What's new
What's new

What do you know about Brown & Sharpe Calipers?

It that is the reason for the "ERROR" message, then it may also be possible that some dirt or a small chip has become lodged in the scale's reader. Perhaps you can carefully disassemble the slide and clean the reading elements inside it. The import calipers usually have some screws under the rear label.

If it does not work, there is nothing to lose by trying to repair it.

I GOT IT!

ERROR means that the electronics are not seeing the slide. In my case it was a lot of corrosion. If your battery contacts are buggered, you'll have to do a bit fashioning new ones and a bit of soldering. After that, you can clean it up and make it work again. If you're careful and lucky.

see: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AKq13Q5R0o6DNqVoMeJ6AxGFAgQXT24l?usp=sharing

Hope this helps.

OSD

I have two digital calipers with extra large screens. One is an eight inch/200mm Grizzly H8059 which has numbers that are 11mm high.

The other is a Reid 8" with numbers of a similar height. It also reads fractional inches in addition to the normal decimal inches and millimeters.

I do not believe either of them are presently available but both companies have other selections which may include larger displays.
EPAIII, you missed the part about one caliper having two screens back to back. The larger screens was just an added feature. Don't know how practical they are it's just that sometimes I have to reach into a machine or an awkward position and wish that the screen was on the back or had back to back screens.

t least you got 10 years out of them Twenty years ago, I purchased a new Starrett electronic caliper. it went into the top of my tool chest in a climate controlled shop. They were warranted for six months. A month past the warranty, they died. The dealer that they were purchased from said too bad, out of warranty. That is the last Starrett tool I will ever buy.
JH

I have an update! Unfortunately, I got the dreaded message again. I cleaned the contacts again, but the message came back in a couple days. This continued to happen. I suspect the elastomeric connector. After all, it is made out of rubber. So I ordered some from AliExpress ... $12! (caveat emptor! questionable goods and business practices about 10% of the time). After cutting the connector to the right length and height I tried it out and it seems better. Getting the height right is little tricky in that the bottom and top need to be parallel and planar. I'll let you know if it is still working.

OSD

ps, I have 9 left. If you interested in one, private message me.

SOME of the inexpensive, Chinese calipers have low battery life and SOME of them have longer battery life. I have examples of both. So far I have not been able to determine which is which before purchase.

wow, 6-10 times a year, I sometimes use my Mitutoyo 6-10 Times a minute. ill second cleaning the battery contacts, and as with watch batteries, don't touch the contacts or battery with fingers (especially if you have the rusty touch!) or wipe well if you do.

for me, I'd never want to go back to a caliper with a rack and pinion to get clogged with chips. my 25+ year old unit is STILL spot on to the thou when checked with a mic standard. I can't think without it in my hands, :D

P. S., id avoid the cheap ones, the batteries don't last, that's the real drawback of them. also be careful of buying Mitutoyo on line, there are a lot of counterfeits, buy from a reputable retailer.

Dealer, smearler! I would contact Starrett directly. They do repair their calipers and they may extend some slack on the warranty period.

t least you got 10 years out of them Twenty years ago, I purchased a new Starrett electronic caliper. it went into the top of my tool chest in a climate controlled shop. They were warranted for six months. A month past the warranty, they died. The dealer that they were purchased from said too bad, out of warranty. That is the last Starrett tool I will ever buy.
JH

I have an update! Unfortunately, I got the dreaded message again. I cleaned the contacts again, but the message came back in a couple days. This continued to happen. I suspect the elastomeric connector. After all, it is made out of rubber. So I ordered some from AliExpress ... $12! (caveat emptor! questionable goods and business practices about 10% of the time). After cutting the connector to the right length and height I tried it out and it seems better. Getting the height right is little tricky in that the bottom and top need to be parallel and planar. I'll let you know if it is still working.

OSD

ps, I have 9 left. If you interested in one, private message me.
Great News! Since putting in a new elastomeric connector I have not seen the dreaded error! :)

Back