What's new
What's new

What is the worst and coolest machine tool name ever ?

• Thread starter D. Thomas
  • Start date
  • Replies 264
  • Views 38,734
The best I've seen is "Thor".:D I restored an old aluminum case power drill of their's that looks like a ray gun from a 50's space comic or something. Also got ahold of a bench grinder of there's that I'm hoping to restore.

Worst? It's not nesisarily machine related but the other day I bought some imitation crab meat at the store, "All American" brand..... made in china.

Pardon me for skipping from 1st, to last pages, and if has been mentioned already, I apologized, but I submit YAM for the worst. C'mon man, african sweet potato to machine tool?

The best I've seen is "Thor".:D I restored an old aluminum case power drill of their's that looks like a ray gun from a 50's space comic or something.

Beat me to it. I put a set of brushes in a Thor drill motor for my neighbor; that thing was a beast. The size of a saw-zall with a 1" hex shank adapter with a flat screwdriver bit in it. Geared down to about 8 rpm, no idea what you would do with the thing.

Every time I use my Johnson saw I think about what a friend said one day.

I had my brother sawing some parts for me and a friend stopped by and said to me "Its kinda creepy that you let your brother touch your Johnson"

I still laugh about that. Someday I will have to find a woman to use my Johnson.

Josh

The name "Mitutoyo" of the measuring tools translates into "Three Abundance". This is explained in information packed with the tools. It has significance to the Japanese. We always referred to Mitutoyo micrometers as Three Abundance micrometers. We thought it was humorous, I guess you had to be there. I think a good name for a machine tool would be Smegma.

Lord Byron

Machine Names from my past.

One of my all time favorites...Warney & Swasey..Used to sing "swasey days are here again" while doing runs of 50k oil pump blanks...

Others. Reed & Prentice, Bardons and Oliver, Graves, Colchester, Okuma, Mori Seki, Of course Bridgeport, Acra (I had a new 10x54 mill at my homeshop), Nardini, Monarch, Kerner & Treker, Atlas, Ammco, Acer, Enco, Chevalier, and my own design of industrial belt sander...Properly named the Zipper slapper...self explainitory. When I Die I want to reincarnate as a Machining center.

Absolutely the worst name for machine is Masturn :D

I remember some cheapo chinese morse taper reducer of "Change Soon" brand.
I've also seen "Young Sin" tooling...
And i'm not kidding you!

Saw this today and thought of this thread- wow, Don started it 22 years ago!

Not a machine, but a tool sharpening service. I guess things get lost in translation, but I wouldn't want "dul" anywhere near my name if I sharpened cutters (looks like they do good work though).

Attachments

• dulco.jpg
    dulco.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 10
One best ever Od grinder for few up and one ups is the brown & Sharpe 13 grinder. IMHO.
7&8" wheels made it inexpensive to keep a ton of special wheels.
Big wheel column protractor so angles are quick and easy.
Plus it is a Tc grinder..

Last edited:
Not machine tool related but there was a dealer of Big Green Egg smokers and bbqs near me. The tag line on their sign said "Are you ready to get hungry?" I took this to mean they were so poorly made that I would starve to death trying to cook something on them.

I have always loved the Schwing concrete pumps. The name reminds me of the Mike Myers stick on Saturday Night Live.

Be great if they merged with Fosdick.

Burr beaver has to be up there in the stupid categories. Unless your talking about a chick in the deburr department. Whoops.

The Burr King thread in the classified section got me to thinking about silly names in the machine tool trade, and then to thinking about what are the better names. My vote for the stupidest name ever is Osama... with runner up Beaver/Pal, then Grizzly, and then Jet.

As to "proper" machine tool company names guess I'm partial to city or company founder names...my choice for the best name ever is Cincinnati Milacron. Brown and Sharpe, Starrett, Moore...good names. Maho is nice too (Deckel kinda iffy) Ironically Cincinnati dropped the Milacron moniker recently
frown.gif

Well aware of the regional aspects to this of course. Schaublin, Abene, and Aciera for instace sound a bit "uncomfortable" to me, but probably sound quite respectable to most Europeans. And of course Osama probably sounds as respectable as Bridgeport to somebody somewhere
smile.gif
American Hustler. NC lathe from the 70’s. I took that name plate before it went to the scrapyard and it’s up on eBay for a lot more money than the machine was worth at its end….

I am always a fan of juvenile humor, hence why when I needed a big adjustable wrench I imported one from King Dick.

Do you use Big Ass Fans?

Absolutely the worst name for machine is Masturn :D

I remember some cheapo chinese morse taper reducer of "Change Soon" brand.
I've also seen "Young Sin" tooling...
And i'm not kidding you!
"Rong Fu" AKA JET mini mill. Translated means "wrong brand, you fool"! :D

Back