What's new
What's new

what would you do?

Leave.

Or stay.

If you stay, be prepared to learn how to "Ski Moguls" down a slope, meaning, "Bend your knees". The sense I get is, like many shops, there's a lot of "Tribal Knowledge" going on because people are too busy doing what they've always done to properly transfer knowledge and training to new hires. You can get by that, but usually involves some bumps and bruises that otherwise wouldn't be necessary.

If what I've said is at least in part correct, consider being the new influence that, step by step, captures the practices, info, and techniques that might not be currently documented. I'm sure it's not a complete void and some information and instructions are documented. But take this experience, strip out any emotion/bad feelings, walk the scenario through in your mind, and perhaps write up your own personal notes and "Work Instructions".

In the long run as your notes grow you'll have the opportunity (theoretically) to become known as the Info-Guy people will choose to rely on.

Good luck to you.

If the OP is truly gifted and the employer has recognized it, maybe the best thing would be to tell the boss, "I'm going to actively begin looking for another job".
Talent is very hard to find and keep.
It sounds like the OP is either young or a bit immature IMHO.

first I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this. i don't like to get long winded but I'm at my wits end. recently i got a job in a job shop as a machinist. I interviewed for a engineering position but the company at that time needed more machinist, though the interview went really well for the eingeering spot I agreed to a spot as a machinist and was told what i would be doing as far as setting up and running mills. me personally I am a lathe guy I have a ton of experience with y axis live tool sub spindle lathes programming and setting up (witch the job I applied for was a process engineer for the lathe department) I also explained to them there might be a learning curve as I used a probe on the mills I've ran set up and programmed this place used edge finders and very outdated (no offense) practices at least in my eyes. I even walked around with the GM around the 5 axis machines and broke down how I would set up program and run a aerospace part and he was excited for me to start. so I've been here for a couple months now first week was very basic I set up and ran a 5 axis mill and a 3 axis mill my supervisor was very impressed and even told me how good I was doing and everything else however the last few weeks I've been in a de-bur room deburring parts that from my knowledge are already way past due and on a good day take about 3 hours a part to deburr. I've offered input to my supervisor to reduce the deburr time since a lot of it was pretty basic like running a chamfer mill outside of the pockets to break very sharp edges but instead of positive feed back I got " that's not your job to worry about what we do we've done it this way for years" so I asked why I was back there doing deburr work when I was hired to run a machine and was told it was because I was the new guy witch I understood so I did the work. once the order was done I went back to a machine. I cam in early one morning and was told to run a weird part and told my supervisor that I wasn't too comfortable with it and was told to ask a co worker how to do it and follow the set up notes. so I did exactly that and had a part move in the fixture so I stopped and found something else to do till the other operator who usually ran those parts came in so I could ask. I started up the machine I usually ran and did my normal thing checked the coolant warmed up the spindle and my supervisor comes over red faced mad and tells me (not ask)why did you scrap those parts there's 4 of them there when i tell you to do something you f&^%ing do it!" so I told him that I ran one and it moved I do not know were 4 came from so the normal operator said "oh must of been night shift I didn't know anyone was running it or id left a note its not your fault that's just how he is " (the supervisor). so then he comes and grabs me and ask me to set up a very old machine I told him I didn't know the control panel (97 Fadel) and asked for help. he told me what to do to the T then when I came back from break I noticed he was messing with it and threw a part on my table and said " you forgot to move your edge finder I thought I told you to pay attention!!". I didn't say anything I walked back to my machine did my task then the next morning I had parts to deburr and bend back into tolerance. yes I said that correctly bend parts back into tolerance witch no one had any clue how to do so I messed with it and messed with it and didn't get a lot done and I walk to my supervisor and told him this and his response was " its ok we will get them tomorrow I know they aren't easy" to only come in the very next day to be told I'm not trying hard enough and to pull my head out of somewhere. now I do NOT want you to think this is a bash post cause it isn't and yes I have looked for work else where but it seems like a lot of these job shops in my area have the same problems as this. I do not mind the work but as the title says in this situation what would you do with that going on?

Paragraphs and indentations are your friends.

Really, tho, start looking elsewhere.

Back