What's new
What's new

what would you do?

On a basic level, your problem is you lack respect for others. I suspect that the way others treat you is a reflection of that.

How do I know you lack respect for others?

You write a pile of shit and expect others to wade through it. It's one long run-on sentence with poor grammar and punctuation to boot. If you want people to listen to you, don't first fill their ears with goat pellets. Don't use 100 words when 10 will do.

I have to agree. I gave up only part way through.

Also, the title is so vague the thread will likely get locked.

In future I's suggest the OP start with the condensed version and only add detail after getting questions in response.

Another suggestion is to add some blank lines so the post is broken into paragraphs.

I have to agree. I gave up only part way through.

Also, the title is so vague the thread will likely get locked. Hmmmmm

In future I's suggest the OP start with the condensed version and only add detail after getting questions in response.

Another suggestion is to add some blank lines so the post is broken into paragraphs.

Milacron already said he wasn't going to close is because it's his first thread...

O
You write a pile of shit and expect others to wade through it. It's one long run-on sentence with poor grammar and punctuation to boot. If you want people to listen to you, don't first fill their ears with goat pellets. Don't use 100 words when 10 will do.

I was beginning to think TrueTurning had changed his handle.

Milacron already said he wasn't going to close is because it's his first thread...

I have to say I am / was super dyslexic and ADD and at one point I would have not been able to write anything better than what OP posted here - to be frank.

Sometimes people have trouble with this... [Takes time to learn ]. esp. folks with weaker social and written skills that might be more visual / "unequally gifted".

you know like 95% of the machining community and 99.999 % of a community that would never post here in the first place for many valid / sensible reasons including time.

If OP's post is legit - he or she took a risk of sorts.

first I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this.

i don't like to get long winded but I'm at my wits end. recently i got a job in a job shop as a machinist. I interviewed for a engineering position but the company at that time needed more machinist, though the interview went really well for the eingeering spot I agreed to a spot as a machinist and was told what i would be doing as far as setting up and running mills. me personally I am a lathe guy I have a ton of experience with y axis live tool sub spindle lathes programming and setting up (witch the job I applied for was a process engineer for the lathe department) I also explained to them there might be a learning curve as I used a probe on the mills I've ran set up and programmed this place used edge finders and very outdated (no offense) practices at least in my eyes.

I even walked around with the GM around the 5 axis machines and broke down how I would set up program and run a aerospace part and he was excited for me to start.

so I've been here for a couple months now first week was very basic I set up and ran a 5 axis mill and a 3 axis mill my supervisor was very impressed and even told me how good I was doing and everything else

however the last few weeks I've been in a de-bur room deburring parts that from my knowledge are already way past due and on a good day take about 3 hours a part to deburr.

I've offered input to my supervisor to reduce the deburr time since a lot of it was pretty basic like running a chamfer mill outside of the pockets to break very sharp edges but instead of positive feed back I got " that's not your job to worry about what we do we've done it this way for years" so I asked why I was back there doing deburr work when I was hired to run a machine and was told it was because I was the new guy witch I understood so I did the work.

once the order was done I went back to a machine. I cam in early one morning and was told to run a weird part and told my supervisor that I wasn't too comfortable with it and was told to ask a co worker how to do it and follow the set up notes. so I did exactly that and had a part move in the fixture so I stopped and found something else to do till the other operator who usually ran those parts came in so I could ask. I started up the machine I usually ran and did my normal thing checked the coolant warmed up the spindle and my supervisor comes over red faced mad and tells me (not ask)why did you scrap those parts there's 4 of them there when i tell you to do something you f&^%ing do it!" so I told him that I ran one and it moved I do not know were 4 came from so the normal operator said "oh must of been night shift I didn't know anyone was running it or id left a note its not your fault that's just how he is " (the supervisor). so then he comes and grabs me and ask me to set up a very old machine I told him I didn't know the control panel (97 Fadel) and asked for help. he told me what to do to the T then when I came back from break I noticed he was messing with it and threw a part on my table and said " you forgot to move your edge finder I thought I told you to pay attention!!".

I didn't say anything I walked back to my machine did my task then the next morning

I had parts to deburr and bend back into tolerance.

yes I said that correctly bend parts back into tolerance witch no one had any clue how to do so I messed with it and messed with it and didn't get a lot done and I walk to my supervisor and told him this and his response was " its ok we will get them tomorrow I know they aren't easy" to only come in the very next day to be told I'm not trying hard enough and to pull my head out of somewhere. now I do NOT want you to think this is a bash post cause it isn't and yes I have looked for work else where but it seems like a lot of these job shops in my area have the same problems as this. I do not mind the work but as the title says in this situation what would you do with that going on?

OTOH three weeks in the de-burr room working with specific parts might give you a better visceral "FEEL" and idea how to program sim-5 axis chamfering for the specific part families in question.

Sort of "Wax on, wax off" Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita RIP) Karate Kid , kind of thing / scenario*.

There's a LOT of things you can't FEEL in CAD. and CAD-driven - CAM

Maybe various family members of the company owner also work in the de-burring room ;-)

And yes parts doooo get bent back into tolerance. Stress relief and how to take such distortions out programmatically also requires a practical feel for what's going on - where are the stresses, and where are they being released + physical strain to attempt to correct (if appropriate) . The materials and parts need to be understood in an intrinsic and intuitive way also, not just fighting with inspection issues.

