What's new
What's new

What to look for when buying a milling machine?

Late to the party here but:

The dollar amount you need to pay for this depends on one thing and one thing only: the availability of any other milling machine in your area, with a price less than $2k.

The main disadvantage to the machine you show in the photos is that you cannot run it under power. The dealbreakers really are the spindle bearings. The broken handwheel, and the lack of an elevating crank, and the oddball (? maybe oddball) tooling, and the lack of a quill, are basically insignificant problems if the spinde bearings are in decent shape. Given the somewhat indiferent storage this machine suffered, this matter is indeterminate I think.

For what you want to do, it seems like a good, solid machine overall, IF it is good and solid regarding the spindle.

Thanks all for the info. After looking into some points made thought of checking it out. Got a deal for 680USD including transportation cost. Big thanks to all of you! Please let me know of the specs for the collet size i was told by the seller its a c25 or 28, really cant recall. Spindle inner runout was around 0.005mm it was more of a random surface chip jump.

Img_1.jpeg

Img_2.jpeg

Img_3.jpeg

Img_4.jpeg

Img_5.jpeg

Img_6.jpeg

Img_7.jpeg

Img_8.jpeg

Img_9.jpeg

Img_10.jpeg

Img_11.jpeg

That last picture is telling you the spindle rpm at different belt postions. Two charts one for 50 HZ and one for 60HZ.
I believe it is 50 HZ in Oz? so 1500-330 RPM for you.
Bill D

Back