What's new
What's new

What to do when the vinyl holders for your inspection tools go bad?

Bob E

Hot Rolled
What to do when the vinyl holders for your inspection tools go bad?

What I mean are the plastic folders that Starrett telescope, radius and Precision 6" feeler gauges (I often use 2 sets) come in.

I made a wood block to hold 2 sets of telescope gauges.

The radius and feeler gauges aren't so easy. I'm thinking a 3D print might be the answer, but I would like to see what others may have come up with.
Thanks.

3d printers are ideal for making things like that ... use a rubber filament like TPU 95A. If possible lay the tool on a flatbed scanner, import into an Autocad viewport, trace the outline of the tool, create an STL file in something like Fusion 360 and print it out. Print an appropriately sized cover for it. Recently printed this collet case for my loose collets. Collet-Case-1.jpg

throw them out.
Good answer. Never liked them. They reek of cheap. But gotta like the way they pack very small.

The fowler and maybe the mitutoyo radius gauge things are really bad since they let the tools fall out. I have a lufkin radius gauge set pouch not plastic still good after better part of 100 years and they don't fall out.

I wouldn't make new plastic pouches. Seems like good money after bad. I like the leather idea, but unless you can sew it yourself just buy new tools. They come in a new crummy pouch. A poor second choice and it'd be tedious but maybe leather held together with some kind of hot glue or rubber cement.

Back