What's new
What's new

What to replace the Deckel FP3NC with??

tomp

Cast Iron
Any suggestions on a compact VMC perhaps with glass scales to replace my cheerished FP3NC?
Although the FP3NC was slow with glass scales it was still deadly precise and repeatable but the old 3M control was just too fragile for a long move.

Unfortunately I'm a sitting duck when it comes to sniffing out issues with newer Asian machines control issues aside.
Sort of looking at Kitamura Mycenter 1 sized machine. I think I can handle Yasnac controls after dealing with the Sinumerik 3m zero support world.

-Tom

Do you really need glass scales? How much lobing and out-of-round do you get on you current machine? My FP2NC with scales does worse than a Haas TM-1 without scales with respect to reversal bumps when interpolating circles. The FP2NC servos are in tune, too.

Are you looking new or used? New, I’d be looking at Bridgeport V480 or V710, Hurco VMONE or VM-10, or Doosan DEM4000 or DNM4500. Plenty of compact Haas machines, too, but they mostly are a tad taller for installation.

Hi thanks for the suggestions.

No glass is not a requirement but it did work well on the FP3. The FP3 did have some wear on y-ballscrew. After that was fixed out of round milling bearing seats in aluminum was 2-3 10ths on 3" seat. Finish was very good. The machine was ok, just the old 3M Sinumerik control was unreliable and hard to get information on.

Part of the machine search equation is which used machine iron generally holds up better and how well supported is the control.
Control wise I see mostly these. Not sure what pros-cons of them are yet.
HAAS
HURCO
FANUC
YASNAC
MITSUBISHI
MAZAK

Hi thanks for the suggestions.

No glass is not a requirement but it did work well on the FP3. The FP3 did have some wear on y-ballscrew. After that was fixed out of round milling bearing seats in aluminum was 2-3 10ths on 3" seat. Finish was very good. The machine was ok, just the old 3M Sinumerik control was unreliable and hard to get information on.

Part of the machine search equation is which used machine iron generally holds up better and how well supported is the control.
Control wise I see mostly these. Not sure what pros-cons of them are yet.
HAAS
HURCO
FANUC
YASNAC
MITSUBISHI
MAZAK

For how well supported a control is, I would put Fanuc at the top of the list. If I had to take a stab at ordering those control brands in order of how well-supported, they are, I would go:
Fanuc
Mazak
Mitsubishi
Hurco
Haas
Yasnac (no longer making controls)

I guess? Other folks could very well disagree.

Back