What's new
What's new

What type of material to make a valve guide

300TD4x4

Aluminum
I need to make or resize some valve guides so I can run larger stem valves in a Ford turbo 4 cylinder motor running 25 psi boost. I tried to drill out one of the guides and it kind of cracked apart. Don't know what material it is made from but the head from which it came was from a 99 Ranger 2.5. Is bronze a suitable material or is there something better? If itt should be bronze, what type? Where can I get some? The OD is around .490 and the ID around .340.

Brian

No, plain old brass would be a bad choice for valve guides. Your application (high heat, reduceing atmosphere, poor lubrication, dry rubbing, heat transfer, low force reciprocation) requires a material especially suited for it.

Usually automotive engine valve guides are made of cast iron. Bronze works well provided you pick the right alloy and the interferance fit doesn't loosen up from the heat and the differentail thermal expansion. The only place I've seen bronze valve guides - aluminum manganese bronze - is in aluminum heads; never in cast iron.

No need to reinvent the wheel.Just go to a auto machine shop and buy 4/8 guides.Cost you 10-20 bucks,depending on what you get.You can get them in bronze or cast.They will come with 1/2"od with .343 id.Get them long enough for your needs.Ream the head to 1/2" exactly,the press will be in the guide,ream ID to .3437(11/32).Your valves should mic out to .342 or so,maybe a little less.

PEP is in Las Vegas.

Back