What's new
What's new

What are these Deckel grinders used for?

Those are single-lip cutter grinders for forming and sharpening D-bit cutters. I think some Asian clones of these can be accessorized to sharpen drills, but not sure about the original Deckel SO.

Georgie,

There is a lot of free info about Deckel SO & SOE grinders on this great website.

You may have to register to download manuals, but it is easy and it is an excellent resource.

They have pages for some more elaborate Deckel grinders:

Deckel S1 https://passion-usinages.forumgratuit.org/t3114-deckel-s1

Deckel S11 https://passion-usinages.forumgratuit.org/t7526-deckel-s11

The SO type would have probably been supplied along with a pantograph. The grinder is used to make D-bits for engraving work and the like. They are not intended for sharpening milling cutters, drills etc.

With some additional tooling (vise to fit on the tool slide) you can sharpen or reshape single point tools for the lathe.
I see lots of these for sale on e-bay. Think people purchase these then rarely use them, think for some its the only "Deckel" they will ever own, and that's OK... that is just my impression.
Cheers Ross

Owned an SO and i traded it for a small tool and cutter grinder....better for my needs, way more versatile.
Cheers Ross
Yup, here too. Have an Osborn (basically a Clarkson) all tooled up. Wouldn’t mind a Sterling drill grinder for the bigger drills, but a Deckel is way down the list.

Nice machines, I have an S0 and use it to make cutters for my Deckel GK21 pantograph. If you sell the Pear model, you might want to confim what collets it takes and if you have any to go with the machine. The Pear looks larger than the Deckels, it would be a bonus if the grinder took tooling larger than the S0. Note that the Ebay asking prices are about triple what these actually go for. Good luck, Dan.

Used to use these in a mold shop for making single-flute engraving or chamfering tools from carbide blanks. Worked well. I still have a few of the tools.

Not sure I’d seek one out but if someone gave me one I wouldn’t feel guilty.

Some swing grinders can slash-grind a drill point. that is making the primary a flat grind at the angle & clearance..and then making another slash/flat grind for the secondary...Or hand roll grinding the heal for the secondary.

Back