What's new
What's new

Welding T 6061 aluminum 1/32" using TIG or MIG

Actually, I was thinking that brazing would be a better solution. What is different from "Brazing" and "Furnace Brazing"? It's been decades since I personally brazed or welded. Thanks.

After months of back and forth we have a design using 1/16" instead of 1/32" T6061. One of the posts suggested using Furnace Brazing to seal both top and bottom parts. Will the heat of the oven actually be 600 degrees Celsius? Won't such a high temperature weaken the T6061 aluminum? We did FEA based on "Full Strength" T6061. Has anyone found any information on how Furnace Brazing might weaken aluminum parts?
We have considered glue but are trying to stay with Brazing if it's not going to weaken the part. This valve has a very high cycle rate in and out. It also has a lot of deflection.

Attachments

• 20220522 VARTM_VALVE_AL_REV 01.pdf
    643.5 KB · Views: 2
Is it ok to ask people to give quotes inside the forum or do we have to do that on messaging? We are looking for someone to fabricate the 3 parts in the Houston area and also do the Furnace Brazing. What is the protocol? Is there some "Marketplace" or something like that where people can do business?

Is it ok to ask people to give quotes inside the forum or do we have to do that on messaging? We are looking for someone to fabricate the 3 parts in the Houston area and also do the Furnace Brazing. What is the protocol? Is there some "Marketplace" or something like that where people can do business?
Yes there is a "commerce" section.
I had to look to find it in this new format, if you go to the top of this thread you will see Forums>Manufacturing Today>General Click on the Manufacture Today and then scroll down a ways until you get to commerce section and look for something like Manufacturing Resource, It for asking for quotes.

I will try to put a link to it here:

out of curiosity: i do very littly welding but i have no problems joining a 0.5 mm ss tube with tig. is 0.8 mm aluminum more diffcult?

Back