What's new
What's new

What is you shop's overhead increase in the last year?

Are you George Santos? Because you sound just as factual and honest as that man.

And to complement Ox, it's "country's history".
Who is George Santos? Mr. Googlepants says he denies being a drag queen. I'm confused as to what drag queens have to do with Biden and US monetary policy? Care to elaborate? I don't really follow drag queens and I don't understand why your asking if I am him? My name is not George Santos, so sorry whatever joke your trying to make is lost on me.

Look at the US monetary policy in the last 100 years, look at the M2 money supply, and please explain to me how 18 past presidents have had no effect, but only trump is the arsonist. What specifically makes him the arsonist? What makes Biden the firefighter? Sure seems to me based on congressional spending and our managed economy that the blame lays well before Trump.

I was NOT ribbing about an apostrophe. (which I prolly kan't even spell, and likely use way too often myself)

More the fact that when FDR was in the Whitehouse, we sorta had two Roosevelt's working the job at the same time.
I'm not sure if that was a bad thing really? IDK?

However, I am REALLY impressed that you know your Bill Fry's lyrics!
Awfully young and on the wrong side of the Mississippi to be aware of that!

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

That's funny you say that about the Roosevelts, very true, I didn't catch your joke! I hadn't intended that, wish I had been smart enough to think of that!

I grew up listening to Chet Atkins and CW McCall (almost no one knows who Bill Fry is!) on vinyl! I could almost sing Johnny Cash before I could talk (and my mom would say I sang just as good as cash, ie terrible in her opinion). In fact, when I was a teenager I used a record recorder (I have no idea the correct name) that my grandmother had to record Chet Atkins and CW McCall records on to CD, complete with pops, clicks, and white noise. Woody Guthrie, Phil Ochs, and many more.... while I don't always agree with their message, or oddly agree with many parts and not others, or agree for different reasons, I grew up knowing more of the "oldies" than the music of my generation.

Look at the US monetary policy in the last 100 years, look at the M2 money supply, and please explain to me how 18 past presidents have had no effect, but only trump is the arsonist. What specifically makes him the arsonist? What makes Biden the firefighter? Sure seems to me based on congressional spending and our managed economy that the blame lays well before Trump.
Yup, tell me all about how when the repubs blow up the Capitol everything will be fixed. Just like how the US debt was eliminated under trump:

Yeah, you guys are fiscal geniuses. And just like Santos, you're as honest as ol' Abe, right? Haw...

That's funny you say that about the Roosevelts, very true, I didn't catch your joke! I hadn't intended that, wish I had been smart enough to think of that!

I grew up listening to Chet Atkins and CW McCall (almost no one knows who Bill Fry is!) on vinyl! I could almost sing Johnny Cash before I could talk (and my mom would say I sang just as good as cash, ie terrible in her opinion). In fact, when I was a teenager I used a record recorder (I have no idea the correct name) that my grandmother had to record Chet Atkins and CW McCall records on to CD, complete with pops, clicks, and white noise. Woody Guthrie, Phil Ochs, and many more.... while I don't always agree with their message, or oddly agree with many parts and not others, or agree for different reasons, I grew up knowing more of the "oldies" than the music of my generation.

[tangent]
I have a chum that is in process of having a house (log cabin?) built down by Walsonburg.
(will stop by there in a few days)
(I have no clue why anyone would want to be there?)

I told him once that there's a bunch of wild women in Walsonburg. They make love like a buffalo herd.
(wish I knew one)

[/tangent]

Yeah, I have one of those turntables too.
Never took time to figger it all out.

I have much nicer ones in my casket.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Yup, tell me all about how when the repubs blow up the Capitol everything will be fixed. Just like how the US debt was eliminated under trump:

Yeah, you guys are fiscal geniuses. And just like Santos, you're as honest as ol' Abe, right? Haw...
The republicans are going to blow up the capital? Really... I'll have to get a seat in WV for that show. Do you have any information about when? That would be a heck of a 4th show.....

