced. No matter how trivial it may be and no matter the cost. I never bought into the "it's not worth it" argument.
Stuff can last and last by just following that.
Cars get oil changes and tune ups as specified in the manuals. Tires get replaced and washes are regular. They're driven carefully.
CNCs get oil changes and coolant flushes regularly and don't get crashed or slammed.
I expect all of my CNCs to be there in 20 years, with, hopefully, a few new additions.

Tyrone, you have it wrong. I agree that manual machines often last 100 yrs. It is the CNC machines that do not. Not because they are mechanically worn out, on the contrary, it is the controls and software that are no longer supported that cause the issue.
I would offer a counter argument. When I was still in gainful employment, we had two large Ravensburg lathes completely re-controlled and upgraded. It's quite a major project, but it's all PLCs, relays, etc in cabinets beside the actual machine. The head end that the operator sees is generally a tarted up PC running custom software, which can also be completely replaced when the software or hardware get unsupportable. If you think about it, it's just the evolution of machine tool reconditioning.

My 1977 Datsun 810 was the first year for fuel injection. At least it was used on the more Datsuns. Much better than the twin SU knockoffs used before.
Bill D

Hi All:
So I found a nice one...a 2020 Honda Insight Hybrid with 63,000 km on it with the "Touring Trim" package on it (power seats, seat heaters, and mirror heaters, sunroof, and other doodads I neither know nor care about)

It's a bit garish in colour (metallic burgundy) for an old fart like me and it has a small dent in the right rear quarter panel that I opted to leave for now so I can get the car into my hands on Friday.
Here's a picture:
2020 Honda Insight.PNG

I choked a bit at the price (just north of $26,000 CAD) but it's within my budget and its quite a bit more car than I expected to get.
The price is pretty typical for this vintage and mileage in Vancouver.
Carfax showed good: no smashes, well maintained and certified by Surrey Honda just last September.

This thing is WAY nicer than I deserve, so I'm pretty happy.
I bought from a different Honda dealership (Richmond Honda) so its again been Certified Preowned and has a warranty (150K powertrain).

It is SO much nicer to drive than the typical Modo (carshare) shitboxes I've become accustomed to...I feel like a pimp with a fur coat, bling around my neck and a pink Escalade strapped to my ass.

I've done good enough that I'm a happy dude...apparently the Insight is one of those few hybrids that sips gas (50+MPG) but is decent to drive and is almost bulletproof.
It certainly has no trouble in traffic or on the freeway...something the Prius C and the Mazda 2 I most often ran with Modo were pretty pitiful at.

So I have a new sled...WOOHOOHOO!
Now to get my sorry ass back to the shop and make some coin so I can begin to forget about the tab.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Last edited:
Hi EmGo:
Shit...I forgot to check for bombs!:D
Of course I did buy the car from Richmond and not Surrey, so maybe I should be sniffing for delicious Chinese food hiding in the trunk instead.
We shall see if I'm still giddy about my score a month from now or if I'm back on here whining about how hard done by I am.

For those who have NO idea what EmGo and I are babbling about, metro Vancouver is multi ethnic and much of the Indian community has settled in Surrey while Richmond (right next door) is mostly Chinese...so much so, that the street signs are in Chinese as well as English.
We also have a big Persian community in North Vancouver along with other ethic clusters tucked away all over.

It's a great place to live and rub shoulders with all kinds of exotic folks.
There are jaw droppingly gorgeous young ladies from all over the world here, and I get to enjoy their beauty in all it's magnificent variety, just by stepping out my door.
There are super interesting young folk with amazing backgrounds...some from very different cultures from my own, and I get to find out who they are and what they care about just by asking.
It's endlessly fascinating to be here...too bad it's become so damned expensive.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Last edited:
I didn't read all the comments, but a year ago I was all wound up to buy a car to replace my Chrysler 300, which had bit the dust.

Something small and fuel efficient were my requirements. Nissan would fit the bill for me.

In perusing the facebook marketplace, I noticed lots and lots of Nissans... usually priced to make you click on them and read.

Seems like every one of the reasonably priced cars were described as "runs as it should, ice cold air, excellent heat... interior spotless....needs transmission.

Nissan CVT transmissions seem prone to failure. From what I gather, they buy their trannys from JATCO, don't make them themselves.

I ended up finding a 2014 Honda Accord with 4,000 miles!!!! Word is Honda produces their own trannys, and have very few problems with the CVT. Toyota, same way.

...I feel like a pimp with a fur coat, bling around my neck and a pink Escalade strapped to my ass...

Though you may not drive a great big Cadillac
Gangsta whitewalls TV antennas in the back
You may not have a car at all
But remember, brothers and sisters
You can still stand tall
Just be thankful for what you've got
Though you may not drive a great big Cadillac
Diamond in the back, sunroof top, diggin' the scene with a gangsta lean
Gangsta whitewalls, TV antennas in the back

Curtis Mayfield​

:)

Tyrone, you have it wrong. I agree that manual machines often last 100 yrs. It is the CNC machines that do not. Not because they are mechanically worn out, on the contrary, it is the controls and software that are no longer supported that cause the issue.

I found a tool you'll like

Never will it be obsolete
Software licence will never run out
Electronics are bullet proof.
No worries that a solar flare will fry the ECU and make it obsolete (surprised you didn't bring that up)
Doesn't require a brain surgeon to operate one
No batteries to go bad
Can't lose the battery charger
No issue with somebody wanting to borrow it.
works under water.
No yearly maintenace contract
No fly by-wire control to go wrong
You'll never have to have it reflashed at the dealer.
No worries about the best year to buy, all the same.
Unlikely to have been crashed, or involved in an accident

.hand drill.jpg

Back