What's new
What's new

What strategy do you think is best for this feature?

Actually, I will back up the hone idea.

I'm guessing that this would lessen your need for pockets by 1, as you can likely get that hole prepped with whatever else you have in there, and holding size in the hone would be quick and easy.

I really like that plan - especially with your single turret.

-------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

And as a manufacturer when I can avoid turning a 30 second job into a pain in the ass waste of time and a likely higher scrap rate, and still offer the customer a perfectly fine working part at a cheaper price, I try to do that.

I guess my question is where do you draw the line? Everything can be questioned. I do ALWAYS question obvious mistakes, omissions, or ambiguities. Often I'm like second or third tier, which is not uncommon for job shops. So questions are all but impossible.

I've had customers that were lacking in tech savvy, and they knew it. They welcomed any and all questions. Other customers were not tech savvy, but were arrogant, and wanted no questions whatever. Even if I saw a mistake, I made the parts. Once incorrectly, and once more after they fixed the error. Others that were very savvy in every way, very pro, and seldom needed any polling.

As I said, it does depend on the customer. The OP is not a job shop, so there is a different dynamic. I just don't understand second guessing the usually unappetizing facets of a job. Unless you do it at quotation time.

Just my philosophy.

Yes, I have used boring heads on my live tools before. I prefer D'Andrea over all others, and their smaller modular shank sizes fit in a collet no problem. Should be no problem for that size of a hole in an ER25/32.

Your turret/tool has to be aligned perfectly coaxial to X or you will bore an oval hole, not normally an issue but when you only have a couple of tenths either way it matters.

You should have no problems interpolating the Ø1.262".

However, it seems to me that your turret is going to be really crowded by the time you have enough live tools in there to finish that part...
I have one part that is 19 tools. Turret looks like a porcupine.

Last year the owners were talking about a twin turret machine (Doosan TT), but in the end they got another 2600SY.

I don't have too many parts that are 15+ tools, but I still hope they get a twin turret machine soon.

I guess my question is where do you draw the line? Everything can be questioned. I do ALWAYS question obvious mistakes, omissions, or ambiguities. Often I'm like second or third tier, which is not uncommon for job shops. So questions are all but impossible.

I've had customers that were lacking in tech savvy, and they knew it. They welcomed any and all questions. Other customers were not tech savvy, but were arrogant, and wanted no questions whatever. Even if I saw a mistake, I made the parts. Once incorrectly, and once more after they fixed the error. Others that were very savvy in every way, very pro, and seldom needed any polling.

As I said, it does depend on the customer. The OP is not a job shop, so there is a different dynamic. I just don't understand second guessing the usually unappetizing facets of a job. Unless you do it at quotation time.

Just my philosophy.

I draw the line depending on how useful I can be to somebody. I limit contacting them about MY problems, instead I only try to contact regarding ways where I can make them money.

Obviously your situation is different, but for me, the product manager, production supervisor, engineers are all open to feedback when it can make the company more $$$ because then it makes them look good.

Last edited:
I have one part that is 19 tools. Turret looks like a porcupine.

Last year the owners were talking about a twin turret machine (Doosan TT), but in the end they got another 2600SY.

I don't have too many parts that are 15+ tools, but I still hope they get a twin turret machine soon.
we recently got a DN Puma TT2100SYYB (twin turret/dual spindle) and my buddy who programs and operates it said it is quite the pain in the ass LOL
Lots of places to put stuff but it gets tiiiiight real quick.
Also our support for the machine has been laughable, AE's don't know shit about it, seems like it's not a very popular configuration.

Back