When did I claim that Trump eliminated the US debt? Who are are you even having an argument with? Are you having some disassociated argument because it doesn't seem like I am actually the one you are arguing with? We have over 31T in debt, which did not magically appear since 2022! Instead of posting a moronic source like the Washington Post why don't you post a legitimate source like:
or
or in even more detail

If you want to dive deeper than that you and I can.... While the US government is rife with dishonesty, hopefully you will take those as "factual and honest". I really don't understand what it is you are basing my honesty on as I can't think of anything that I have posted here or elsewhere that hasn't been backed up with data. Of course, you haven't presented a single factual piece of information so it may be that you can't present a rational argument and just use insults to deflect any necessity to do so.

You keep referring to "you guys" as if I am here with the lollipop gang? Last I checked no one else is here making any argument in my favor? Last I checked it is just you and I. So whoever the voices are that you are arguing with is either in your head, or an argument you had with someone else in the past? Are you so obtuse that you are incapable or reading what I wrote you need to assign someone else's arguments in their place, or do the schizoid voices in your head prevent you from doing that? Did you miss what I posted before? It's clear you didn't read it.

There is no one else here but me.

Let me say that again to clarify. There is no one else here but me.

There is no "you guys". Just me, trying to understand your rambling ineffectual posts.

It's just you. And only you. Who contacted me with a stupid image. Because on the Internet, any damn tool can spew whatever the hell he wants.

Keep talking to yourself, I've more useful ways of spending my time

No presented facts.

No ability to present an argument.

Can only insult in response.

I think you've proved my point, I'm good with that. Take care.

You forgot Roy Clark. IMHO one of the greatest guitar players of all time.

I mean, @ 2:18 in the vid, people don't really think Les Claypool originated the slap, do they? (this from a pretty hard-core metal-head, LOL)

You forgot Roy Clark. IMHO one of the greatest guitar players of all time.

I mean, @ 2:18 in the vid, people don't really think Les Claypool originated the slap, do they? (this from a pretty hard-core metal-head, LOL)
Every good guitar player I’ve run across played Malagueña in some fashion or other, here’s another one (gets cool when he stops picking near the end).

Good luck,
Matt

The republicans are going to blow up the capital? Really... I'll have to get a seat in WV for that show. Do you have any information about when? That would be a heck of a 4th show.....

When did I claim that Trump eliminated the US debt? Who are are you even having an argument with? Are you having some disassociated argument because it doesn't seem like I am actually the one you are arguing with? We have over 31T in debt, which did not magically appear since 2022! Instead of posting a moronic source like the Washington Post why don't you post a legitimate source like:
or
or in even more detail

If you want to dive deeper than that you and I can.... While the US government is rife with dishonesty, hopefully you will take those as "factual and honest". I really don't understand what it is you are basing my honesty on as I can't think of anything that I have posted here or elsewhere that hasn't been backed up with data. Of course, you haven't presented a single factual piece of information so it may be that you can't present a rational argument and just use insults to deflect any necessity to do so.

You keep referring to "you guys" as if I am here with the lollipop gang? Last I checked no one else is here making any argument in my favor? Last I checked it is just you and I. So whoever the voices are that you are arguing with is either in your head, or an argument you had with someone else in the past? Are you so obtuse that you are incapable or reading what I wrote you need to assign someone else's arguments in their place, or do the schizoid voices in your head prevent you from doing that? Did you miss what I posted before? It's clear you didn't read it.

There is no one else here but me.

Let me say that again to clarify. There is no one else here but me.

There is no "you guys". Just me, trying to understand your rambling ineffectual posts.

I'm with you brother. Some people are just so blinded by hate that it overrides their common sense (if they have enough to mention).
The big picture goes far beyond the "big guy". And dates way back. Almost 50 years to be exact.
As of yet there have only been two hiccups. Regardless, times up. Hit the scramble button.

Mechanics whine that customers scoff at their shop rate; "we have to buy expensive tools"... "you are paying for our knowledge".

