What's new
What's new

What is this lathe specialized for?

Kind of cute to me.:) Lost some of it's stuff on the front side. Missing the tail stock. Looks like the tail stock rode on the back way of the lathe with the way the carriage is built. Kind of wonder if this lathe was set up for some kind of threading or relieving operation?

I'd sure wouldn't want to get wrapped up in those jaws!!!

What's that lathe in the back ground?

It seems to be missing a "lot of stuff" on the slide - possibly formerly including a turret? or other types of tooling for specialize tasks such as oil ring grooving. In the USA it would fall into machines often referred to as "chuckers" that machine parts in sequence that can be held in a chuck or collet, without a tailstock, usually with a turret or purpose designed special tooling. (google Hardinge HC e.g.)

Here's what might be a more modern version:

The company is still in business and maybe even thriving. Maybe someone there would comment?

smt

This particular one does look like a relieving setup tho ... the N in the model name might mean something. Goofy tailstock but def cute. Here's one in the US

Lucky I'm old, if it turns out to be relieving then I'd want it. Always wanted to make my own cutters ...

I worked in a mould shop that had a couple large Droop & Rein duplicating mills. We used them for roughing big mould inserts. Originally they ran tracers, but they were converted to NC
Very heavy duty and when new, would have been really good machines. Ours were pretty worn, and mostly got used for rough work
Perhaps this is a duplicating lathe?

First place I worked at, we had a shop full of old Leblond gun barrel drill machines, 4GSR's, that were converted to trepanning machines. We referred to them as Number 1, 2, 3. At the time I left there, they were up to No. 8. That's how they referred to the machines, never by name.

I had a friend by the name of Norman who did NOT like Van Norman mills, essentially because the offset Y axis lead screw offended his sense of balance. (Yeah, in theory the constant direction reversals would twist the saddle sideways one direction and then the other. Dunno if that was a real world problem) Anyway, for him the mills were always Van Fred's.

Back