What's new
What's new

What Supplier Nonsense are You Dealing With Today?

I have used AFI quite a bit for tooling since they carry the YG-1 endmills I like. Then there site gets taken down. 2 times. Finally came back up I went to log into my account to order some drills and endmills and my account no longer exists. I had to remake it. Then it took 2 weeks to get the email saying I am approved. Screw that I went to Suncoast and already have my drills and endmills I needed along with some of my abrasives.

I have used AFI quite a bit for tooling since they carry the YG-1 endmills I like. Then there site gets taken down. 2 times. Finally came back up I went to log into my account to order some drills and endmills and my account no longer exists. I had to remake it. Then it took 2 weeks to get the email saying I am approved. Screw that I went to Suncoast and already have my drills and endmills I needed along with some of my abrasives.
Ever since they started a band it all went down hill is what your say'n :D

Talking to a local specialty supplier while trying to buy some grating planks:

Supplier: That will be 1500 dollars would you like to place that order now?

Me: I am going to have to call around a bit.

S: Why?

Me: Cause even McMaster Carr is 60% of your price.

S: Hmm let me quickly revise that quote it is now 750 dollars.

Me: :angry:

I get trying to make a buck but 100% profit on top of a price you are still making money on is just trying to stick it in and break it off hoping someone doesn't know better.

Talking to a local specialty supplier while trying to buy some grating planks:

Supplier: That will be 1500 dollars would you like to place that order now?

Me: I am going to have to call around a bit.

S: Why?

Me: Cause even McMaster Carr is 60% of your price.

S: Hmm let me quickly revise that quote it is now 750 dollars.

Me: :angry:

I get trying to make a buck but 100% profit on top of a price you are still making money on is just trying to stick it in and break it off hoping someone doesn't know better.
Yep, as I keep saying, this sort of behaviour destroys long-term business relationships. Once you know they'll try to do it to you once, all trust is gone. Unfortunately it seems that this sort of short-term half-smart 'business practice' has become common in the USA.

PDW

Does the second one happen to start with an 'Aa' and have a 'co' in it's name?

If so I use said supplier for most of my alu bar, there is one person in the office who I always try to get to sort my orders out as she basically always gets it right but otherwise it's generally the wrong grade delivered in the wrong quantity at the wrong time.
I know we all love to complain but I placed an order with the above supplier last week and I got the right material in the right quantity at the right time, lovely! No sticker shock on the alu bar either which is a bonus. Hopefully they've turned out some of the iffy staff and have better people in the office now, the couple of people who dealt with the order seemed very on the ball.

I know we all love to complain but I placed an order with the above supplier last week and I got the right material in the right quantity at the right time, lovely! No sticker shock on the alu bar either which is a bonus. Hopefully they've turned out some of the iffy staff and have better people in the office now, the couple of people who dealt with the order seemed very on the ball.
The chap I generally deal with is usually pretty good. Run of the mill 6082, 316 etc I can usually get from them at a reasonable price next day most of the time.

A category for a part has say 4-5 items.

Item 1 $17 (500)
Item 2 $14.95 (225)
Item 3 $8.25 (0)
Item 4 $7.95) (0)

Items 3 and 4 have a estimated wait of 5 months.
But the most expensive stuff is always available.

Needed to pickup another 25+ Bambu X1C printers on Friday to run parts throughout the weekend. Every place our buyer called was OOS. I remembered seeing some at a local store recently and checked their website, 31 in stock and open for another two hours. We hopped in the car and raced over there ready to buy out their entire inventory. Dude in the printing department didn't know what to do so he grabbed his manager, who grabbed his manager, and so on. Ultimately stating they could only sell one per household and wouldn't budge. 30 mins later our entire shop was lined up outside, even offered to pay for random peoples carts if they'd throw one in their cart for us. End of the night we had them all back in the shop.

A category for a part has say 4-5 items.

Item 1 $17 (500)
Item 2 $14.95 (225)
Item 3 $8.25 (0)
Item 4 $7.95) (0)

Items 3 and 4 have a estimated wait of 5 months.
But the most expensive stuff is always available.
That sounds normal, lower priced item probably sells faster because cheaper = better right? But lower priced items may have a lower profit margin so priority for manufacturing goes to the higher priced ones so demand can be kept up with, when I have a lot of my own products to restock priority usually goes to the best balance of demand and profit margin, I have products that have been OOS for years because the margins are so damm tight it makes no financial sense to make more when I have 10 other products that need making that have some meat on the margin.

Needed to pickup another 25+ Bambu X1C printers on Friday to run parts throughout the weekend. Every place our buyer called was OOS. I remembered seeing some at a local store recently and checked their website, 31 in stock and open for another two hours. We hopped in the car and raced over there ready to buy out their entire inventory. Dude in the printing department didn't know what to do so he grabbed his manager, who grabbed his manager, and so on. Ultimately stating they could only sell one per household and wouldn't budge. 30 mins later our entire shop was lined up outside, even offered to pay for random peoples carts if they'd throw one in their cart for us. End of the night we had them all back in the shop.

I'll get you one if you pay for the extra one I slap in my cart....

I'm a small hobbyist, but the range in pricing can be amazing. I can understand the big guys not liking small multipart orders, but I would think that their workflow would be able to bang it out quickly and at lower cost. Wrong.

A bunch of aluminum bar and square tube:

Admiral Metals $1200
Speedy Metals(online) $500
Local small lot seller $350

I only have 1 steel supplier local to me, local as in 45 minutes north. There is another steel supplier, but their prices are insane (ALRO). Had a salesman stop by from PSC the other day and wanted to know if I would be interested in giving them a try. I sent over a few current projects for them to quote. I don't know what's worse about the whole thing. The prices they sent were astronomical. 40-100% higher than my current supplier. When I called and asked him about the pricing, he nonchalantly says, oh, yea we can match that. I said in the future, why don't you quote your best pricing. Sure he says.

I followed up with another bar needed for a project, 1 3/4 4140 PH, my current supplier quoted $325, and they quoted $265. I thought, ok, now we are getting somewhere! Until I noticed my current supplier quoted a 25ft bar and they quoted a 12 ft!

Try Walter metals in Stow. They always do good for me. I agree 100% about Alro, complete rip off. They quoted me $1500 for some 4140 and refused to deliver because I'm residential - even though my driveway is wide enough to back in a 53' trailer.
Walter quoted the same job for $500 shipped!

It would be nice if people used Google reviews for commercial vendors. Unfortunately the business world is different. Even the worst vendor might be of use in the future and burning bridges publicly brings unwanted attention.

Try Walter metals in Stow. They always do good for me. I agree 100% about Alro, complete rip off. They quoted me $1500 for some 4140 and refused to deliver because I'm residential - even though my driveway is wide enough to back in a 53' trailer.
Walter quoted the same job for $500 shipped!
Thanks, I did not know about them, and will definitely give them a call.

Mrs. O stopped to drop parts off at one of our plater's today, only to find the S/R door locked, and a note on the front door saying that they were closed for Eclipse Day.

Just before she pulled out tho, someone else pulled in from lunch and said that S&R was working, but production was closed, and she did get unloaded.

The inmates are running the asylum these days!
(employees / factories)

----------------------

I am Ox and I approve this here post!

Back