What's new
What's new

What is the most enjoyable field of CNC to you?

Like so many have expressed, the big thrill for me too is being given a complex problem, sorting out a workable plan and seeing it come together.
I love having something in my hand when I'm done and being able to stick out my tits a bit as I look it over and chant (softly) to myself...."I've still got it".
Sometimes I even spend a half hour or so just looking at my stuff under the microscope and pretending I'm doing a quality inspection when in reality I'm just stroking myself a bit.

My Lovely Wife thinks I'm "not quite right in the head" but she seems to me more than just OK with that, so all is good.

This trade has something that just pulls me in...many of you know I made a dumb(ish) detour into dentistry for close to a decade but I missed this so much I gave up the money and the status just so I could play in a shop again.
It was the right decision for me...others remain convinced I was and still am, nuts.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
You don't miss the beautiful smell of anerobic bacteria in the morning :D Ahhhh

Prototype CNC work all day long...

Looking at problem with a an automation cell and coming up with an idea, then quickly drawing up a remedy that will utilize something off of the stock shelf. Then an hour later handing a machine builder the answer to meeting his deadline.

Like so many have expressed, the big thrill for me too is being given a complex problem, sorting out a workable plan and seeing it come together.
I love having something in my hand when I'm done and being able to stick out my tits a bit as I look it over and chant (softly) to myself...."I've still got it".
Sometimes I even spend a half hour or so just looking at my stuff under the microscope and pretending I'm doing a quality inspection when in reality I'm just stroking myself a bit.

My Lovely Wife thinks I'm "not quite right in the head" but she seems to me more than just OK with that, so all is good.

This trade has something that just pulls me in...many of you know I made a dumb(ish) detour into dentistry for close to a decade but I missed this so much I gave up the money and the status just so I could play in a shop again.
It was the right decision for me...others remain convinced I was and still am, nuts.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
I have to admit, with the background, I do catch myself for hours at a time sometimes watching root canals and restorations.
Sometimes leaving comments on shotty work, people creating food traps, perio pockets, horrendous anatomies, or just prep tips .... 🤣

Hi Houdini:
You wrote:
"You don't miss the beautiful smell of anerobic bacteria in the morning :D Ahhhh"

EWWW, yeah, that sure brings back memories.
Double bonus when you have to muck out the swamp first before you can even see what's in there.

There are careers you do for money.
There are careers you do for love.

I think I've finally decided which is which for me.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

What I really like about CNC is that there are so many different skills to master.

So I wanted to hear from you guys, what is the most enjoyable type of CNC and what makes it so satisfying to you?
I know no other way. I've been machining parts since I ran a drill press at age 6.
I love what I do. I love to make things. Programming. Set up. Production. Metrology. CAD. CAM. Macros.
When I worked for Doosan/DN the most rewarding part was showing other folk how to make money with their new machines, or how to make even more money by running them better.
Now that I'm on my own, I've taken that huge library of knowledge and have it make money for me. Just like dad did.

Old machines. New machines. Doesn't matter. I'm just as happy on a 40 year old Okuma OSP as I am on a brand new Fanuc Series 30.

There is no greater satisfaction than handing a part to a customer and have him admire the machine work.

Last edited:
Hi BajaFire:
You wrote:
"Are you guys talking about teeth and gums or coolant sumps?"

Both...they're about the same... just one is smaller than the other and you have to stick your mitts right into it and your face right up to it to do what you need to do.
It also wiggles and screams and spits...lots of fun.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
the fuck kinda coolant sumps yall deal with? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
I may or may not be known to sing to my parts at this particular time of admiration. If I do it is definitely Prince or Marvin Gaye

Back