What's new
What's new

Whacheon spindle removal (1981 W400X1000 )

karlism

Plastic
How to remove the spindle from Whacheon W400X1000 (1981) ??

I have a Whacheon w400X1000 lathe from 1981 which is a copy of LeBlond Regal lathe. Mine has a cam lock spindle and I am trying to remove the spindle from the headstock to change the bearings. I have loosened everything from the spindle , the two lock nuts from the centre bearing which is a taper roller and the front lock nuts that hold the two gears on a keyway which press against the front bearing, which I can not see. I have tapped the centre bearing loose and the rear one has been removed but the front bearing does not want to budge. I am reluctant to hammer on the plug I have I have machined that is inserted in the hole of the spindle. The Regal lathe shows a L00 spindle with the a front collar that needs to be removed before the front taper roller bearing can be removed. Mine is not like that as my collar is behind the spindle and can only be removed after the spindle has been removed.

Am I missing something or I am not hammering hard enough or is that an additional item I need to remove before the spindle will come out ?

The diagram supplied by Whacheon USA a year ago shows a different spindle to mine. My lathe is the same as a Webb w400X100 sold in the USA.

Any help appreciated !!!!!

Thank You Michiganbuck for the video . I have pics of the bearings which I will attempt to attach to this message after I have compressed them

second pic - notice both the front gears and the centre bearing are free from their respective locking rings. The key that is between the front two gears ca not be removed

Attachments

• IMG20230119143206-min.jpg
    IMG20230119143206-min.jpg
    806.2 KB · Views: 11
Post some more pics, of the front of the spindle, and all around from different angles. Sometimes these are a bit of a tricky puzzle to disassemble, but we should be able to help you with a little more visibility.

I saw a nice grinder (colonial broach grinder) get the casting broken with trying to pound the spindle out.. not knowing how to pull the keepers. It was a simple task but guys with a stub 4x4 and a big hammer would not wait 5 minutes for me to bring the manual. The machine was eventually scrapped because when the new casting came in they had lost the motor.
* I'm not going to make any guesses about your lathe, but bet it is a simple thing not yet done.

(?) might the spanner nut be turned toward the chuck end so letting the gears go forward/apart to make a space for the key to travel forward toward the center and out?

(?) does a reasonable/safe dead-blow hammer whack make the spindle go fore and aft up to the key suggesting the key is the keeper? Perhaps feeling the key side clearance with a feeler gauge would tell.

Last edited:
Post some more pics, of the front of the spindle, and all around from different angles. Sometimes these are a bit of a tricky puzzle to disassemble, but we should be able to help you with a little more visibility.
Managed to free spindle I just needed to hit it harder with hammer !!!!!

I saw a nice grinder (colonial broach grinder) get the casting broken with trying to pound the spindle out.. not knowing how to pull the keepers. It was a simple task but guys with a stub 4x4 and a big hammer would not wait 5 minutes for me to bring the manual. The machine was eventually scrapped because when the new casting came in they had lost the motor.
* I'm not going to make any guesses about your lathe, but bet it is a simple thing not yet done.

(?) might the spanner nut be turned toward the chuck end so letting the gears go forward/apart to make a space for the key to travel forward toward the center and out?

(?) does a reasonable/safe dead-blow hammer whack make the spindle go fore and aft up to the key suggesting the key is the keeper? Perhaps feeling the key side clearance with a feeler gauge would tell.
Managed to free it just needed to hit it harder !!!!

Attachments

• IMG20230120104048-min.jpg
    IMG20230120104048-min.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 6
That’s what I figured but wasn’t going to advise it until I was sure. Good luck on your rebuild, this can be a challenging task.

Back