What's new
What's new

What the Heck are they?

These are two items that came with my lathe.

The bottle thingy may not be for the lathe as it looks automotive.
It has a needle valve that will adjust the amount of the fluid
(smells like oil) that will enter an airstream that is sucked from
one orfice through a small air filter.

The Lathe Thingy is made by Allen Electric & Equipment Co. of Kalamazoo
Mich. and is model E-109. It has a small electric motor 110Volts AC/DC
with a switch and there is a small round belt drive to a spindle that
looks like it could hold a very small tool of some sort. It looks like
it was made to attach to the side of the lathe bed, but I am not sure
just how.

Strange%20item%20Funny%20Lathe%20thingy.jpg

Strange%20item%20Automotive%20Bottle.jpg

Falcon, you photos are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big. You should use photo editing software to reduce the size before posting.

I would love to, but when I try by cropping it doesnt reduce them much and if I try by changing the color depth it screws up the colors so bad or screws up the resolution so bad that it really cannot be recognised anymore. What suggestion do you have? I am already using JPG which is the most efficient format. If I conver t to a less efficient format that wont help.

The lathe thingy looks like a electric motor commutator mica undercutter. Does it have a small cutting wheel?

Not sure what to say Falcon as you don't say what photo manipulation software you are using. On Corel and Adobe Photoshop you simply click on "image" then "resize" and then type in whatever dimension you want, either in inches or pixels. Simple as falling off a log.

Originally posted by TedCoffey:
The lathe thingy looks like a electric motor commutator mica undercutter. Does it have a small cutting wheel?

That sounds like you might have it there. The guy I bought the lathe from said that it was used in an automotive generator shop. How does it work? The small mandrell looks like it could have a cutting wheel attached.

Millennium,

The picture isn't coming up anymore so I'll try to remember what I saw before.
The motor mounts over the lathe so that the cutter wheel is aligned with the armature commutator slots. The handle is used to move the cutter along the commutator slot. The stops on the slide is used to limit the longitudinal travel of the cutter. I am not sure how the depth of cut is controlled as I couldn't see any adjustment for that in the picture. Your's appears to be a rather primative cutter attachment compared to those used on armature lathes
If you search on google.com for "Mica Undercutters" or "armature lathe" you can find a lot of different designs that may give you some additional insight into the one you have.

Back