What's new
What's new

what does x= and 16 stand for on the south bend 10 heavy

Hobby

Plastic
I have a south bend 10 heavy the serial # stamped at the end close to the tail stock are 13281 RKX 16 . I know it is the 13281 thousand machine made , and the R = 10inch , the K = quick change gear box, the X= special , and then the 16. ,, Does any one know what the '' Special means '' and also what the 16 stands for ! I can't seam to find out the info on the two thing in the # .

You'll probably have to order the serial number card to find out what the special part was. Maybe a photo of your lathe will point out to the people here a part or option that is "special". I believe that the "16" refers to a version number. It could be that the 16 was added by an owner sometime in its history. Schools often added to a lathe's number to help identify them to their students. Pics might show this.

now that you say that about the school I purchase this machine at a action and I was told it came from a school , the machine was not used much , ok thank I will order a card from grizzly

Well, your carriage covers up where one "special" will be announced. Is the bed "Flame Hardened" (one of the more common "specials")? If so, that is your special on a 1963 era lathe.

You can order the card, but in my opinion, it isn't worth the money ($25 for a .pdf of a crappy scan). Save your money and spend it on tools.

Visit here to view other lathe serial numbers close to yours. You'll see quite a lot of the number 16 appended to the serial numbers, so it means the version of the 10L lathe (I believe).

i am new. this is my first post so i really did want to start off in this forum not being an ass, but i have a heavy 10L also. according to slk001's last post in the "visit here" link hobby guys machine was mfg. in 1917 not 1963. mine is not even listed...does that mean my machine does not exist...? i only ask cuz' what did i buy? pics attached.
so i have been (as everyone else) looking for information that was lost long before microfiche and computers were invented and networking was two bored house women gossiping over a white picket fence and all the good folks who used these machines have been dead since ww2. so am i not reading the page correctly? one of the sn: around my number 18844 has a notes: of who bought that sn: machine... and somehow went from a 10 to a 16 size..
there is a catalog number in the pic of the thead gearbox and bed length. going to try a pencil rubbing on these for a maybe better clarity.
i am still a bit confused on these numbers and apparent age of the machines.
also slightly different question topic, was reading some other topics concerning the different models and the heavy 10 is different design than the others including the accessories. do these accessories include the sb quick change tool post compound and center steady? if so how does one really know what "fits" the bed and cross slide in these two cases if the sales listing is simply south bend 10 inch? clearly the current owners do not know or they will have it listed as such, maybe, probably (hopefully).

Attachments

• 20230304_150851.jpg
    20230304_150851.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230304_150938.jpg
    20230304_150938.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230304_151012.jpg
    20230304_151012.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230304_151020.jpg
    20230304_151020.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
They changed their serial number format which is why you confused a low number serial for a lathe built in 1917. Going off of the serial number registry, they were sequential numbers up until 1947, then after that the different models each had their own serial number system. They now included numbers and letter designations. Your lathe serial number isn't in the registry because you or previous owners haven't sent in the info to wswells to add it. It is a crowdsourced resource made up from people purchasing the serial card scan from grizzly, and posting it in the serial number thread. You can infer from the registry that your lathe was made in 1973.

As for accessories and 10k vs 10L, I think most won't fit the other without modification. Vertically the 10k and 10L center height are slightly different and horizontally the 10L is wider. For accessories, you need to identify it by photos or numbers that are cast into it, even when sellers list it for a certain model because people make mistakes.

Yes, the serial numbering system changed in 1947 - they started over at "1". A heavy 10 wasn't available until 1939 or so. The wide range gearbox (which you have) was introduced in the 1952-3 time frame. A "Flame Hardened" bed became an option in 1956 and standard in 1966 or so (don't hold me to the dates as being absolutely exact - more like good approximations). You have a toolroom version of the H10, with a model number CL8187 RB. Whoever you got your lathe from gave it a "paint can overhaul" (and a crappy overhaul at that) by evidence of the outside end of the spindle being painted, plus splatter inside the bore. It may be benign, but it makes you wonder what they covered up with the paint.

thank you to both for the info. i was, for a bit, very impressed that 100 year old cast iron was that clean but was suspicious that that was not the case. all this number information this is the first i have read about all the new changes. i guess i was not asking google the correct questions in the right way.
now the numbers thing aside was my lathe still made in usa in 1973 or did it get sold out back then also?

also yes if asked, i will have turned down the very bad paint job. there was over spray on the ways, but lucky paint does not adhere to machine oil. i am sure if something is covered up i will find it at the worst possible time too. maybe by then i will be in a position to restore it better than it is. accessories seem to be difficult to find. either they are just gone or folks are keeping them to themselves and not sharing. :)
ty again

what is the difference of a tool room lathe and a production lathe of the time? size? more features?
also as far as genuine heavy 10L (tool room in my case) accessories is there a list of sb serial numbers i should be looking for so i know what i am looking at?

one more thing in the third pic on the rear bed rail there is a cast in place upside down number looks as 5-24-F or possably another 5. does that mean anything to anyone? i will work on the catalog number on the thread plate tomorrow.

one more thing in the third pic on the rear bed rail there is a cast in place upside down number looks as 5-24-F or possably another 5. does that mean anything to anyone? i will work on the catalog number on the thread plate tomorrow.
SB used to cast the date the bed was actually cast on the inside of the bed. This might be a date code, a mold number, or even a part number. Ted (@SBLatheman) might have the answer for the number.

A toolroom lathe has a precision lead screw, a collet system was included, a taper attachment was factory installed, a thread dial indicator was factory installed and included a micrometer carriage stop.

Your serial number indicates a 1973 ship date.

Last edited:
o, i did not get a collet system, probably sold off or he did not get one. there was no thread dial indicator or holder, and no micrometer carriage stop. the guy did say he had a taper attachment for the lathe and a center steady but he was going to have to dig it out. he never called me back and i called him after a while to find he blocked my number. knowing what that date on the bed rail means probably is not important enough at this point in time to make the lathe perform any better. so i will let that one go.
at the very least now i know that i got the genuine item, not just an item someone guessed at or baited and switched just to eek out more money in the deal.
thank you again for the follow up and all the info.

Back