It could be your bosses and supervisors may have "grander" plans for you if you can get an actual close up real-handle on stuff (without making any assumptions) ?

^^^ I admit that's a bit of a rationalization but certainly not unheard of.

Seems like paying attention is super important !

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

** Without "Being there" it's a bit of a one sided story. Not like two of your co-workers can chime in on this thread or the GM or your supervisor or anyone else that may have worked there for 20 years ++

Color me surprised, you're in Washington, snowflake capital of the world.

There is no need to get a lawyer, if you don't like your work environment.....leave.

So you approve of this sort of treatment?

Running away sounds like a true snow flake to me!

Money is the only real way to fight this.

Get it on video get a lawyer and fight for what is right!

Or run away like a snow flake and shut the F up.

I'll bet everyone is feeling threatened because they saw him walking around with the GM and not the supervisor. And they already had their comfy little social arrangements. And here comes the OP with the huge title and qualifications and etc... been there done that.

My experience is that places which pull a "bait-and-switch" aren't worth the time of day no matter how badly you need a job. My experience is that tiny minds will always find ways to cut you down just to make themselves look big. Its not like they actually care about the company. Consistency is the hobgoblin of tiny minds, e.g. "It's OK when we do it!!"

At least for my case, it simply isn't worth the time and energy to deal with such. Life is too short and I've lost enough brain cells already.

Curious, what part of NY are you in? There are more than a few shops hiring in my area, both for production and engineering.
I thank goodness I'm not looking, but maybe I can offer suggestions.

What I would do is use a descriptive title for my post instead of a come on.

If I were you, I would also learn what paragraphs and sentences are and how to use them.

Finally, I would focus on doing an honest day's work instead of sabotaging my employer and then asking on forums for sympathy from strangers when your narcissistic schemes go south.

There isn't any (covert) psychological manipulation occurring, just a typical workplace.

One manager is a stupid sadist, another is a stupid narcissistic- and they change roles on certain days.

The big boss tells everyone exactly what they want to hear,with saccharine 'Wow, that was the most brilliant scheme I've ever heard, my only applicant, I'll hire you'

You're 90% of the workforce.

Above all, don't get any idea whatsoever that they're going to listen to anything you have to say. If you still believe so, you're too insane to be running about at your own liberty.

Do what they say and graze until something better comes along.

If the company has piles of parts sitting around late, waiting for hand deburring because they REFUSE to do any deburring on the machine, you do not want to work there.

So you approve of this sort of treatment?

Running away sounds like a true snow flake to me!

Money is the only real way to fight this.

Get it on video get a lawyer and fight for what is right!

Or run away like a snow flake and shut the F up.

No, I'm just not a huge puss like you.
Oh and show me the part where the supervisor threw parts at him....

Your problem is that you are just waiting for something to be fake outraged about that when you read the words "threw a part on the table" you failed to comprehend what you were reading.

Really...it sounds like every shop I've ever worked in. I've been here 3.5 years and I still have to fight battles because I'm not doing it the way it was done in 1970...I have more wire edm experience than all the other guys put together yet they still want to try to act like they know it all. It's quite funny actually.

My wife came home the other night bitching about work. Complaining about the boss, gossip, and petty nonsense fighting between coworkers.

I asked her if she worked at the Practical Machinist forum....Then I went out on the deck and had a beer and cigar.

I'll bet everyone is feeling threatened because they saw him walking around with the GM and not the supervisor. And they already had their comfy little social arrangements. And here comes the OP with the huge title and qualifications and etc... been there done that.

I'm not sure that OP did have the huge title and qualifications...

My experience is that places which pull a "bait-and-switch" aren't worth the time of day no matter how badly you need a job. My experience is that tiny minds will always find ways to cut you down just to make themselves look big. Its not like they actually care about the company. Consistency is the hobgoblin of tiny minds, e.g. "It's OK when we do it!!"

I've been lucky about those situations but had to take responsibility for turning things around. - It is super annoying when it happens and even if one makes the best of a situation that one is able to benefit from, but in retrospect leaves a slightly bitter sense of disgruntlement (for want of a better word).

At least for my case, it simply isn't worth the time and energy to deal with such. Life is too short and I've lost enough brain cells already.

Aye...

Curious, what part of NY are you in? There are more than a few shops hiring in my area, both for production and engineering.

I thank goodness I'm not looking, but maybe I can offer suggestions.

^^^ I was thinking the same thing,

Hardinge seems to be hiring now for their newer "Made in America" push.

That is definitely one work place that is not filled with maniacal douche bags, (at least not yet) :-).

Nice folks.

Really...it sounds like every shop I've ever worked in. I've been here 3.5 years and I still have to fight battles because I'm not doing it the way it was done in 1970...I have more wire edm experience than all the other guys put together yet they still want to try to act like they know it all. It's quite funny actually.

HEHEHE...

1970s - aren't you lucky...

I've had to argue with USAF / USAF officers to push against things that have been done the same way since the 1930s...

Back