Mmmkay. Well, a simple 1-2 man machine shop can easily rack up $500,000 in tools and equipment, 3x the monthly overhead costs and much greater risk with all their customers running on net 30. It also requires greater skill and knowledge to be a machinist than a mechanic... I know because I do both.

A wheel bearing on a 20xx chevy Silverado is the same job every time. So why is that job worth $100/hr and my machine shop isn't?

I'm not necessarily complaining. I hate working on vehicles and I wouldn't want to do it for a living. Like @cyanidekid pointed out though; making the comparison of one industry to another can have value.

Auto shops have a ton of overhead, as everything has went subscription based information.
IE just for factory service data on one site is $180/ month just to find information, then shop insurance can easily be $3000 a month, plus scan tools upgrades every year at $1200, then any factory scan tools are $4000-5000 for each, then access to gm, ford and Chrysler etc can be $200 per month each. so overhead can easily be 5000 a month, divide by 20 days avg, is $250 a day in costs before any consumables or hydro.
I can see both sides, mechanics can have easily a couple hundred grand in equipment also. Just all depends how big they are, and how much work they can do like any shop. then factoring in wear and tear for replacement of either of said machines be it $4000-10000 hoists and tire machines or end mills and ball screws.

The main reason(my opinion) a mechanic shop, plumber, electrician, HVAC tech....Can charge more than a machine shop is because none of that work can be outsourced to China!
The second reason is, the "true value of the service", Everyone, is a large demographic, and the demographic that needs mechanics, plumbers, electricians, HVAC... is everyone needs them, the value of their service is high,
Usually if any of these needed services has a problem or issue you need it fixed quickly, now!, You can see where this value is higher and a larger demographic than a machine shop.
And then I can only assume on this, but there are industries that have chopped their own foot off by competing with others by lowering their prices to undercut others for work, lowering the value of that service, from reading this web sites post it sounds like machine shops have done exactly this.
I have some friends from Vietnam who are business men, they said that it happens a lot in Vietnam, and that the Vietnamese had ruined the nail salon industry in the US by competing with price instead of some other means, skill, offering, specialty....
Just my 2 cents.

You would have to pay me good to be a plumber, and maybe HVAC guy.
(maybe not so much on the electrician side? IDK...)

Plumbers git into some nasty situations to begin with. Nasty crawl spaces, full of dead vermin, cobwebs, cat Schidt, and water/mud....

Then there are just so many houses that are kept so poorly that you have to go back outside routinely to git fresh air, while 4 cats follow you outside (each time).

Drove through a semi local small town a cpl summers ago, with winders down, and we got a snort of a cat house. Not the one with the red light, but the one with no mice. How bad does it need to be when you can smell it from driving down the street?

No, I think that on average, those guys are earning their $.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Utilities are double. Aluminum about 50% higher. Steel, carbide, coolant, everything higher. Diesel in my state still about $5 a gallon. But remember. The child sniffer says it is "transitory"

Utilities are double. Aluminum about 50% higher. Steel, carbide, coolant, everything higher. Diesel in my state still about $5 a gallon. But remember. The child sniffer says it is "transitory"
Yea. My biz ins company tried to double my premium. We are still going back & forth to find common ground.
But, I'm damn sure not paying $10k/yr to insure the contents of this building when there is no debt and nobody to force me to carry liability on the assets.
As a matter of fact, I'm not paying one penny more than 10% over last years premium. And, that is me being generous.

I sat down the other day and figured out what having one part-time guy was actually gonna cost me in 2023. Holy shitballs!
Workman's comp, payroll service, 50% of his health ins, his hourly pay, bonuses (I still have that darn conscience, damn-it!).
I stand to profit far better if I just refuse a few PITA jobs and actually do throttle down to just me.

Same here .....my broker says everyone has to pay flood premium........I says I live on a mountain top........he says if I actually was at risk of flood ,the premium would be 100x more .........Flood premium is just to make the insurers profitable again.........I can rest easy knowing that.

Back