What's new
What's new

What do you know about Brown & Sharpe Calipers?

They are not "wrong handed", you can measure twice as fast if you have one of each

Ohhhhh that makes sense. Good for multitasking.

Like when you're running a mill with one hand and a lathe with the other.

Sent from the ENIAC using Tapatalk

I saw a digital China caliper that had extra large screens; yep, two of them back to back. I was going to buy one but by the time I quit procrastinating the listing was gone and have not seen one like it since.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs?

Matt.

What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs floating in the ocean?

Bob.

Sent from somewhere inside your house using Tapatalk

:D
b974e5b0090fc9c3173f2747a1bd34d8.jpg
4b767b73fd0f8a7e6f4c988e47fc6f4d.jpg

Sent from somewhere inside your house using Tapatalk

I've got a nice pair of B&S twin cal digitals that are my daily use as a career machinist. I have gotten those anytime dual reading for my more occasional sizes like 4" and 12". Got a pair of the 6" for at home too. Honestly they are pretty good. The ID jaws are a couple thou off on mine but the outside measurements are spot on. They seem to be the only cheap brand I see that sells their own product and not something that is rebranded 20 different times. I've got their digital indicator as well which is a decent little thing. Face rotates and everything. Before I had a crappy $20 digital indicator that was sold exactly the same branded as Fowler for $70. I recommend the Anytime 6" dials to all our new guys who need to pick up a starter pair.

Hi Everyone,

First time poster here. I'll be honest, running a web search on questions regarding Brown & Sharpe calipers only yields this website so I figured I'd register to see if you can help.

I've owned a used Brown & Sharpe model 599-571-3 electronic caliper for a decade now. I keep it in my garage/shop and use it maybe 6-10 times a year for measuring bicycle related items. It is never abused and always put back into its case when I am finished. This year, I started getting an "ERROR" message whenever I started adjusting the slider. I tried everything to fix it including fresh batteries and tinkering with the buttons (no instruction manual so I have to figure them out as I go). Still, it gives me an error each time.
Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this model? I'm unable to find an instruction manual online so unless you have other sources, that ship may have sailed.

Any suggestions are appreciated! This is a fine caliper and one I'd like to see work again.

Thanks in advance.
I GOT IT!

ERROR means that the electronics are not seeing the slide. In my case it was a lot of corrosion. If your battery contacts are buggered, you'll have to do a bit fashioning new ones and a bit of soldering. After that, you can clean it up and make it work again. If you're careful and lucky.

see: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AKq13Q5R0o6DNqVoMeJ6AxGFAgQXT24l?usp=sharing

Hope this helps.

OSD

I GOT IT!
A+ for you on 1) figuring out the problem and 2) putting together the step by step. This can only help round out this post for the next person who is looking to solve this problem.
For me, however, I sold my old error calipers at a garage sale this summer (problem disclosed) and am planning on purchasing a set of Mitutoyo Absolute digital calipers.

Thanks for helping solve the problem!!

Speaking of B&S, I am selling some misc stuff for a retired friend who is going through chemo. He is a B&S guy and has this kit he bought years ago that has never been used. I am having trouble pricing it, I can find no comps. Opinions on asking price welcome. First time posting pics, hope it worked.DSC02000 (640x361).jpg

Get a dial caliper, I have never gotten an error message or had to replace a battery, not even on the set I've had for over 30 years.
That was may theory for many years, until age caught up with my eyes.

Now it's Mitutpyo absolute digital calipers, the IP67 coolant-proof version. And I use the inch / mm button all the time.

While the IP67 calipers are not harmed by coolant, they won't work until the coolant is washed out and the mechanism dried. Warm water followed by alcohol works well.

I also have a Harbor Freight digital caliper, for $16 on sale one day five or ten years ago. It does work, but but is too loose to do better than a few thousandths.

I GOT IT!

ERROR means that the electronics are not seeing the slide. In my case it was a lot of corrosion. If your battery contacts are buggered, you'll have to do a bit fashioning new ones and a bit of soldering. After that, you can clean it up and make it work again. If you're careful and lucky.

see: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AKq13Q5R0o6DNqVoMeJ6AxGFAgQXT24l?usp=sharing

Hope this helps.

OSD

I've never had this happen. I'd hazard that the battery leaked, and that's what caused all that corrosion. It's not as common with watch batteries as with say AA batteries, but is still does happen.

I have two digital calipers with extra large screens. One is an eight inch/200mm Grizzly H8059 which has numbers that are 11mm high.

The other is a Reid 8" with numbers of a similar height. It also reads fractional inches in addition to the normal decimal inches and millimeters.

I do not believe either of them are presently available but both companies have other selections which may include larger displays.

I saw a digital China caliper that had extra large screens; yep, two of them back to back. I was going to buy one but by the time I quit procrastinating the listing was gone and have not seen one like it since.

Back