What's new
What's new

Western electric rotary black telephone will not ring.

" Freedom to do what, propose and plan all kinds of massively destructive shit for why ?"

Fuck around and find out: the folks that invaded the capitol recently are most of them in jail now. Sometimes the loop does close.

I love this place. And I have an "old telephone" question, too, but I'll save it.
Jim who refers to J6 should perhaps check the dictionary, and actual video of the event, for suitability of the word, "invaded".

On free speech, it is easy for us to agree, at least in small groups, about stuff that we think should not be said. The hard thing is finding someone who can be trusted to make that decision for a whole society. That is why we cannot allow it.
Blowing up bridges? A very bad thing, unless it becomes a necessary part of defeating a very bad enemy, in which case one needs to know how..
Governments murdered more of their own people in the XXth century than were killed in all the wars Governments that practiced censorship (and outlawed private possession of weapons, but I digress). I conclude that government is the last entity to be trusted with control over information (or self- defense, of which bridge-blowing occasionally can be part) .

I do not need a book to teach me how to crush your skull with a 2x4. So prohibiting dissemination of such books will not save you. I do need the moral compass and self-restraint to choose not to do so. And knowing that I will be prosecuted if I do, helps.
Nobody could do harm to anyone if we placed them in tin cans at birth and soldered the lids on (lead-free solder, of course).

"Nobody could do harm to anyone if we placed them in tin cans at birth and soldered the lids on (lead-free solder, of course)."

I believe it was heinlan who stated that adolescent boys should be nailed inside a barrel and fed through the bung hole until the testoserone calmed down....

" I conclude that government is the last entity to be trusted with control over information..."

You are in good company as much of what you assert is enshrined in the first amendment. Basically it is imposssible to slander or libel a politician in the US, and prior restraint on publication is hardly ever upheld. Cf the pentagon papers event of the 70s.

This should work. Some are saying the VOIP box may not generate enough voltage but I have a Western Electric 2500 with a very similar ringer and it rings loud and clear! I am using a Obihai VOIP box with Google Voice.

I can open my 2500 and see how it is wired. I vaguely remember having to rewire it so that it would work correctly on the new network.

Love this project by the way, few appreciate it but I think it's so cool keeping these relics working.

A lot of phones in my house are this way. These are in daily use.

Attachments

• AE_candlestick_2.JPG
    AE_candlestick_2.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 0
  • leich_electric_2.JPG
    leich_electric_2.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 0
  • maggie_phone2.jpg
    maggie_phone2.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 0
Check the switch that is depressed when the hand set is "hung up" Actually the phone is always connected that switch allows the ring current be directed to the bell circuit. Years ago when people wanted a second line and found an old phone they could connect it to the line but back then you didn't own the phones. Multiple phone connection was detected by ring current, you would soon get a visit from the phone company! To prevent detection the bell circuit was disabled. You might have one of those phones.

Back