What's new
What's new

what's with the usps? i've shipped parts and ordered materials and no dice?

I helped a guy install a new phone system in a large postal sorting facility.
The amount of PLC's and servo motors/ servo drives operating the conveyor system
was mind boggling. On a certain day we got access to the offices of the postal inspection/ fraud department. It was surreal. Fancy Pew pews hung on the wall, shorties laying on desks. They acted like we wern't even there, zero eye contact, but I'm sure they were aware. I was a bit uneasy for sure.

Everything up here goes thru St Paul Sort, then to Eau Claire b4 Cable, never Mil

They will send Media mail thru an inspection facility, saw that frequently.

Wonder what's changed to turn things bad as people have described?

'Wonder what's changed to turn things bad as people have described? '
Might be Covid emergency changed expectations regarding time off and now management is unable to return to pre-covid work rules?---Just a guess.

Not USPS but FedEx. We sent a $60,000 tester to OEM for calibration. Went to an old incorrect address, but still the same company. They sent it to the correct plant via FedEx with no insurance. FedEx lost it and gave us back $168.

This is not over.............

been super variable for me. Some checks have taken an age to arrive and some parcels a long time to deliver (especially, ahem, the heavy ones), but other packages have arrived within 2 days. Thankfully nothing I send is time sensitive and those flat rate packages are phenomenal value, so I'll just roll with it.

USPS lost a package on me a few years back and we stopped using them for everything. Went back to UPS, and figured out how to print my own labels and drop boxes off across the street.

I had checks go from outside of Boston, all the way to Cincinnati and get end up taking 2 weeks to get to me. I am only 90 miles west of Boston. I think they changed their sorting centers and bought new equipment. They then ship everything to these centers and then have them sorted and sent back out, and its supposed to be more efficient.

UPS has flat rate shipping and costs are similar to USPS. UPS is also not a government organization, so it has an incentive to be run better.

I live near the New Stanton, Pa facility and know that they're eliminating something like 160 jobs and getting rid of an entire shift or the people that load the trucks.

Even before they announced this, my next day McMaster orders have been taking taking an extra day.

Possible it's out of their hands, regardless of the parcel service.

Everyone remembers the immense train looting that went on and on in Cali?

Those are somebody's packages1710527011603.png

apparently , all my orders are stagnating in palmetto ga. ...so probably not tent-meth
looters in CA.

i did , however, get a uni-t multimeter from china , and a bag of screws
from Tennessee that didn't route thru palmetto.

Shortly some dude
carried it out from the back, who had never washed
his hair in months, and probably never had taken a
bath in just as long. Smelled like weed, and totally
clueless. Thanks fella. -Doozer

Government worker huh? Lemme take a shot at it, lemme know how I did...
Doped up, Countless adopted disabilities, Self righteous, 97% a dependocrat., self serving, Subaru with a kayak on the roof, outspoken and sporting those rubber shoes with the holes in them.

Post is the same here ...........I was waiting on some bike parts from England .....checked the tracking every hour for weeks ......then I happen to notice a card in my mailbox saying the package was uncollected and had been sent back to sender ...in England.

Doped up, Countless adopted disabilities, Self righteous, 97% a dependocrat., self serving, Subaru with a kayak on the roof, outspoken and sporting those rubber shoes with the holes in them.
Worked for the VA and hated it so bad I walked out.
Wicked, wicked frau that hate you so much it's beyond belief- Far worse than what you describe.
In each department I worked in.
Veterans: Mop floors and empty garbage-
I'm not j/k, BY LAW.

The only job gov't requires be filled by vets.

How come you guys have such bad luck ? I've used the post office (and craigslist) a bunch, in SF, in Alameda, in Blaine, in Bellingham, in San Luis Obispo, in San Rafael, and the worst thing that's ever happened is I had to stand in line. Once in a while they are kind of grumpy. They have been cheaper, easier and faster for the past twenty years.

How come you guys have such bad luck ? I've used the post office (and craigslist) a bunch, in SF, in Alameda, in Blaine, in Bellingham, in San Luis Obispo, in San Rafael, and the worst thing that's ever happened is I had to stand in line. Once in a while they are kind of grumpy. They have been cheaper, easier and faster for the past twenty years.
Is that current use or sometime decades ago?

Is that current use or sometime decades ago?
October November of 2023. Four months ago. The one in Alameda was friendlier than the one in SF, but otherwise about the same.

Do you think they fell apart since then ? Anything's possible I guess, but seems unlikely ?

I'm not head over heels in love with the post office but every time I have dealt with them, they've been fine.

Packages delayed?

I've worked in the maintenance dept. at one of the large processing facilities for 40 years and have seen some real screw-ups. For the most part though they do a pretty decent job. I also run an Ebay store and use the USPS for all of my shipping with no problems.
I once ordered packages from two cities in Ohio on the same day. A quick tracking check showed they were both picked up and were in transit, and a day or two later, had arrived at a processing facility. I thought great, they will leave my plant, go to the local post office, and be delivered the next day.
One was.
This was the week before Christmas so things were a bit hectic.

The second didn't arrive, so I checked again to verify that it had arrived at a regional processing plant. It did......in Honolulu Hawaii !
It sat there for several days because the other "well known" freight carrier that the USPS contracts with to fly our mail and parcels didn't take it off the plane in Portland, and once it made it to Hawaii, the planes were too full to bring it back for a couple of days. (The post office doesn't have its own airline and contracts with the other carriers)
It did arrive a few days later.
I've had far worse experiences with UPS and FedEx. (lost or empty boxes arriving)
Given the monumental task of delivering hundreds of millions of packages to millions of different addresses every day there's bound to be a few screw-ups among them all.
Dave

He did carry the package out. Whaddaya want? Somebody who believes exactly the way you do? If he did, he sure as hell wouldn't be carrying the package out, he'd be standing there bitching about how everything has gone to shit and everybody else is a stoner or a yuppie or wrong, or stood in the back, out of sight, ignoring you. After all, you're a jerk just grifting off the system with wrong views. Why the hell would you deserve your package?

Have some consideration for different folks.

October November of 2023. Four months ago. The one in Alameda was friendlier than the one in SF, but otherwise about the same.

Do you think they fell apart since then ? Anything's possible I guess, but seems unlikely ?

I'm not head over heels in love with the post office but every time I have dealt with them, they've
The "net says" over 30,000 post offices in the U.S. so no doubt each individuals experience will vary.
Just a guess is the problem possibly lies at main distribution hubs. My experience with the local USPS has been pretty good but a lot depends on individuals and how they do thier job---no different than any other business.

i have switched to using USPS for everything short of someone insisting on fedex or usp.
i hav had horific luck with ups.
this year they dropped a water pump off a few mile down the road and the box had my phone number on it, the guy was on vacation but when he got home he called and i went and got the box.
year before ups dropp a half dozen large bocs of suplies i ordered in a yard to get rained on and i called then they told me where they droped the stuff i said it aint my place and they wanted me to go get i said not the stuff set there for almost a year i called the company i bought it from and they resent the order with Fedex

Back