What's new
What's new

What would this machine be called and where to find another?

rbmgf7

Aluminum
We have this old turning center at work. It's completely hydraulically driven and controlled.

It's Japanese built and the company is called Fuji but that's all I can find on it. There's no documentation on it. My former PM hired a bunch of handymen paint the machines in the plant and the goobers often painted over plaques or removed some and never reinstalled them after painting.

All this machine does is face, face groove (for a tenon), and chamfer on both sides of the part with each process happening simultaneously. It's used for turning electric motor frame assemblies to keep the endbells concentric to the stator axis. Probably the most reliable machine we have.

It's really a great machine for high production of a single model but changing over to do different models is a PITA. There isn't really a certain way to adjust and fine tune. Fine tuning literally takes the "love tap" approach. A changeover can take up to an hour at times but compared to the CNC machines that does the same thing, this machine has a CT of no more than 2 minutes versus a single turret CNC lathe taking almost 20 minutes (takes so long due to machine restrictions and part sizes. It's really funky, trust me). But, the CNC has the advantage to model changeover just by a new program.

Wondering if there are moderns machines like this or know of a company that makes something more modern? Figure the same principle but CNC servo driven which can aid it quicker model changovers.

20220210_094839[1].jpg

20220210_094741[1].jpg

It looks like an "auto lathe" in this case with a tailstock.

W&S made bunches of these, but without a tailstock.

ward made similar ones with a peg board control. 20 years ago i sold several old ones to a local company who re built several of them for a specific job,he claimed they were far more efficient that his CNC lathes. they still have two of them that are not being used right now.

Back