What's new
What's new

What is EDM wire made of?

snowshooze

Stainless
Hi Guys...
Silly question, I know.
But, if EDM wire is a common material, possibly I could use it after it went through for MIG welding wire?
Oh yes, I can think of lots of applications for .010 and .012" mig...
I might have to make my own feed rollers and maybe crush the contact tip down a bit , but if you are welding light sheet metal, it may be something.
I envision miles of EDM wire in my future.
I do see some of it has a zinc coating.That is incompatible.
Go ahead, tell me I am crazy.
Hey, it's cool.
Thanks Guys!
Mark

Last edited:
Not likely useable for MIG.

EDM wire is usually brass - could you braze with it? Maybe, but after coming out the poop chute it's kinda porous and it oxidizes/falls apart quickly.

There are those fancy shmancy "continuous" wire edms (used for mainly as precision cutoff saws) that use something like a NiChrome? Inconel? something? wire on a continuous loop.

EDM wire does get a pretty good scrap price, though :smoking:

Brass wire is typically 60% copper, 40% zinc.

I don't really bother with coated wires since it typically only speeds up the first pass, and everything I run is 3-4 passes, but coated wires are going to be something like 80% copper, 20% zinc, with additional zinc in the coating.

Not suitable for MIG.

EDM wire is usually brass - could you braze with it? Maybe, but after coming out the poop chute it's kinda porous and it oxidizes/falls apart quickly.

There are those fancy shmancy "continuous" wire edms (used for mainly as precision cutoff saws) that use something like a NiChrome? Inconel? something? wire on a continuous loop.

Thanks!
Mark

Brass wire is typically 60% copper, 40% zinc.

I don't really bother with coated wires since it typically only speeds up the first pass, and everything I run is 3-4 passes, but coated wires are going to be something like 80% copper, 20% zinc, with additional zinc in the coating.

Not suitable for MIG.
Thanks Orange!
You use EDM???
I need your products...
Mark

The continuous wire machines use moly b denum

Not a silly question at all! EDM wire is usually made from brass or zinc-coated, which isn't ideal for MIG welding due to different melting points and properties. Your idea to repurpose EDM wire for fine MIG welding is creative, though it might bring some challenges with strength and weld quality.

If you decide to experiment, adjusting your tools like custom feed rollers and modifying the contact tip will be crucial. Just be mindful of how the wire's properties might affect your welding.

For more on EDM wire and its uses, you can check out this article. It might give you more insights into whether this could work or if it’s better to stick with traditional materials.

Snowshooze,

As Bajafire says: the used wire is fairly "thrashed" upon coming out the bottom side of the cut. Look at some under a microscope and I suspect you won't want to use it for MIG welding.

On my Agie, I would use coated copper wire once in a while. It was crazy expensive, but the increase in cutting speed was incredible (just about double the cutting speed of coated brass wire), so it was worth using on certain jobs.

I sold all my used wire to a scrap guy that would come by my shop about once a month.

PM

Hi Guys...
Silly question, I know.
But, if EDM wire is a common material, possibly I could use it after it went through for MIG welding wire?
Oh yes, I can think of lots of applications for .010 and .012" mig...
I might have to make my own feed rollers and maybe crush the contact tip down a bit , but if you are welding light sheet metal, it may be something.
I envision miles of EDM wire in my future.
I do see some of it has a zinc coating.That is incompatible.
Go ahead, tell me I am crazy.
Hey, it's cool.
Thanks Guys!
Mark
In China, more EDM is the use of fast-moving molybdenum wire reciprocating cycle, such a low cost, although the processing accuracy will not be very high, but enough to use in most structural parts.
Even if the copper wire used in the slow-moving wire can not be used as welding material, because its diameter is too small, you need a small enough current to use it, I think most TIG welders are difficult to adjust such a small and stable current for welding, in addition, such a small diameter welding material needs enough wire feeding speed to form enough welding material accumulation. It seems that this too is a very solved problem

Back