What's new
What's new

Weight of Cinci #3 combination mill

Cannonmn

Stainless
Looked at mill pictured, maybe to buy but my largest fork is 10k lbs, this thing looks like it is a good bit heavier. Gent in photo is 6 ft. Tall. I need to know weight, very capable unit in decent condition but if I can’t move it….

Attachments

• 1C814CEC-2DCC-4FF2-9F93-17779B62A7D1.jpg
    1C814CEC-2DCC-4FF2-9F93-17779B62A7D1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 86453247-FBB1-48F5-841C-E1E448FE5398.jpg
    86453247-FBB1-48F5-841C-E1E448FE5398.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 87
A #3 plain pushes close to 10k lbs at like 9500 lbs.

If I wanted a machine, and had floor space, I wouldn't let weight stop me. Its all nuts and bolts. Yank the table and knee off if you have to. Move it in a few large pieces.

Got one similar . Has the same push button shifting mechanism . Was for sure over 10 and the center of mass being far out there didn’t help . If you don’t take where is it and how much . Pretty sure you are the one that has an OKK mill like mine and it weighs a little more than it

A #3 plain pushes close to 10k lbs at like 9500 lbs.

If I wanted a machine, and had floor space, I wouldn't let weight stop me. Its all nuts and bolts. Yank the table and knee off if you have to. Move it in a few large pieces.

Thx, is way different from #3 plain but I’m not sure what that means for weight. The horiz spindle has 15 hp motor and the vert spindle has separate 5 hp, then the knee has another motor…..

The way it’d be shipped I have to lift it off the truck in one piece, why we have to know weight.

Got one similar . Has the same push button shifting mechanism . Was for sure over 10 and the center of mass being far out there didn’t help . If you don’t take where is it and how much . Pretty sure you are the one that has an OKK mill like mine and it weighs a little more than it

Central VA, $3K with 20-25 50 taper arbors “usable after cleaning.” Has one arbor support not shown in pix, and comes with separate 220-440 transformer.

One inconvenience is that it is in a yard in a cramped location., but a truck got in there when it was delivered.

John,
If you really want it, you might consider renting a larger forklift for offloading it.
If it comes with 20-25 arbors as the only tooling, I don't know if it is really such a great deal. all you would ever need is a couple of straight ones. If, instead, it comes with 20-25 tool holders, depending hat they are, it could be interesting.

Paolo

John,
If you really want it, you might consider renting a larger forklift for offloading it.
If it comes with 20-25 arbors as the only tooling, I don't know if it is really such a great deal. all you would ever need is a couple of straight ones. If, instead, it comes with 20-25 tool holders, depending hat they are, it could be interesting.

Paolo

Thx PA. The add-on items are various tool holders, but we already have scads of those for several other nmtb50-spindle mills. So if I decide to do it I’ll have the rollback wrecker that’s agreed to fetch it, get weighed before and after loading. Then I’ll have a couple hours notice to get help from a local on-call company with big equipment, if my largest fork won’t handle it. I’ll look at manuals for other Cinci’s with the big dovetail ram on top to see how they recommend lifting. I don’t see any better way than putting a heavy- duty lifting strap/straps around the ram on either side of the column, but I’ll see if the manuals agree.

Slinging the overarm is fine. Sounds like you have more than one
forklift? Share the lift with a beam, drive the truck out, etc, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx PA. The add-on items are various tool holders, but we already have scads of those for several other nmtb50-spindle mills. So if I decide to do it I’ll have the rollback wrecker that’s agreed to fetch it, get weighed before and after loading. Then I’ll have a couple hours notice to get help from a local on-call company with big equipment, if my largest fork won’t handle it. I’ll look at manuals for other Cinci’s with the big dovetail ram on top to see how they recommend lifting. I don’t see any better way than putting a heavy- duty lifting strap/straps around the ram on either side of the column, but I’ll see if the manuals agree.

I once installed a Russian milling machine that was identical in design to that machine but slightly smaller. It could have been a copy. The machine weighed about 9/10,000 lbs. The lifting diagram showed one lift ( soft sling ) coming from under the knee and one lift ( soft sling again ), shorter obviously, from under the ram.

Regards Tyrone.

I once installed a Russian milling machine that was identical in design to that machine but slightly smaller. It could have been a copy. The machine weighed about 9/10,000 lbs. The lifting diagram showed one lift ( soft sling ) coming from under the knee and one lift ( soft sling again ), shorter obviously, under the ram.

Regards Tyrone.

Thx, sounds like a better way, will help keep it from tipping. We have a good selection of nylon slings.

Thx, sounds like a better way, will help keep it from tipping. We have a good selection of nylon slings.

I should have said the short sling was coming from the back of the ram behind the column. I wouldn’t be too keen on taking all that weight on the ram alone. It only has to go wrong once. We had overhead cranes, chain slings with shortening clutches, and all the soft slings you could wish for. Rigging wasn’t a problem. Just my 10 pence.

Regards Tyrone.

That's interesting, I never would have guessed it was that much. I have a similar #2 with the powered overarm and it only weighs maybe 4800lbs. I never would have expected a #3 to weigh over double that. I wonder what a #4 and 5 weigh then, sheesh!

Back