What's new
What's new

Wells Index 645 Drawbar Details

John in OH

Aluminum
About 25 years ago I bought a Wells Index 645 "mill in a box" at a high school auction, s/n 645-12090. Since then, the mill has sat in storage but now it's time to put things together!! As I continue to dig through the parts of my Basket 645, it appears that the drawbar and associated top nuts/washers/bearings are missing. The Wells-Index Head Assembly drawing, 9124-A, shows the drawbar but doesn’t provide any part details except that the drawbar is 7/16”-20. I don't have any experience with a WI mill and I can't figure out what the drawbar top parts are as the drawing is short on details.

Can anyone provide dimensions or pics and/or descriptions of the major drawbar components for an R8 taper and the associated drawbar top hardware? Any thoughts or info will be appreciated.

2472-2 Drawbar (R-8 taper spindle; 7/16”-20 thd)
1133 Nut Draw Bar
1482 Washer-Draw Bar

Attachments

• Wells Index 645 drawbar excpt.jpg
    Wells Index 645 drawbar excpt.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 30
My thought is call Rick at Wells Index. He can help, and would even not mind if you bought some parts from him.

The top of the spindle on mine was damaged beyond repair. Had to face off that fine thread that was on there and put a small internal bevel on the spindle. Made a spacer/bushing with to brass thrust bearing along with a new draw bar. Been working fine for the last twenty years. Your mileage may vary greatly. I bet if Rick don't have parts in stock, he may sell you copies of the drawings where you can make your own. Ken

Back