What's new
What's new

Welding gloves

Deniverz

Plastic
Hello guys,
what’s best welding glove out there for arc, I’ve got them heavy cheap red ones, can't feel a thing through them. Holding small parts.
Thanks for any suggestion.

All welding with electricity is arc welding...care to be more specific as to which process you are using?

Last edited:
Hello guys,
what’s best welding glove out there for arc, I’ve got them heavy cheap red ones, can't feel a thing through them. Holding small parts.
Thanks for any suggestion.

IMHO Miller makes some of the best gloves out there, both for mig/stick and tig welding. been using them for years after trying damn near everything out there.

If you're doing small parts i'll assume you're not doing a lot of welding on them. Try TIG gloves. They're thinner for better feel, but can't take as much heat.

Go to your local weld shop, or (gasp) Harbor freight and try some on. The gloves from hobo freight are pretty decent quality for the price.

As mentioned before, miller makes good stuff too.

I use Tig gloves for small parts when I am Mig welding. I don't have a specific brand I go get, just whatever is at the store that is cheaper and feels decent. They don't last a real long time, but thats ok.

Professional TIG Welding Gloves - XL

Cheap and they work.

Get a dozen pair.
8b3acea9b0ebe2209a7d599d7a9572ed.jpg

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

Sub 75 amps TIG welding I use Carolina TPG48 made in the USA. If they are out of stock I go with Tillman 24c. Above 75 amps and for MIG, stick welding I use MCR safety full grain deerskin Memphis big buck 4984.

If you have never used full grain(slit grain sucks bad) deerskin give them a go. I was shocked at how soft and long they last. Really like the less shrinkage when you make an oops and torch the leather a bit compared to goatskin. Took me a good amount of years to get gloves I was happy with and now that I have I'm sure they will discontinue or change something on me.

I usually keep about 4 different pairs of Tillmans around. Really thin deerskin ones for fine tig, medium drivers gloves for most work, and big fat heavy ones for when I am mig welding or stick welding at 300 plus amps.
Gloves are consumables. You use em up, burn em, the stitching falls out, and they get holes. They dont last forever, but the most expensive gloves are still cheaper than emergency room visits.
My welding supply store has been selling Tillmans for a good 40 years, and the reason why is because they are high quality. Not cheap.
you want cheap, you get what you pay for.

Take a pencil with you to the store and try on different leather gloves to see how easy it is to manipulate the pencil. That will give you a good idea of how much "feel" you will have.

Welding gloves must:

Provide some electrical insulation. Pretty much any dry leather glove will do that.

Provide UV protection against arc "sunburn". Again, pretty much any leather glove will work.

Provide heat protection while welding. This is where the thicker split leather gloves work the best. Oxy-acetylene is probably the type of welding most needing serious heat protection.​

I knew a guy who used to TIG weld with thin deerskin driving gloves. Because he was only welding for short duration they were good enough but wouldn't have provided enough heat protection for long periods.

There is a pretty good size well of options on welding gloves. Reminds me of end mills.

Different types of leather, different grades in each type of leather, different processing for each type, thumb style, thread type used, ect.

If picky you are going to spend a lot of time and money finding the ones you like the most. I have never came across any gloves that helped me weld better. That said I've tried some and just went nope can't weld right with these.

Same with welding helmets. Never used one that made my welds look better just some wouldn't let me make a weld the way I want.

When I got my first auto dark welding helmet,my eyes were always red and sore .....which never happened with the old Hiderok fixed glass one.........seems the auto dark takes a certain time to darken ,during which you get rays filtered only by the glass ......As to gloves,all ive ever used for welding and oxy are leather riggers gloves.........With high amp gouging ,with heavy gloves,you need a bucket of water to dunk your gloved hand in as soon as the heat starts to come thru,cause the hot glove burns very quickly,before you can pull it off.........Wet gloves isnt an issue ,they are wet with sweat or water ,no difference.

Back